Motorcycle taxi riders attack man for telling them to get out of the bicycle lane

rooster59

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 minute ago, sahibji said:

can this kind of lawlessness  be allowed even if no report is filed by a complainant. non -action by the police will send wrong signals to others to take the same road. 

Yes, exactly. The video I posted earlier received over 79,000 'Likes', was shared over 145,000 times, and received over 3000 overwhelmingly supportive comments.

Actions such as these may be common, but they are far from common sense.

The very page the made it and originally posted it was created (by Thais) with the aim of addressing the toxic societal problems that many posters here claim are acceptable. There are many other pages springing up decrying this selfish and dangerous behaviour, quite rightly, claiming that Thailand will never be a developed country while this kind of selfish free-for-all continues unabated.

Edited by jamesbrock
Include quote

11 minutes ago, SOTIRIOS said:

...no good deed goes unpunished....

...keep this in mind...especially foreign Good Samaritans ...

...two on one...he was still standing...so one of them grabbed a chair.....

2 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

[very little road rage here] 

It's not because Thai's consider it acceptable to punch in a dispute, its because in general many are ill equipped to handle criticism of any kind and when doing so an uncontrollable emotional response surfaces.

It is this uncontrollable emotional response which many are well aware of and fear. Hence, the while I'm sure experiencing frustration on the road is very common as with the rest of life in general here, the feelings and frustrations of many are repressed and controlled...  until we see 'snapping point' events such as this. 

can this kind of lawlessness  be allowed even if no report is filed by a complainant. non -action by the police will send wrong signals to others to take the same road. 

4 minutes ago, sahibji said:

sure. guns often come out in the case of some road cases in the US but much more rarely in the asian countries.

The poster I quoted seems to believe it doesn't happen here.

There are regular stories of road rage here, maybe once she/he's stopped telling us all how we should behave in Thailand [including the leave if you don't like it line of non thinking BS] and starts reading up a bit, she/he'll realise the realities of driving here.

Edited by Bluespunk

8 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

No, not just in my eyes.

As proved by video.

It's unacceptable.

Only an idiot would not understand why it is not acceptable.

Roads for vehicles, bicycle lanes for bicycles, pavements for people.

It's not rocket science.

But as Jackpat pointed out why be stuck in a traffic jam ?   :rolleyes:

So if everybody follows that dictum ... !

4 hours ago, ezzra said:

Motorcycle taxi, thugs for hire in orange vests, your local mafia branch on every

'corner approved and protected by big wigs and shiny brass in high places.... 

Motorbike drivers

These lazy bone idle Bastards know nothing else other than to defend whatever they've commonly  determined as their pitch. Especially, if it's seen to effect their income.

This layer of foul-mouthed extraneous matter that forms on any Soi or moneymaking areas are easily riled and only attack in packs as is Thai custom. Can start with two numptys but soon these hyenas increase rapidly if a single victim is seen to retaliate or a much stronger foreigner is involved then weapons can be introduced to finish off the job.

Better leave these sleeping dogs at rest otherwise can easily result in death. 

Just saying ..... 

Edited by ScotBkk

29 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

It would seem common sense to me that I am able to walk down a pavement with my Child, either holding hands or in a push chair... But I can't...  I can't because as a parent I have to make the choice that it is unsafe to do so. 

I agree, Laws are meant to be for the good of the people...   I disagree with your comments however,... 

[Only and Idiot would (follow the law and not ride on the pavement)] - Law abiding and those considerate of others don't.... Only self centred and selfish people do, there are so many of those that riding on the pavement has become the norm because laws have not been enforced. 

[Impractical and stupid (to follow the law and not ride on the pavement)] - This is a highly self centred response, your comments imply that you would be stupid if you didn't put others at risk by riding on the pavement just to save some time. 

Yes, I know Thai's do it, I know riding on the pavement has become the norm because of its lack of enforcement, but so has speeding, so has riding motorcycles without a helmet (slowly changing), so has uncovered pickups on the express way, so has dangerous busses and lorries with worn tyres and brakes, so has running red lights...  

Scores of traffic laws are flouted daily purely because someone believes that being Law Abiding would be Impractical and Stupid but flouting those laws has a cost, in many cases unmeasurable... 

In my case the cost is an additional car on the road, because I consider the 500m walk to the BTS with my Son too risky when motorbikes are whizzing past my son on the pavement and I have to pick him up passing Soi dogs and vats of boiling oil....

I love it in Thailand - but I find there are many improvements that both I and my close Thai friends agree on...  I also find that 'always been done' is a highly unimaginative argument and only serves the self-centred when they are unable to present a more compelling and intelligent argument.

Oh to be "only new here" again, where the roads are safe, the society is peaceful and benevolent, 'tea money' is some quaint convenience, and 112 other myths that become glaringly obvious the longer one stays here...

As some Scottish journalist once wrote, like most visitors before me over the centuries, I was beguiled by the luminous beauty and vibrancy of Thai culture, and moved and inspired by the graciousness, charm and warmth of most Thai people I met - but it's become impossible to ignore all the everyday horror and human misery that is allowed to flourish here alongside so much to cherish and admire, especially when these horrors affect our families and people we love.

No other place in the world means more to me, and nowhere else breaks my heart so often, than Thailand, and it troubles me that so many Thais seem to have lost faith in their ability to solve the problems their country faces, and have decided to just pretend the problems don’t exist at all. That is why seeing acts such as this, and the overwhelmingly positive response to the video I posted earlier, instills some hope.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Is-Nam-Jai-more-than-just-a-word-in-Thailand-30294389.html

3 hours ago, craigt3365 said:

Not acceptable to pedestrians.  And it's against the law...which is rarely enforced.

only against the law if there is somebody would do something about it. Maybe they chould have bylaw enforcers so real police not so busy all the time

I've used these motorbike taxis a few times. If I ask how much when they are in a group they always talk to each other and then I find the price is double what Thai's pay. I've changed my tactics to asking lone riders for a ride and how much. I end up paying the Thai price when I do this.  They love to stay in groups and are not very nice when in a group.  Group of motorbike taxi ask then if I grabbed a car taxi. In Phuket its worse. I want to give them the finger but I'm in their country and I don't need the trouble, but it doesn't change the way I feel about them.

They will do what they want as they know the police are not going to do a damn thing about it.

I am  surprised only 2 attacked the guy. Usually these 'hard men' need at least 5 others.

You have things like this happening and people wonder why Thailand gets a bad rap?

Edited by gandalf12

6 hours ago, jamesbrock said:

This clip, and the mere existence of the Facebook page it was originally posted on, shows that a lot of Thais are sick of this—and other—overtly selfish behaviour.

As posted in The Nation the other day,

Jeeeez! You see that crazy truck driver at 1:52? How do these people get a driving licence?

Just now, Xircal said:

Jeeeez! You see that crazy truck driver at 1:52? How do these people get a driving licence?

A lot of them don't, but I went for my licence from scratch several years ago: three hours of listening to a cop who thought he was too funny babble (in Thai), a multi-question test, and a three minute drive around a course (in the cars that I, and everyone else, had to drive there, unlicensed).

That's it. Licensed to kill.

Combine that with a culture that, for generations, have been able to do literally anything with relative impunity, and one can see why Thailand is the most deadly country in the world to drive (that isn't a war zone).

8 hours ago, ezzra said:

Motorcycle taxi, thugs for hire in orange vests, your local mafia branch on every

'corner approved and protected by big wigs and shiny brass in high places.... 

Some of them are nice guys, one shouldn't generalise.

8 hours ago, NongKhaiKid said:

And often the worst offenders are ... wait for it, the BIB.

You don't mean this?

CpJwHIFVMAE6YCY.jpg

7 hours ago, ChrisY1 said:

I may be wrong....but as far as I know, and unless there has been a change of law, it's legal to ride on the footpaths....

This is subject that has had frequent visits....

According to the story published in The Nation (http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Motorcycle-taxi-drivers-meet-police-over-assault-v-30295038.html), "The 1992 Act on Maintaining the Country's Cleanliness And Tidiness states motorists are prohibited from parking or driving on footpaths unless at the entrance of a building. Offenders can be hit with a fine of up to Bt5,000."

It (hilariously) continues, "The same law states that people who witness such an offence should report it to police and split the fine with the officer who issues the fine.:clap2:

Just now, Billy Bloggs said:

Sorry but its not just Thais who ride on the footpaths, its non Thais as well, who should know better, but give you the death stare when you stand your ground.

I have said this before and I will say it again, if ever a Farang rides a motorbike on the pavement near me, he will get a very sore face. Guaranteed.