U.s. Federal Benefits

cm-happy

I've just celebrated my 62th birthday (Ugh) and have now reached the magic age when I can begin collecting SS benefits, although reduced. I'm dealing with the SS office in Manila, which the Chiang Mai consulate says will handle SS & veterans programs for all of Thailand. I have also e-mailed them (Manila) and faxed a preliminary questionair, regarding their determination of my elegibility.

Does anyone have any experience with dealing with the Manila office vis-a-vis Federal benefits. If so would appreciate comments regarding responsivness or any general comments.

I turned 62 in July. I got the SS forms from the US consulate here in Bangkok and sent my claim directly to Baltimore in March and received the first check in September. They recommend that you file 6 months before you turn 62 (if that's when you decide to collect). I did contact the SS office in Manila in June by e-mail concerning the status of my claim and they promptly replied. Also, do you know that if you have children under 18 you can apply for benefits for them too.

I applied through the Chiang Mai consulate (sending my application in the diplomatic pouch) in 2004, and it took several months. But the lady in Manila was efficient; I think she forwarded the package to Baltimore. She even called me from Manila once (during a PTA meeting) to verify some service data.

An important point about receiving SSA checks at age 62, in a foreign country: you cannot admit to working for than 45 hours per month, regardless of how much you earn that month, overseas. If you admit you worked 46 hours, they cancel your ENTIRE social security check for that month. That explains why I switched to part time work.