How do young Thai people find a job?

simon43

A typical educated Thai family without a farang connection are not really lazy . They will find jobs , and get the income needed for the family .  But if a farang is in the house or nearby I believe it is easy to get lazy if the cash keeps coming..... 

But there are a few exceptions , my friend's daughter work in 7 eleven , I think the salary is 12000.  At least she can take care of herself and are willing to work and that's important . 

all this let me think about the future of my gf's 2 children (10 an 11 yo).... not really want the small girl will get a job in patt.... no have money enough and no really interesting connections to buy them a very good situation . sorry , but i'm not very optimistic about this... i'm just hoping they won't become too lazy , whatever they learn quite well at school or not...

Thai son or daughter cannot or will not get a job?Look no further than the co-dependent relationship between the mothers and their offspring.If the mother is encouraging their skiving than the chances are quite poor that they will develop the motivation to find employment for themselves whatever you as a "farang" might have to say on the matter.

An Issan woman was talking to me about this last week as she was puzzled as to why her foreign husband was insistent that her precious little somchai-only 23 years of age and with a wife and child to support-should have to go out and find a job.

"Why,why, when I married a farang...."

I believe the more pertinent question to your niece would be:

"Why haven't you started looking for jobs on the online portals yet? JobsDB/Jobtopgun etc."

"Have you visited any hotels/bars/restaurants to ask them if they need any staff?"

Are there issues w.r.t to her literacy?

Does she have basic computer skills?

Does she know how to put together a CV?

She might run into roadblocks due to lack of qualifications.

You said she has completed a hospitality 'course', not a bachelor's degree, what about a vocational degree?

As others have said, a lot of establishments may post job vacancies right outside the venue esp. entry-level positions.

Perhaps she should scout Phuket for such establishments, and walk-in for further inquiries.

On 9/11/2016 at 8:39 PM, balo said:

A typical educated Thai family without a farang connection are not really lazy . They will find jobs , and get the income needed for the family .  But if a farang is in the house or nearby I believe it is easy to get lazy if the cash keeps coming..... 

But there are a few exceptions , my friend's daughter work in 7 eleven , I think the salary is 12000.  At least she can take care of herself and are willing to work and that's important . 

If they continued to work with a farang in the house funding their lifestyle, they'd probably be accused of being greedy. So they can't win either way.

As for your friend's daughter most of that 12k she earns will be sent back to her family to repay the debt she owes them. If she lives in Patong she probably shares the room with three other girls and has very little in the way of privacy. But at least she only has to pay a quarter of the normal rent and electricity.

Average monthly wages in Thailand for the working class: http://www.tradingeconomics.com/thailand/wages

I have a 19 year old Step Son, who basically is/was the same. Worst thing is, the amount of stupidity, laziness and total lack of ambition of any kind in these kids. Only thing you can do is cut the access to all money and force her to take a job, is she wants to stay in the house. My Step Son now works in a restaurant for 40 THB an hour. Better than nothing and better than him just laying around watching TV all day. 

But for sure the guy will never amount to anything and will never make a decent wage in life. I see a lot of these kinds of kids and may of his friends are the same. I am guessing he will "wake up" when he is around 30-40 years old and realised that he totally washed his life down the toilet. And I am sure, that he at that time will also sit looking at me for help. (which I will not give him)

Edited by khunpa

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/12/2016 at 7:36 AM, KittenKong said:

I get the impression that the only reason that most Thais find any work at all is because foreigners are prohibited from doing the job.

For the longest time I thought I was the only one that felt that.

There are LINE groups, Facebook groups and proper job websites aplenty. Some sites are bilingual, others only in Thai. They all do a fairly brisk trade in both job seekers and employers judging by the turnover rate of the postings. 

There are entire website ecosystems dedicated to doing what it takes to secure coveted jobs such as those as pilots, air hostesses, architects etc and of course the most coveted of them all, the civil service job (which includes teachers) which is viewed by many as a job for life that is nigh on impossible to be sacked from. 

I won't list them here because if you know how to use Google in English you know how to use it in Thai. 

The job hunting avenues are all there in much the same way as they are in the west, but what holds many fresh school / university leavers back is their lack of imagination and / or guidance from people who should know better. 

Edited by Trembly

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 9/10/2016 at 3:35 AM, Oxx said:

Tell her to stop being so lazy, and to go to around hotels and ask to speak to the HR Manager.

I agree , but why should she do that when she has a Falang. I got a 19 year old the same,  set her up in business selling clothes, She can quite easily double the money We outlaid for her, But we get  all the excuses, To Hot, Too Busy, got things to do, But in reality she just sits on her arse playing games on the wifi we paid for. Lazy comes to mind,  It is hard to find employment as there are so many desperate people wanting work in Thailand, Most of those who are working are Burmese, Cambodian, they are Building Thailand 

You could equate this topic with every teenager in every country in the world. My solution was simple. He is going to join the police when hes 21. 19yrs old now. Right lad what you going to do for two years?. Dont know no jobs out there really. Ok so theres no jobs out there so how you going to afford to buy a M/c, go out with your mates and eat?.

Er ok will go tomorrow and look. One week latter Dad got a job its not great pay 10,000 pm

Can i still use your M/c for a few months

Well done by the way the M/c is yours.

10 hours ago, Happy Grumpy said:

Of course it is.

That's why you stick their lazy arse's in there.

Motivation to go get a real F'ing job.

Obviously you know about thai culture, Its who you know , if you get a job, Its not as easy as you think, There are Burmese, Cambodians who will do a day's work for 200 baht a day.

2 hours ago, Happy Grumpy said:

Yeah, on building sites, kitchen hands, gas stations and fishing boats.

Aim a wee bit higher than that for your kids, eh. 

We can aim for tbe sky for our kids. But at the end of the day they will do what they want to do not what we would like them to do in most cases. My mom and dad wanted me to go into engineering as an apprentice. I had other idea's. I stuck with my idea's.