World's highest bridge nears completion

rooster59

World's highest bridge nears completion

Catherine Hardy

606x341_343608.jpg

Engineers in China have connected the two sides of the world’s highest cable-bridge.

The Beipanjiang Bridge joins southwest China’s Yunnan and Guizhou provinces.

The last-but-one bridge deck was put in place on Saturday morning.

The final piece is being put in place on Saturday afternoon.

The bridge stretches across the Nizhu river Gorge and is 565 metres above the river bed.

Engineers only have an allowance of five millimetres to play with during the construction.

The bridge will be operational by the end of this year.

euronews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Euronews 2016-09-11

Almost in any bridge's final construction phase...like fitting the final section....they always make a big deal about the close tolerance.  But hey, in today's world with very accurate measuring instruments and construction techniques it's really more media hype than a super achievement.   Now the height of the bridge is definitely an attention getter, but I expect building the bridge would have been just as hard even at half the height above the river. 

8 hours ago, Pimay1 said:

With only five millimeters to play with, this is an amazing accomplishment.

Actually 5mm is about the standard amount of tolerance in most civil engineering works, easily obtained with today,s instrumentation, and I am sure there are many contracts that would call for significantly less :)

3 hours ago, DrTuner said:

Got to give it to the Chinese, they seem to be able to build these megathings. In Thailand it would take a millennia or two.

But the Chinese always have so many jobsite fatalities. 

I wonder what the count was on this project?

They care so little about workers that they probably don't even keep statistics on such things.

3 hours ago, ClutchClark said:

Have you ever worked on large scale projects?

Have you ever been on the tools?

5-mm is not "easy". Its a real engineering feat !

It's not an "engineering feat". Engineers put what they want on a paper. Construction workers build it. 

These days of lasers and prefabrication, hitting 5mm just means they had good  survey and QC. Which actually is saying how far the Chinese have come in past 15 years or so.

TH 

On September 11, 2016 at 9:22 AM, thaihome said:

It's not an "engineering feat". Engineers put what they want on a paper. Construction workers build it. 

These days of lasers and prefabrication, hitting 5mm just means they had good  survey and QC. Which actually is saying how far the Chinese have come in past 15 years or so.

TH 

The expression "engineering feat" is just an expression. 

Lighten up, Dude, and quit trying to find argument with everybody.

On September 11, 2016 at 9:22 AM, thaihome said:

TH 

And what is this about "lasers"? 

Lasers provide a distance measurement. 

They do not determine angles. The quality of the instruments used by Surveyors today is not superior to what were in use prior to "lasers" (EDM). The optics are not better. The precision is not better. Its just that Total Stations today perform all the calcs and record all the shots for easy download. Ofcourse, they now also have on-board GPS but your referencing "lasers" as being the reason this is no big deal is hogwash.

7 hours ago, ClutchClark said:

And what is this about "lasers"? 

Lasers provide a distance measurement. 

They do not determine angles. The quality of the instruments used by Surveyors today is not superior to what were in use prior to "lasers" (EDM). The optics are not better. The precision is not better. Its just that Total Stations today perform all the calcs and record all the shots for easy download. Ofcourse, they now also have on-board GPS but your referencing "lasers" as being the reason this is no big deal is hogwash.

http://www.amerisurv.com/content/view/6213/2/

After 40 years in the surveying/mapping business, I am amazed at how digital technology has changed our profession and how the pace of change continues to accelerate, particularly in the area of 3D imaging and measurement. 

Pretty much agrees what surveyors have been telling me for several years now.

TH 

Well, it certainly is going to be better than that an old rope bridge with a lot of the wooden steps missing or rotten through. But I think I would see like to see and Elephant cross it first, and like Carnegie did to prove his steel bridge, before I would cross it in a wind storm. 

5 minutes ago, ClutchClark said:

Yeah...exactly...your link mentions nothing of lasers. 

Thanks for making my point.

From the link:

Taking this into account, perhaps a more qualified position would be that the laser scanner is the first optical, digital instrument that can be used to directly measure in 3D. That is why I think it is fair to say that the laser scanner is certainly a disruptive technology (see American Surveyor, April 2007) with the potential to create revolutionary change in not only the surveying and mapping industry, but many others that are directly and indirectly related.

TH

8 minutes ago, thaihome said:

From the link:

TH

Do you understand what a laser scanner is? Do you understand the type of application it is used for? It is an excellent tool for collecting a very large mass of data for 3D drawings. It would not be a useful tool in the construction phase and especially not at the distances found in this bridge construction. 

Please contact your surveyor friends and they will explain to you that it would not be used in this type of construction except for the initial design topo. After that, almost all Survey related work would require the use of a Total Station. 

It amazes me how some guys on TVF will attempt to argue something they know nothing about simply because they googled an article in a trade publication. Learn when to listen TH.

4 minutes ago, ClutchClark said:

Do you understand what a laser scanner is? Do you understand the type of application it is used for? It is an excellent tool for collecting a very large mass of data for 3D drawings. It would not be a useful tool in the construction phase and especially not at the distances found in this bridge construction. 

Please contact your surveyor friends and they will explain to you that it would not be used in this type of construction except for the initial design topo. After that, almost all Survey related work would require the use of a Total Station. 

It amazes me how some guys on TVF will attempt to argue something they know nothing about simply because they googled an article in a trade publication. Learn when to listen TH.

At the mod yard I was at 3 years ago, after using Total Stations to set up the foundations, the lead surveyor convinced management to use laser scanner to check all the modules as they were being built.  

If you go back to my post I was speaking of prefabrication and lasers that allow pinpoint accuracy in construction today. I assume the bridge was done in prefabricated sections. I have no knowledge if they used laser scanners when building them, but it does allow a 3 dimension accuracy that Total Stations does not do as easily .

You are not the only person here with extensive construction experience. ..

TH