Up country kid wows the Thais with her English ability

rooster59

Up country kid wows the Thais with her English ability

559000009381601.JPEG

Image: Manager

A five year old girl from the North East of the country is wowing the online community with her English ability.

Videos posted of little "Nong Bai Plu" have caused many likes and shares.

Despite only having Thai parents and going to the local kindergarten she has an uncanny ability in English.

She loves to be inquisitive about her world like all five year olds but mum Chaiyaphat Kethorm says that this is invariably done using English.

And it is not just isolated vocabulary or stuttering sentences - Nong Bai Plu comes out with well formed, complete sentences with good pronunciation. In fact her parents even think that she is better in English rather than Thai!

Mum said that her daughter likes to listen to songs and stories in English and always watches cartoons in English.

Reporters spent some time with the Kindergarten 3 child and were similarly impressed seeing her put the adults around her to shame with her abilities to communicate.

Mum said that her daughter - full name Achitsatha Yotphon - has never had any special lessons or tutoring.

Source: Manager

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2016-09-10

Forget about spending money to teach English to Thai teachers.  Spend the money on music, stories, movies, and apps for kindergarten students.

It's too late for the older kids that don't have the motivation to learn a second language.  Unless the government is willing to enforce English-only for Facebook, Line, TV series, games, etc.!

I am a teacher ( over  12 years experience in Thai schools ) teaching Prathom students in a large private school in Issan. Over half ( approx 500 ) can speak English, usually better than the Thai English teachers.

At weekends I teach English to a  three years old boy,  He can speak and understand English very well, and never speaks in Thai to me, even though both his parents are Thai.

His parents requested that I always explain words to him in English never in Thai ( not easy for me ) 

The problem is when children get into the Thai education system they are just trained to speak like parrots and have no understanding of what they are saying. 

Anfield 1.jpg

I hope there is a school she can go to that has Advanced Classes, she appears to be a gifted young girl !!

Most Thai Children have little interest in English, but it helps prepare for a better job as well as opening a whole new World by being able to read and speak English !!

43 minutes ago, gchurch259 said:

I guess at age five you were an English Major, NN !!

Did it say somewhere that the kid is a major in English?

Every one who has been here more than a week knows that Thais like to exaggerate things, but my Thai son was indeed fluent in English at the age of 5. Keep in mind that he only came to stay with me when he was 3 years old, and my native language isn't English

48 minutes ago, gchurch259 said:

I hope there is a school she can go to that has Advanced Classes, she appears to be a gifted young girl !!

Most Thai Children have little interest in English, but it helps prepare for a better job as well as opening a whole new World by being able to read and speak English !!

Last month I was talking to a Thai English matayom teacher, speaking good English.

He told me more than half of his students were not interested in learning English, and quite a lot of them refused to learn English.

Must be said most of them boys.

Their motivation was Thai was enough, this is Thailand, etc.

2 hours ago, oldgent said:

can someone tell her that English is no good, its Chinese she needs to learn

they will be taking over soon.

2 hours ago, oldgent said:

How soon is that?

5 hours ago, gchurch259 said:

You can say the same for most Expats in Thailand..555

15 hours ago, hansnl said:

Last month I was talking to a Thai English matayom teacher, speaking good English.

He told me more than half of his students were not interested in learning English, and quite a lot of them refused to learn English.

Must be said most of them boys.

Their motivation was Thai was enough, this is Thailand, etc.

With Thailand the centre of the universe why would they need English?

20 hours ago, oldgent said:

Rubbish. One of the fastest growing industries in teaching right now is teaching English to Chinese students online.

I have classes of adult Chinese students and they all tell me that it is now time for them to learn English if they are to get ahead in their careers.

31 minutes ago, puchooay said:

Rubbish. One of the fastest growing industries in teaching right now is teaching English to Chinese students online.

I have classes of adult Chinese students and they all tell me that it is now time for them to learn English if they are to get ahead in their careers.

not for a long long long while. as matters stand mastery of english is still a definite advantage. chinese may be useful for those planning to trade with the chinese.

On 10/9/2559 at 0:11 PM, Anthony5 said:

WOW, we have a Thai that can speak English. Stop the presses.

Call the Guinness world record book.

Could YOU speak 2 languages at 5 years old? In fact can you speak 2 languages fluently now?

I know that I can't.

Sure, we don't all need to stand up and cheer like emotional pushovers, but it's also sad that several would try as hard as they have to minimize her or grass her up.  <deleted>, she's just a kid, seems to be interested in learning.  The amount of folks on TVF that slag off Thais as stupid brown monkeys, you'd think this would be a bright spot in their day.  Nope.

Children have an incredible ability to learn languages uo until about the age of 12 years old. After that it becomes more difficult to pick up languages.

If the Government here is serious about their citizens learning English (and I doubt they are serious)or any other languages then they MUST start teaching them with quality teachers as early as possible.

4 hours ago, puchooay said:

hope you have a work permit. it says somewhere in the Bible the Yellow man will rule the world

I don't know about this kid's English skills, but how about this Google translation of a picture caption from the Thai language story in Manager. . . 

blank.gif

University - saw his breathtaking "betel" girl aged just five years old, speak English fluently and also the adult eye.Both parents were Thailand. The mother had never said a special school where language. Lived and taught only to watch cartoons.

Must try harder is probably what a teacher would write in red ink at the bottom of this lamentable effort.  

Kids are like sponges, they absorb everything so easily before the age of 7.

Our daughter moved here with us in late November last year, she was just finishing her 2nd year at school we moved from Australia.

She didn't start school here till March, its now September, she didn't speak or learn Thai in Australia, or prior to going to school here, in 6 months she speaks very good Thai, writes, spells and understands Thai as good as any Thai kids in her class, she is number 10 out of 30 kids in her class.

I had my concerns in the beginning, but all the teachers kept saying; she will pick things up by the 2nd or 3rd month, they were on the money, she just excelled from there.

So proud of the little shit, now her English is starting to fail, e.g. she is starting to speak like the Thai kids speak English, broken ...lol

Great work from her teachers.