Where to check tyre pressure in BKK or how to use those air bottles at gas stations?

SS1

Is there any good place in Bangkok to check the air pressure for big bike tubeless tyres? I mean like one of those "regular" systems you see in developed countries where you choose the pressure on a digital screen, attach the hose, click a button and the pressure will be adjusted automatically. I live near MRT Rama 9 and only saw those air canisters on wheels at the closest gas stations.. 

Alternatively, can anyone explain how to use those air canisters? Do you first have to fill/empty the air canister to a desired pressure level and then connect to your tyre? I tried to play with one for a bit but didn't guite figure out how to use it if I want to have a specific pressure in my tyres. 

Thanks in advance. 

Most shell stations have the 'regular' systems you speak of.

Those tanks have gauges normally but seldom work. Apply to valve and pull the trigger. no way of knowing the pressure though. A cheap tyre pressure gauge can be bought at Tesco, Big C etc.

32 minutes ago, macknife said:

Thanks, gotta have a look again. Just went to the Shell on Asok Monti road and saw one of those canisters lying around, but gotta check properly next time. 

If you are going to be fussy , and require a "specific" pressure in your tires ( LOL ) , you would be advised to do it yourself. Check in the bike manual and use your own LCD guage. Those tanks are blown to a high pressure. You just guess when to remove the nozzel. Another reason why i use Shell stations.  Free air ! .

1 hour ago, ktm jeff said:

If you are going to be fussy , and require a "specific" pressure in your tires ( LOL ) , you would be advised to do it yourself. Check in the bike manual and use your own LCD guage. Those tanks are blown to a high pressure. You just guess when to remove the nozzel. Another reason why i use Shell stations.  Free air ! .

I don't know what funny there is about requiring a specific pressure on a big bike. Having an the correct pressure is pretty important, no? especially when you ride them hard. But to Shell I shall go then! 

Do you ride a KTM as well based on your username :D? 

Best to buy our own pressure gauge and if you have a car/truck get a small air comp as well where you get the power from the cigarette power outlet. 

My big bike tubeless tires looses app 5 psi per month so I normally check/pump every 2 weeks or so.

The small road side bike shops will give you air for about 10baht but they just pump up until they thinks it's okay, not good enough on a big bike but okay for my scooters as I sort of can fell if it's okay or not and +- 5 psi is not the end of the world.

There's nothing funny to be fussy about tire pressures. In fact, I check every 1-2 weeks. Remember your psi measurement is for cold tires so if the gas station is 5-10 minutes away, during this time, the tires warm up and the psi increases.

For example, you ride out your bike with 30psi. The psi that you want is 36psi.

As you arrive at the gas station, the psi may have increased to 32psi. When you filled up the air pressure, you may have put an extra 4psi in, making it 36psi (Hot tires). But in reality the psi is only 34psi (Cold Tires).

Do purchase your own tire gauge, it's cheap at most supermarkets. There are two methods to try to get as close as possible to the psi range for cold tires.

1) In the morning before departing, measure the cold tire pressure of the front and rear. So you have an idea of how much more is needed. Once you reach the gas station, you fill that much extra up regardless of what it says at the gas station pump. Most likely the number that shows up at the pump will be 2-4psi higher than what you want. If you want 34psi, it would show 36psi due to hot tires.

2) Go to the pump station and fill up to 36-40psi, important to keep in the safe range. 42psi is the max for most tires I believe. Never go above this. Take the bike home, park it. Next morning, release the air by pressing on the valve stem in the middle, until it is exactly the cold tire pressure that you need. This method works if you are not going to be using it for the day. We wouldn't want to be riding in excessive psi after we leave the gas station would we? =)

On 9/9/2016 at 5:06 PM, macknife said:

Those tanks have gauges normally but seldom work. Apply to valve and pull the trigger. no way of knowing the pressure though. A cheap tyre pressure gauge can be bought at Tesco, Big C etc.

Never seen a shell with the correct machines as ptt.

Do it yourself. Buy a pressure gauge and a tyre pump you can buy in hardware stores, even Big C, and  it plugs into the  cigarette lighter or equivalent of your car. They are not expensive, very portable. I've been using the same one for years. They come in a compact box.

I've seen many petrol stations with automatic pressure pumps.  Set the pressure, plug in and bob's your uncle when the pressure is obtained.  Certainly on most main routes into BKK and surround.  Maybe in BKK built-up areas they don't exist.  I have been using them on   my travels for some years.

Like you I make sure pressure is good on the car and  bike. As noted, go buy a tire gauge and at the same time get a multi-purpose pump for 299, the one you put your two feet holding it down with a T handle.  This pump will also inflate your car tires if you have a car. I have a two gauges for the bike and car.  Instead of gas station you can stop at any motorbike repair shop and use their air hose for 5 baht.

• 2 weeks later...

I wonder if the gas station machines read pressure accurately?

They must be expensive so there's a good chance, but like a public water filter it never gets maintained.

I pump and check my pressure with a Lezyne bicycle floor pump which matches a pen gauge I have, but neither are as accurate as a good digital or oil filled race gauge.

I run my pressure a few psi low for better grip than longevity.