How do young Thai people find a job?

simon43

Mods, please place this in a more suitable forum if you see fit.

One of my Thai nieces (19 years old) is unemployed, despite completing a Hospitality course at college, and despite living in Phuket where many hotels are crying out for Thai staff.

I asked her if she had emailed hotels with a speculative email, or if she had checked out relevant job websites.  The reply was 'no'. 

It got me thinking.  How does the average young Thai person who has completed school (M6) or a basic college course go about getting a job?

I'm sure there is word of mouth.  But is there also a Thai language website forum or Facebook or LINE site which lists available, unskilled (basic-skilled) jobs, such as maid, shop staff, cleaning staff etc etc. Are there regional web/Facebook sites?

Is there a Thai language version of Craigslist?

Just wondering :coffee1:

Edited by simon43

once they have achieved (some may say 'bought'? ) a Degree,

the new thinking - that they are God's gift - that the jobs will come rolling in....

We are going through this at the moment too!! with the eldest...

Many shops place ads outside their business. As far as government jobs....you need a connection. But for private jobs at a hotel/hospitality she needs to get off her arse and do some legwork. Her answer was 'no' ? Was she expecting the hotels to come calling her ?

12 hours ago, lungbing said:

It's not what you know, it's who you know.

In many ways that is right ,our son has started work for a company where the MD is a neighbour :thumbsup: but after saying that ,he was offered a job with a Chinese firm when he was in UNI , and in fact they have spoken to him recently , the problem is he would have to work in Hong Kong , I think a lot of it is because of his English skills , he can read write and speak it fluently ,as can my wife and in the work that he has studied ,it is very much needed .

of course if you do not have this opportunity ,you must get off your arse and go looking

From my point of view being I work here in Thailand and talk to my staff all the time its all about friends and connections. Just like the US she needs to get out and network. Sure there are jobs in the back of some of the local papers found at places like Starbucks. If she has solid English skills she should go to a Hotel that she may want to work at and go talk to the MOD. Simple as that. Show off the skill. If she wants to get into the mfg sector there are all sorts of websites I have been told where people connect. She just needs to be hungry to want to get a job. Most young adults nowadays have parents that just keep shelling out money increasing their entitlement belief. 

**This post is a bit long but hope it helps.  (I work in an HR office at a large hotel, but I'm not HR.  My office is in their office, so it's based on what I see every day.)

Walk-in!!

Since she is so young, I am doubting she has any experience.  She would probably need to walk in and apply directly with HR to be considered, especially for large hotels.  (No need to ask for a MOD or HR Manager, the HR Coordinator should be able to help her as this is a fairly routine process.)

Hotel HRs are usually extremely busy, and they will focus their energy on filling higher level positions (not entry level) via recruiting, email, and phone calls.  For entry level, it is not uncommon for a walk-in to fill out the application, be interviewed by HR, interviewed by the hiring manager, and offered a contract in the same day. 

If the position she is interested in is not available, she should ask if she can fill out an application and leave it with the office anyways.  Due to turnover, who knows when the position would open- could be the next day, next week, next month, or next year.

She should prepare the usual application documents - CV, contact info for 2-3 references, recent photo, copies of the usual documentsfollowing: her transcripts, any evidence of previous experience (certificate from an internship or previous employer), ID card, marriage certificate (if applicable), and any sort of English test (TOEIC, TOEFL, IELTS, etc). Where i work, if the candidate doesn't have a recent English test, we have an in-house test that takes about an hour to complete.

For the interview, again, prepare answers to the the usual questions-- Why do you want to work for this specific company? (do a bit of research for the bigger hotels), Why do you want to work in hospitality? What is your passion? etc.

Also, she should be prepared to introduce herself in English and maybe have a short conversation, including role plays of common scenarios with the guest depending on the position she applies for (think recommending something off a menu, checking a guest in or out, apologizing for a mistake, asking if she can come in to clean the room, etc.).

Lastly, if you are looking for a website with service industry listings, I would recommend searching this Facebook group: "Hotel staffs & Service industry people"

Many hotels and restaurants post their openings there and it is more up-to-date than the hotel website. She might have to do a bit of sifting to find vacancies in Phuket.

Good luck!

Durr!  Thailand has a proper system just like in the west.

Tell her to go and register as available for work down at the local labor office (The same place as you get your work permit from)

Then when employers who are looking for workers need extra staff, they simply go down there and ask for a list of office workers, labourers, air con technicians, whatever - and are given several A4 pages full of names and telephone numbers to help them find somebody.

I have used the labor office myself several times before in this matter to find new staff with good results.

This labor office service to employers is free of charge.

I believe that Thai staff who were previous employed at a legitimate business with national insurance contributions who have been made redundant are entitled to 6 months unemployment benefit?  However, as a condition of receiving the monies they have to register as available for work with the labor office.

I hope this information helps. :wai2:

15 hours ago, tonray said:

Many shops place ads outside their business. As far as government jobs....you need a connection. But for private jobs at a hotel/hospitality she needs to get off her arse and do some legwork. Her answer was 'no' ? Was she expecting the hotels to come calling her ?

Yes, that is it!

My stepson cannot find work. He can't seem to grasp that he will not find many job opportunities in his bedroom or round his mates' houses. Truth is that he is lazy and useless. There's a reason that so many Cambodians and Burmese are in this country doing jobs that Thais could do - so many Thais are unreliable.

2 minutes ago, loong said:

My stepson cannot find work. He can't seem to grasp that he will not find many job opportunities in his bedroom or round his mates' houses. Truth is that he is lazy and useless. There's a reason that so many Cambodians and Burmese are in this country doing jobs that Thais could do - so many Thais are unreliable.

For many, if they know 'mum' has access to cash they will stay in bed...:whistling:

All the young and younger Thais I know – and that's quite a bit – go around and ask at places that might be of interest or fit their skills. If there is no vacant job, they will often be told of some other place in need of staff. Getting started somewhere, word-of-mouth – and network – normally moves them into better positions, or better paid jobs. Some places advertise with a sign – normally written in Thai, but can be farang-language, if they are looking for Thai-staff with language skills – and where I live, the local cable-TV in daytime runs a huge number of ads with vacant positions. My experience is, that it's difficult to find workers – so work must be easy to find, if you want a job – and many need to employ migrants, as no Thai-staff available.

I have many Thai friends, and they all quickly find jobs – even those unskilled coming straight down from an Isaan-village and begin as staff in hotels/resorts, or in stores like BigC/Makro/Tesco. Just little bit of skills or experience, and they get a quite acceptable pay, well over minimum wage.

I live at a holiday destination (Samui), which has numerous possibilities; but also up North at Isaan, they need to use migrant workers from Cambodia as farm-workers, as not enough Thai's available.

:)

Edited by khunPer
typo :(

Almost all of the young Thai I know have a friend working someplace and make the connection through them. From my village, an unusually large % will go to Korea as all the connections are in place... same with going off to work in Bangkok... not too many from my village look to work locally. 

Hi brother.....she dont go looking out for find job ???? well its maybe she have YOU the falang UNCLE....as u maybe already worked out by yourself that is YOU that have to support ALL OF THEM no matter if they live far or near..if they are smart or stupid ( most cases )....or if they activ or lazy (most cases- we good kamma uncle falang no need work sanuk mak mak )..your attempt to help her to find a job is pretty NAIV...= thai style....

As is typical with threads on this site we've got a bunch of people who just want to make jokes or bitter comments about Thais.

Although there are some good answers.

It's easy to find this info online.   Hint: use translate.google.com to translate English to Thai (job board)

Copy Thai text into Google.

Find lots of Thai language job sites she can look through.

http://www.jobtopgun.com/

http://www.thaijob.com/

https://www.jobbkk.com/

http://th.jobsdb.com/th/th

1 hour ago, seancbk said:

As is typical with threads on this site we've got a bunch of people who just want to make jokes or bitter comments about Thais.

Although there are some good answers.

It's easy to find this info online.   Hint: use translate.google.com to translate English to Thai (job board)

Copy Thai text into Google.

Find lots of Thai language job sites she can look through.

http://www.jobtopgun.com/

http://www.thaijob.com/

https://www.jobbkk.com/

http://th.jobsdb.com/th/th

Not wrong there. Not even as if the bars are closed today....

On 9/10/2016 at 5:15 PM, Doc46 said:

They don't,, they are lazy & if they have to look for a job ,they want an easy job in a aircon shop were they can sit down and play with their phone all day.

Well yeah, sure, because us admirable farang look for strenuous, back breaking work such as digging ditches in the hot sun. 

For many, if they know 'mum' has access to cash they will stay in bed...:whistling:

I had this problem.

Told the wife I had done my bit now at the age of 20 he had to go work.

No more bills paid. No more sleeping till midday. No more going out drinking with his mates.

He left to go live with his fathers family and work.

Lasted for 3 months.

New ultimatum you can't stay here doing nothing and if you do it will be with no money and not in this house.

Now after working for 7 months for 7000 - 8000 baht a month he realises how lucky he was.

I occasionally help him out if his cash runs out.

Put your foot down or he will be a liability for ever!!!