Windows 10 annoyance: transparent window edges

manarak

I have already searched the internet several times about this but I couldn't even find a post sharing the same problem:

On windows 10, windows do not reach the end of the screen on the sides and at the bottom near the taskbar. It looks like there are always 12 or 15 transparent pixels at the edge of the windows, which I think is annoying because there litterally are a waste of space.

Does anyone know how to change this behavior or how to get rid of these transparent edges?

The solution may be outside of Windows, like in the utility for configuring your graphics card.  If you don't have such a utility figure out what graphics card you have and do a search on it, usually the card maker will have a config program you can download.

You may want to do a backup before you start monkeying around with settings; if you end up making things worse you can go back and restore.

My advice at this particular moment in time is first to make a full backup, do a clean install, and, this is very important, make sure you only install and use the latest Windows 10 compatible drivers AND latest Windows 10 compatible applications for only checking out whether or not that transparency problem still exists ( it should not ), and then, after having done this experiment, you can always return to the old situation by simply recovering the backup. In case the problem still existed immediately after the clean install, then start thinking about incompatibilities at hardware level, thuis start systematically exchanging pieces of hardware ( graphics card, monitor, etc. ).

This is a problem I have on all computers running win 10, and I got 7.

Since they run different hardware in general and also different graphic cards, the problem is not driver or hardware related.

I also guess that this is not a malfunction, but intended to be a win 10 feature.

When I maximize a window, the window properly reaches the edge of the screen.

But when I enlarge its size until the end of the screen and then close it, it will not reach the edge of the screen when I re-open it.

Here are two cropped screen shots.

One, with the edge of the window reaching the edge of the screen shows the state after I manually resized the window.

If I then close that window and re-open it, the window will not reach the edge, as shown in the second screenshot.

I think these are transparent edges because when I move the mouse cursor over them, it transforms into the resize symbol, and keeps that shape when hovering above that transparent margin or padding if I may borrow these terms from HTML, well outside of the active window.

edges_1.png

edges_2.png

Edited by manarak

there is a registry setting for this:

http://tweaks.com/windows/62971/adjust-window-border-padding/

my guess is that Microsoft has cut back on the development of 2 separate display mode for Aero for desktop and tablet, and instead they disabled themes alltogether. Thick window edges are required for operating tablets with touchscreens, so MS introduced window padding on desktop so that tablets would still be usable even in desktop mode...

:-(

After reading #7.

I can reproduce this behavior.

Take an application window and resize it to the right lower corner.

The window than stays at this position like in first picture.

Then I close the application and reopen it.

Result second picture.

The orange color is my monochrome desktop background.

Is this what you mean?

I must admit I never noticed such behavior before.

manual_resize.jpg

reopen.jpg

manual_resize.jpg

reopen.jpg

Edited by KhunBENQ

Now things get interesting.

The above described effect is reproducible with Firefox and PaintNET (two apps that I often use).

It does NOT happen with the Windows own notepad (simple text editor).

It happens with Acrobat Reader DC.

It does NOT happen with VLC player.

??

Edited by KhunBENQ

1 hour ago, manarak said:

yes, I'm surprised there aren't more people complaining about this.

it must be some issue with the aero theme and applications' aero compatibility

I did some google and found similar hints.

But honestly I didn't try to dig deeper.

After having seen the actual screenshots here  ( thank you for that ) I'm not at all happy anymore with my previous response, which seemed to me, at that time, a most proper response. Here's a link related to Windows positioning on  Windows 10. It may or may not have something to do with the problem. Don't think it is a transparency problem. To be sure, I would have to do some additional API related WDM Window positioning and resizing tests on different Windows operating systems and look at the results found:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/32752728/window-positioning-results-in-space-around-windows-on-windows-10

Again, the link above has not been included for offering a solution ( btw. the solution offered does not work ), but for only showing that Microsoft has broken existing ( expected ) functionalities in existing API functions. So in this case IMO the old saying "it is not a bug, but an additional new feature or opportunity" does not apply here. From a viewpoint of a software developer breaking existing functionalities is simply not done, thus bad practice which possibly leads to additional programming work nobody is willing to pay for.

I have an Asus laptop running pre-installed Win 10 and a 1080 monitor (connected via HD port).  I tried to duplicate post #10 and it didn't happen using Firefox.

I think people running the (previously free) upgrade to Win 10 are getting a lot more problems than those running from cold Win 10 installs.  Maybe the way to go is to build the Win 10 installation USB stick from the upgrade version and then do a complete Win 10 install.  Emphasis on maybe.

23 minutes ago, Xircal said:

Padding? I thought you were complaining about transparent edges?

it's the same problem. the padding is transparent. if the padding wasn't transparent, I would want to get rid of the padding.

I had the same thing happen and I had to adjust the settings on my monitors to fix it.  It wasn't a Windows problem.  

TCL monitors BTW.  They work like a champ when set correctly.  But it took some searching to find the setting that fixed it.

Just now, manarak said:

it's the same problem. the padding is transparent. if the padding wasn't transparent, I would want to get rid of the padding.

Padding adds an element inside a box to move anything such as text away from the edges. That's not the same thing as making the edges transparent.

5 hours ago, Xircal said:

Padding adds an element inside a box to move anything such as text away from the edges. That's not the same thing as making the edges transparent.

True.  In HTML/CSS parlance, padding is within the object, whereas margin is outside the object.  There might be some sort of margin involved? 

On Wednesday, September 14, 2016 at 6:38 PM, manarak said:

yes, I'm surprised there aren't more people complaining about this.

it must be some issue with the aero theme and applications' aero compatibility

I noticed it. It's one of the many things I hate about Windows 10. It's as if a group of wet-behind-the-ears, snotty-nosed little school kids were hired by Microsoft to produce Windows 10.

I don't use it.

On 20.9.2016 at 11:34 PM, wpcoe said:

True.  In HTML/CSS parlance, padding is within the object, whereas margin is outside the object.  There might be some sort of margin involved? 

technically, this can only be inside the window, so it's padding.

14 hours ago, JetsetBkk said:

I noticed it. It's one of the many things I hate about Windows 10. It's as if a group of wet-behind-the-ears, snotty-nosed little school kids were hired by Microsoft to produce Windows 10.

I don't use it.

I wouldn't say that....

it is much better than win 8, and any windows user would have had to upgrade at some point sooner or later anyway.