working outside the remit of a WP

How seriously do immigration take it when people work outside the remit of their work permit? (Especially if the second form of work has nothing to do with what the WP is for).

Do they actually do anything about it?

If they do do something about it, what do they do?

Thanks.

I'm sure e.g. if your work permit states that you are an English teacher at a school in location X and the cops find you selling burgers you would get problems. 

But actually its a good question.. where do they draw the line? I mean my work permit states "marketing" as my job at our BKK office, so when I get milk and coffee beans from Tops, or assemble a TV that arrived to our office, I am breaking the law? Or if I meet a customer at a coffee shop instead of our office, am I breaking the law because I'm working at a different location as specified by the work permit? 

It's all so dumb anyway. I'm the manager/chef (stated in the work permit) of a restaurant. I was "caught" by the tourist police for helping my staff carry food from a car into the kitchen. Which is apparently "manual labor" and not allowed.

So I wouldn't do anything outside your work permit specification. I'm not sure i'm even allowed to lift a pen.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, zib said:

It's all so dumb anyway. I'm the manager/chef (stated in the work permit) of a restaurant. I was "caught" by the tourist police for helping my staff carry food from a car into the kitchen. Which is apparently "manual labor" and not allowed.

So I wouldn't do anything outside your work permit specification. I'm not sure i'm even allowed to lift a pen.

This is beyond ridiculous, did you have to pay something?

• Like 1

How is this the jurisdiction of the tourist police?

This is a labor department, immigration matter.

What was the outcome?

There is no one answer to this question. It will depend on the circumstances of the case, the disposition of the officer, the location the work is being done at, etc.

Random checks, enforcement and prosecution can and do happen.

The "manual labor" case above sounds more like a shakedown for a bribe than legitimate enforcement of the law, but that happens too. Foreigners working at bars and restaurants in touristy areas get harassed like this all the time. White collar workers in nice offices, less so.

2 hours ago, SS1 said:

This is beyond ridiculous, did you have to pay something?

5k under the table... Or go to court with max 20k fine.

Same week they arrested a german in a nearby restaurant for cleaning a table in his restaurant. And another european for driving a car with a company logo on it. Operating vechicles is only allowed for thai people...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, itsuptome said:

There is no one answer to this question. It will depend on the circumstances of the case, the disposition of the officer, the location the work is being done at, etc.

Random checks, enforcement and prosecution can and do happen.

The "manual labor" case above sounds more like a shakedown for a bribe than legitimate enforcement of the law, but that happens too. Foreigners working at bars and restaurants in touristy areas get harassed like this all the time. White collar workers in nice offices, less so.

I'm pretty sure , after consulting a lawyer little bit also, that all "offences" i mentioned above are within the rules. It's more like you said a shakedown. Most will pay to avoid going to court. I am planning on going to the employment office soon to maybe get some paper or something specifying what is within the rules. Or atleast a phone number that I could call if it happens again.