Customer drives straight into Bangkok department store through the window - but police deem no charges are necessary

webfact

Customer drives straight into Bangkok department store through the window - but police deem no charges are necessary

p4.jpg

Image: Sanook

BANGKOK: -- A customer at a famous department store in Sukhumvit Road, Bangkok, drove straight through the glass into the food court area.

The white car ended up next to the lifts amid masses of shards of shattered glass, reported Sanook.

But no charges were laid as the driver had insurance and agreed damages with the store.

The accident happened yesterday at the underground floor of the department store that was not named.

Somsak Mongkhonkhunkorn of the Thong Lor police told reporters that the car belonged to a customer of the department store who was leaving.

Or supposed to be leaving - instead the driver had driven through the glass frontage of the underground car park.

Somsak said that the insurance company was called and an agreement was reached with the owners of the store regarding damages so no charges were laid in the matter.

No injuries were reported and the car suffered minimal damage, he said.

Source: Sanook

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2016-09-09

They're not exactly probing minds at Sanook, are they? If I were a reporter, I'd want to know how it happened -- not if the driver had insurance when the accident happened (at a store that is apparently so famous its name can't be mentioned). 

Edited by Inn Between

32 minutes ago, ratcatcher said:

Since it was on private property, no charges were laid and an amicable agreement was reached.I expect the driver was too embarrassed. 

Who is smart enough to guess the name of the department store?

Em...something... 

I would send the driver for a retest of driving ability... 

It's all over other papers as Emquartier, which anyone with half a brain can identify from the photos anyway. What's with the wierd self censorship?

Also it was caused by a jammed pedal, according to a site more detailedr than sanook.com.

Edited by the donger

36 minutes ago, the donger said:

It's all over other papers as Emquartier, which anyone with half a brain can identify from the photos anyway. What's with the wierd self censorship?

Also it was caused by a jammed pedal, according to a site more detailedr than sanook.com.

Last I checked, I still have at least half a brain left, but as I don't live in Bangkok and never go shopping there, even if I had 2 brains the photo wouldn't have helped one iota. But thanks for sharing the cause. 

57 minutes ago, the donger said:

A jammed pedal does not propel a car with ignition turned off...

1 hour ago, Inn Between said:

Last I checked, I still have at least half a brain left, but as I don't live in Bangkok and never go shopping there, even if I had 2 brains the photo wouldn't have helped one iota. But thanks for sharing the cause. 

My bad, it want meant to sound insulting to anyone. I just mean the fact there are photos, it makes the paper trying to report it as an "unnamed mall" seem very silly.

Obviously 'standing' around we have to ensure we are protected from issues / accidents / stupidity such as this.... especially when with Children... 

I am on high alert whenever outside - however, inside a Shopping Mall ??? this is a little nuts !

I'd like to see an intelligent response, where customers are protected accidents and stupidity such as this - The store should look at installing anti-collision bollards in potentially vulnerable areas. 

It looks like an accident, nobody got hurt all damages paid for why arrest the driver.

May be a driver awareness course might be appropriate but I personally think that 95% of thai drivers and quite a few falang ones would need that.

The most dangerous thing I do in Thailand is stepping into the street.  I refuse to drive.  I've tried it.  It's not so bad up in Issan.  My buddy did break his back and neck while riding a Honda Gold Wing up in Yasothan a few years ago.

Some genius pulled out from the shoulder, in pitch black, with no light on his scooter. My buddy was in the hospital for 6 months. Severe head injury as well.  He was never right again. "lights were on but nobody home"

Damn shame, nice guy give ya the shirt off his back.   The genius's family hounded my buddy constantly at the hospital for money.  It took the US Embassy intervening to get him out of the country...

3 hours ago, the donger said:

My bad, it want meant to sound insulting to anyone. I just mean the fact there are photos, it makes the paper trying to report it as an "unnamed mall" seem very silly.

LOL   I wasn't at all insulted. I was just amused at your assumption that everybody who reads this forum would have knowledge of Bangkok's finest shopping venues, and I thought your wording about being mentally deficient if that wasn't the case was funny.

I was also (sarcastically) making the same point in my first post about the silliness of them not mentioning the mall, especially when in these days of viral social media everybody would quickly know.  

2 hours ago, lvr181 said:

"...no charges were laid..."  Normal everyday driving then? Or a "connected" person who should be kowtowed (prostrate before, bow, scrape and lick boots) to? :whistling:

Ok kids, drive how u like just so long as you have money!

If they could afford to shop there, then yes.