New Phuket airport terminal to get first test run

webfact

New Phuket airport terminal to get first test run

Yutthawat Lekmak

1473306702_1-org.jpg

The new X-Terminal will officially open on Sept 16. Photo: Mark Knowles

PHUKET: -- The new terminal at Phuket International Airport will be given its first test run later today (Sept 8) when a Shenzhen Airline flight from China arrives at 6:20pm.

An official from Phuket International Airport who declined to be named confirmed to The Phuket News yesterday (Sept 7) that passengers on Shenzhen Airline flight ZH9038, scheduled to land at 6:20pm, would be the first to pass through the new X-Terminal.

Full story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/new-phuket-airport-terminal-to-get-first-test-run-59013.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2016-09-08

15 minutes ago, Old Croc said:

17 minutes ago, Old Croc said:

I seem to recall there was another first test run a few months back.

My thoughts exactly.

Looking at the flights due to land there it looks like it could be one terminal for the Chinese and one terminal for the rest!

:wai2::wai2::wai2:                          :yohan::yohan::yohan:

45 minutes ago, madmitch said:

My thoughts exactly.

Looking at the flights due to land there it looks like it could be one terminal for the Chinese and one terminal for the rest!

:wai2::wai2::wai2:                          :yohan::yohan::yohan:

I like your depiction of passenger queues there Mitch. The last one on the right looks a bit like me.

11 hours ago, Brer Fox said:

Give it ten years and it will be closed and covered in cobwebs. The Chinese are a fickle mob.

The Chinese Tourism Minister just commented that overseas travel is expected to plateau this year.  With Thailand a top destination, TAT shouldn't be expecting big increases in arrivals from China.  But you know their forecast for next year will still show hefty increases. TIT.

8 hours ago, Torrens54 said:

Let them have their fun... any excuse for another Photo Opportunity with "The right people" proudly showing everyone what a grande thing they've spent all that money on.

Yep, coz progress is a terrible thing in some people's worlds, isn't it?

The current X terminal was built on the old football field, on the south side of the airport.  It is used to accommodate Chinese charter groups who check in at Terminal X, and are then bussed round to immigration in the existing main terminal.

This new terminal looks like a mini-Swampy building - quite impressive.  My understanding is that it will be used for all international flights, X-Terminal will remain for Chinese charter flights, and terminals 1 and 2 will be for domestic flights.

I just saw a sign on the main road saying that the new international terminal will officially open on 16th September.

Don't forget the renovation of the existing terminals when the new one is up and running.

From Wikipedia

Current design capacity (T1/T2):   6.5 million (2015 - 12.9 million passengers)

Future capacity:   12.5 million

New terminal 3. capacity works out at 6 million.

So for however long I takes to renovate, capacity will be lower than today.

Edited by GiantFan