British expat killed in crash

webfact

Gloucester man killed in crash

Phuket Gazette

pkt22.jpg          

Mr Nipan allegedly cut off the Englishman while turning into an apartment complex. Photo: Wichit Police

PHUKET: -- A British expatriate died after reportedly being cut off by a pickup truck on Saturday night.

Michael Fraser Macpherson, 44, was killed on Kwang Road, in front of the Baan Manee Kram Jomthong Tanee housing complex, when his motorcycle slammed into the side of a pickup truck at about 8:40pm. 

Police reported that Mr Macpherson was not wearing a helmet at the time of the accident.

The driver of the pickup, Nipan Karnprakorb, 39, was turning into the housing complex when he allegedly cut off Mr Macpherson. 

Full story: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/Gloucester-man-killed-crash/65550?desktopversion

pgazette_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket Gazette 2016-09-12

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, worgeordie said:

Police reported that Mr Macpherson was not wearing a helmet at the time of the accident.

so are they saying it's his fault then ?,RIP another victim of the Thai roads. 

regards Worgeordie

Read the full report - pick-up driver charged with reckless driving.  Perhaps not wearing a helmet contributed to the death .... RIP

British man killed in Phuket as motorbike collides with pickup truck

Eakkapop Thongtub

1473652760_4287-org.jpg

The fatal collision occurred while Mr Niphon was turning right into the Baan Maneekram housing estate on Kwang Rd, Wichit. Photo: Eakkapop Thongtub

PHUKET: -- A British man was killed in Phuket on Saturday night (Sept 10) after the motorbike he was riding collided with a pickup truck on Kwang Rd in Wichit.

Capt Patcharee Wongboon of the Wichit Police was notified of the accident, at the intersection in front of the entrance to the Baan Maneekram housing estate, at 8:30pm.

Police arrived with rescue workers from Wichit Municipality and Ruamjai Kupai rescue foundation to find an Isuzu pickup stopped askew in the middle of the entrance road to Baan Maneekram.

The driver, Niphon Kanprakob, 39, was standing by with his wife and daughter.

Full story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/british-man-killed-in-phuket-as-motorbike-collides-with-pickup-truck-59063.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2016-09-12

5 hours ago, worgeordie said:

regards Worgeordie

no the chance of survival is better with a crash helmet on unless of course the impact is that great that other body parts like spine get impacted.

11 minutes ago, nakhonandy said:

Amazes me how many expats/tourists think it's cool not to wear a helmet. 

Most have never ridden a bike back home either. 

Sad story but the helmet may have saved him. 

Possibly.  Helmets are a good idea.

But the safety Rubicon is crossed when you strap yourself on a 2 wheeler.  With or without a helmet.  Experienced rider or tourist on a lark.

He'd have easily survived if he had been in a 4 wheel vehicle with doors, seatbelts and a roof.

I take scooter taxis all the time.  But I don't delude myself to think that wearing my helmet makes it a safe mode of transport.

57 minutes ago, nakhonandy said:

Amazes me how many expats/tourists think it's cool not to wear a helmet. 

Just do as the locals , they don't care about safety.

I wouldn't even ride a bike here , I feel much safer driving a car, at least I have some control if something happens. 

Edited by balo

4 minutes ago, steelepulse said:

I wonder if it was a case of flashing the headlights, then proceeding to turn in front of oncoming traffic as is commonly practiced? I can't even recall the number of times I've seen this, a flash of the lights and to hell with anyone coming.

I agree with you on the 'to hell with everyone  else'

I would add though that the flashing headlights can cause a problem - at least for Brits. As I'm sure you know, in the UK if a car on the opposite side of the road flashes headlights, it's usually out of courtesy and invitng you to cross in front of it -we've all done it.!

So, when a farng from the UK first drives here he/she has tobe extremely careful in mis-interpreting the flashing light sign. I know, when I first started driving here some 10 years ago, it took me some time to adjust -particularly as you usually cannot see the body language of the other driver due to these ridiculous dark windows.

The irony (and I stand to be corrected) is that the Thai's have it right in terms of the UK highway code, which states flashing headlights simply means 'I am here'. This is working from memory. The UK system is 'custom and practise".

I feel very sorry for this guy, as it appears he was simply cut-up by a pick-up turning in front of him.

Anyone that rides a motorcycle with or without a helmet is plain stupid and has a death  or paraplegic wish. I rode a motorbike at the age of 15yrs for 18months and gave it up as I soon realised it was too freaking dangerous even in New Zealand with little or no traffic at all in the early 60's. These days it has to be 1000 times more dangerous especially in Thailand. I once attended a lecture at uni on intelligence and the instructor introduced himself and stated that his hobbies were rock climbing and racing motorbikes. I could not stop laughing and he bailed me up and asked what was so funny, I just said I thought I was in the wrong class as I was studying Intelligence lol.

1 hour ago, toofarnorth said:

Sorry but no hat no sympathy , I don't care who is responsible for the RTA.

Here’s a sobering thought (for me, anyway).  If that was me, right now my sister would be making arrangements to fly to Thailand to bring home my remains.  Probably, a couple of my brothers would want to accompany her.  They’d be making the calls to my friends -those they have contact information for- to tell them the news and what the arrangements are for planting me.  And then there's the arrangements for the ceremony that goes with death.

Fortunately, they have POA to access to an inheritance account I've never touched that’s got more than enough to pay for it all.  We’re lucky that way.  Other families may be going to the bank to take out a second on their homes to take care of everything.  Complicated thing, bringing home mortal remains.  And expensive.  And devastating to so many loved ones.

So I have sympathy for any human being, even if they did make a decision that took their life and tore them away from their loved ones.  

42 minutes ago, lungnorm said:

Anyone that rides a motorcycle with or without a helmet is plain stupid and has a death  or paraplegic wish. I rode a motorbike at the age of 15yrs for 18months and gave it up as I soon realised it was too freaking dangerous even in New Zealand with little or no traffic at all in the early 60's. These days it has to be 1000 times more dangerous especially in Thailand. I once attended a lecture at uni on intelligence and the instructor introduced himself and stated that his hobbies were rock climbing and racing motorbikes. I could not stop laughing and he bailed me up and asked what was so funny, I just said I thought I was in the wrong class as I was studying Intelligence lol.

Well you may have just identified the problem.

The one thing all old riders who have not laid it down have in common is they use intelligence when they ride.

For that reason, I don't recommend riding is for everyone.

7 hours ago, LivinginKata said:

2 different news reports ... PG says he ws charged with reckless driving. PN says  "Police have yet to confirm whether Mr Niphon was subjected to any alcohol test, and have also yet to reveal whether or not Mr Niphon will face any charges for the accident."

The driver remained on scene. Seems if he had been drinking he would have made a runner.

now at that time of evening it might be interesting to see toxicology report on the deceased.

the vast majority of moto wrecks I have seen are the result of the rider having consumed alcohol.

Edited by ClutchClark

1 hour ago, steelepulse said:

I wonder if it was a case of flashing the headlights, then proceeding to turn in front of oncoming traffic as is commonly practiced? I can't even recall the number of times I've seen this, a flash of the lights and to hell with anyone coming.

In some countries, flashing headlights means: Go ahead.

Here it means: I've got no brakes.

I'm amazed at the amount of comments saying how the rider might have survived if he'd been wearing a lid. One loving person even said something like "no hat no sympathy".. nice.. You would have more chance of surviving an accident in Thailand if you were wearing a bobble hat. The crash helmets have no standards, they are made of cheap plastic and most have a peak, which is great of you prefer a broken neck.. Most crash hats, not only are they cheap rubbish but they are generally ill fitting. Next to useless. The only way a helmet would make a difference is if you brought one with you from your home country - assuming like the UK, they have safety standards to adhere to. My crash helmet costs in excess of £300 and would give my head some protection. It would not however, stop leg from getting ripped off by a central reservation or in any way afford me the same protection as I get when sitting with a metal box around me!

8 hours ago, worgeordie said:

regards Worgeordie

what a bizarre analysis !!

38 minutes ago, Alwyn said:

What a fine person you are.

People who don't wear helmet are selfish and do not care about the impact of their brains splatering everywhere.

People who only care about themselves deserve no sympathy.  With a helmet, the driver would be in trouble but not for manslaughter and nobody would of had to pickup his brains everywhere and pay for his cremation.

If you want people to respect you and have sympathy for your misfortune, participate in society by following it's rules otherwise you arent entitled to the privileges of society.

12 minutes ago, bearpolar said:

People who don't wear helmet are selfish and do not care about the impact of their brains splatering everywhere.

People who only care about themselves deserve no sympathy.  With a helmet, the driver would be in trouble but not for manslaughter and nobody would of had to pickup his brains everywhere and pay for his cremation.

If you want people to respect you and have sympathy for your misfortune, participate in society by following it's rules otherwise you arent entitled to the privileges of society.

As a rider who spent many decades both with & without a helmet (depending on circumstances) I must say I am constantly amazed at how many selfish people there are who try to impose their own will on my freedom.