Strange

• Replies 429
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

11 hours ago, Strange said:

And the oil patch will pick back up its just a stop gap. Sitting around not doing anything productive (Making Money/Working) bother the SH$T out of me. 

^ So then why didn't you just say this from the outset. why all the other crap? Just saying.

3 minutes ago, Jeffkp said:

Yes, but you still need to file. I sure hope he has. There is an US citizen who lives in my building. He hasn't filed a tax return in 26 years. He can't move back and, of course, he can draw Social Security. He screwed himself.

Actually expats can become current by only filing the past 3 years

Get a CPA and it can be sorted out easy

2 minutes ago, amykat said:

I have been a member of an multi-racial family all of my life ...as a child, as a parent ..etc.  I believe that was the subject.

You didn't answer the question.  If you are white, then yes, chances are you may not have experienced racism in America.  What's wrong with you people?  America is still incredibly racist.  Do you know about the Black Lives Matter movement in America?  Do you know how Muslims are viewed in America?  Mexicans?  You are being extremely disingenuous. 

Yes, I am white ...okay, I admit it!  However, I don't think it will affect most people in large cities, esp like Florida.  How would this affect a white man with an Asian woman? That is hardly a taboo area is it?  Are you going to cry because people look at you?  After living in Thailand and being stared at like a freak for over a decade (well for me.)  No.  I am very white and blonde.  My daughter is half Thai and the other day while getting a coffee, we had people talking photos of us like we were movie stars for 10 solid minutes. Do you think walking around in Tampa would be worse than that?? 

Just now, amykat said:

Yes, I am white ...okay, I admit it!  However, I don't think it will affect most people in large cities, esp like Florida.  How would this affect a white man with an Asian woman? That is hardly a taboo area is it?  Are you going to cry because people look at you?  After living in Thailand and being stared at like a freak for over a decade (well for me.)  No.  I am very white and blonde.  My daughter is half Thai and the other day while getting a coffee, we had people talking photos of us like we were movie stars for 10 solid minutes. Do you think walking around in Tampa would be worse than that?? 

It's clear that you're not a racist.  I get that.  I wish there were more people like you.  But unfortunately, racism is still alive and well in America.  Look, this whole racial stuff is not the reason I left America.  But when people compare the USA to Thailand...man, it's not even close.  To put it simply, Thais don't even know what racism means because they don't practice it....not the way we do.  But Americans, we're experts. 

1 hour ago, Johnniey said:

You have a good job in the oil industry and you're complaining about Thai prices. What is you actual job? Something fishy here.

All you need to do is watch Fox news to make your mind up.

Nothing fishy at all. Im looking at it from a quality of life perspective. You make it would like I am complaining about a bowl of noodles. Just because I have a good job doesn't mean I don't see the value of a dollar and throw money around willy nilly. Why is that hard to understand? 

43 minutes ago, Berkshire said:

You are so full of it.  Does anybody out there actually believe that a financially successful individual would spend so much time on another country's forum bashing said other country that he doesn't even live in anymore?  Be honest.  Thailand chewed you up and spit you out.  You failed miserably in Thailand and had to head home with your tails between your legs.  We get it already.  Now crawl back under your rock. 

Yes. Yes I do. Especially if he has a thai wife. Its just hard for you to understand that, yes, people can be financially stable, happy, and NOT think thailand is the end all be all. 

32 minutes ago, bwpage3 said:

Do you know his wife? If not how can you even make such a ridiculous comment?

My wife lives in Florida and she never wants to go back to Thailand, not even to visit

Try having some facts to post

Typical defense if actual facts can not be drawn upon - Insult the person you are talking to and get real loud. 

22 minutes ago, Berkshire said:

You think Thais look down on white people?  Sorry, but I have not seen that. 

You just refuse to see it. 

18 minutes ago, Berkshire said:

Wait a minute, are you a white person or a minority?  If you're a Caucasian, then you have no idea what you're talking about. 

Look, how can you possible argue about life in the US, having never been there? How can you speak for these "Minorities" without knowing one yourself? Where in gods earth do you get this stuff? 

14 minutes ago, Berkshire said:

Man, you are seriously out of your element.  So you think that a light skin African-American can be racist towards a dark skin African-American?  Oh my God.  I doubt very much that people of the same race can be racist towards one another.  Do you even know what the word racist means?   

No man, you have no idea what you are talking about. 

13 minutes ago, Jeffkp said:

I'm confused. You're a US citizen and you have not been paying US taxes while in Thailand? US law says you pay income tax no matter where you live. If you go back to the US, you may have some serious tax issues.

Good luck, whatever your decision.

False. "Foreign Earned Income Exclusion"

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/international-taxpayers/foreign-earned-income-exclusion-physical-presence-test

6 minutes ago, Jeffkp said:

Yes, but you still need to file. I sure hope he has. There is an US citizen who lives in my building. He hasn't filed a tax return in 26 years. He can't move back and, of course, he can draw Social Security. He screwed himself.

I file every year. Im 100% up to date on my taxes. I file, claim the extension and either don't pay a dime or pay what I owe after the exclusion. That and the ACA Penalty. 

5 minutes ago, Berkshire said:

And if you read my post, you'll see that I was talking about certain parts of America.  Actually, there was a time that I believed America was getting over its race issues.  Not anymore.  Now that D. Trump is the Republican nominee, it's painfully obvious that there are many in America who are still hopelessly racist.

Where do you live?

The REAL question is where do you life? And what makes you the expert? 

2 minutes ago, bwpage3 said:

Actually expats can become current by only filing the past 3 years

Get a CPA and it can be sorted out easy

Fact.

Just now, Berkshire said:

You didn't answer the question.  If you are white, then yes, chances are you may not have experienced racism in America.  What's wrong with you people?  America is still incredibly racist.  Do you know about the Black Lives Matter movement in America?  Do you know how Muslims are viewed in America?  Mexicans?  You are being extremely disingenuous. 

WOW ok now we are on the black lives matter debate. 

And re Muslims and Mexican,  ...and Blacks Lives Matter ....yes I know about all of that.  But may I ask, where are you from?  I am from LA and we tend to have balanced views on these things.  We know blacks and Mexicans and Muslims.  We have them in our office, in our families, in our neighborhoods, and we are not living in Fox News.  I especially, really LIKE Mexicans.  I can't even actually believe you included that in your list of things to be worried about ...so I do wonder ...where are you from?

25 minutes ago, Johnniey said:

OK, test, what pronoun do Thai people use for white people when they think they can't hear or understand. This is 100% of the time. For example, "farang ....... chawp ab daet"

You're not making any sense.  I speak near fluent Thai and I don't understand what the heck you're talking about.  "Farang like...???"

8 minutes ago, amykat said:

I don't really think anyone would care in FL.

Its a bit of an "end of the road" place.

4 minutes ago, Berkshire said:

It's clear that you're not a racist.  I get that.  I wish there were more people like you.  But unfortunately, racism is still alive and well in America.  Look, this whole racial stuff is not the reason I left America.  But when people compare the USA to Thailand...man, it's not even close.  To put it simply, Thais don't even know what racism means because they don't practice it....not the way we do.  But Americans, we're experts. 

What in the heck are you talking about?

This entire forum is full of daily examples of systemic racism in Thailand.

What racism did you find in FL? Sure the old southerners, born and raised Floridians have some racist sentiment (and that is a two-way street) but seldom will those locals be the ones a new FL transplant will be in daily contact with.

FL is full of people from somewhere else. 

If your wife has a chicken farming background you might want to buy a chicken farm.  They are usually a money maker.  If the wife is the same lady that you were discussing the sinsot for before.  Tyson used to do a lease deal for the deed to the property.  Don't know if they still do.  The guys I know put the wife to work in the chicken house and they make shine in the woods.  Nice relaxed life.  

7 minutes ago, Berkshire said:

You're not making any sense.  I speak near fluent Thai and I don't understand what the heck you're talking about.  "Farang like...???"

Thai will always use the pronoun "mun". It was a simple question for you to fill in the blank.

farang...... mun..... chawp ab daet

Whities, they like sunbathing. I find it hard to believe you speak fluent Thai or you would know this.

Now think about what pronoun they use for Chinese!

Edited by Johnniey

5 minutes ago, Strange said:

Look, how can you possible argue about life in the US, having never been there? How can you speak for these "Minorities" without knowing one yourself? Where in gods earth do you get this stuff? 

I am an American, born and raised.  I lived nearly 40 years in the USA.  Yes, I know America all too well.

31 minutes ago, Berkshire said:

And if you read my post, you'll see that I was talking about certain parts of America.  Actually, there was a time that I believed America was getting over its race issues.  Not anymore.  Now that D. Trump is the Republican nominee, it's painfully obvious that there are many in America who are still hopelessly racist.

Where do you live?

Where are the certain parts?

I did read your post, and there is nothing in there about certain parts.

"       Berkshire said:

"Agree.  No way his wife said that.  If anything, she's going to hate the USA.  And you're right about the racism in America, it's getting worse and more out in the open with this "Trump phenomenon."  America has always been more racist than Thailand and he's going to find that there are parts of the USA where he and his little brown teeruk will not be welcome"

Edited by Shot

2 minutes ago, Johnniey said:

Thai will always use the pronoun "mun". It was a simple question for you to fill in the blank.

farang...... mun..... chawp ab daet

Whities, they like sunbathing. I find it hard to believe you speak fluent Thai or you would know this.

Perhaps it is you hanging around certain Thais.  And no, they will not "always" use the term "mun."  Complete BS.  You have some serious self-esteem issues.

2 minutes ago, Shot said:

Where are the certain parts?

I did read your post, and there is nothing in there about certain parts.

"      9 hours ago, Berkshire said:

"Agree.  No way his wife said that.  If anything, she's going to hate the USA.  And you're right about the racism in America, it's getting worse and more out in the open with this "Trump phenomenon."  America has always been more racist than Thailand and he's going to find that there are parts of the USA where he and his little brown teeruk will not be welcome"

I was referring to another post related to interracial relationships. 

2 minutes ago, Berkshire said:

Perhaps it is you hanging around certain Thais.  And no, they will not "always" use the term "mun."  Complete BS.  You have some serious self-esteem issues.

Yes they will, ask a Thai you trust or foreigner who speaks Thai and you'll find out they ALWAYS use this pronoun. 

I've heard it in all walks - from lo so drunks to at the  Bangkok Polo club.

To summarize, The OP is out of work. He landed out in the middle of Isaan and is slowly losing his mind because he had no plan. He comes on a Thai forum and vents from his own internal frustration.  He scoffs that Thais are racist because they have a word for us foreigners. Hmm. Shall we go through the names the Americans have for every other person on the planet. Berkshire is right, Americans are experts at racism. Thai's...not so much

In the end I get it. The OP is bored. I encourage him to move back. He will find it may not be as easy to do but again at 32 its a safe bet. My wife and I moved back to the US 4 years ago, we got her citizenship and moved back. She found gainful employment during our time there but wasn't happy about the income tax and cringed every time she saw my check stub. My wife did not care for the US at all and we lived in the SF bay area. Life is just easier and way better for us here in Thailand. But then again I have a nice job, nice house and have tons of hobbies. I go wheelin with my Thai friends, ride my moto up in the mountains, I shoot pool on Fridays, we have people over to our house for a BBQ etc. Honestly we just live life. America is a great place to visit, but I would not want to live there again but then again my circumstances are way different and that's what usually rubs some wrong and they go on a bender about Thailand and how bad it is. Change your circumstances. Things will get better.

Good luck

1 minute ago, Johnniey said:

Yes they will, ask a Thai you trust or foreigner who speaks Thai and you'll find out they ALWAYS use this pronoun. 

I've heard it in all walks - from lo so drunks to at the  Bangkok Polo club.

Again, nonsense.  It's never "always."  And Christ, Thais use the term "mun" to describe other Thais on occasion, especially among friends.  You really, really have no idea what you're talking about.

3 minutes ago, JAFO said:

To summarize, The OP is out of work. He landed out in the middle of Isaan and is slowly losing his mind because he had no plan. He comes on a Thai forum and vents from his own internal frustration.  He scoffs that Thais are racist because they have a word for us foreigners. Hmm. Shall we go through the names the Americans have for every other person on the planet. Berkshire is right, Americans are experts at racism. Thai's...not so much

In the end I get it. The OP is bored. I encourage him to move back. He will find it may not be as easy to do but again at 32 its a safe bet. My wife and I moved back to the US 4 years ago, we got her citizenship and moved back. She found gainful employment during our time there but wasn't happy about the income tax and cringed every time she saw my check stub. My wife did not care for the US at all and we lived in the SF bay area. Life is just easier and way better for us here in Thailand. But then again I have a nice job, nice house and have tons of hobbies. I go wheelin with my Thai friends, ride my moto up in the mountains, I shoot pool on Fridays, we have people over to our house for a BBQ etc. Honestly we just live life. America is a great place to visit, but I would not want to live there again but then again my circumstances are way different and that's what usually rubs some wrong and they go on a bender about Thailand and how bad it is. Change your circumstances. Things will get better.

Good luck

Very, very well said.  Thanks for bringing some adult perspective to this thread.  And yes, I too encourage the OP to move back.  A win for everybody. 

3 minutes ago, JAFO said:

Good luck

You lead a very good life in Thailand. Wheelin, bikin' etc.

Its good for you to put such things that influence your opinion in perspective. Its possible to live that life in many parts of the US...but you have to move away from the Blue Cities like SF. 

But lets be honest, how many ex-pats can find a niche like you have carved for yourself in Thailand? 

Honestly curious...not intending any TVF argument.

Also, its true that there are taxes in the US (and SF probably has even more) but we also have an infrastructure in the US that actually "works" and it is from those taxes. 

You guys like Thai food so much? I only like fried rice, pad thai or japanese/western food.

I miss good steaks, good (fresh) bread with good cheese/ham...chinese takeaway, kebab/shoarma, deepfried fishfillet without skin/bones, good mannered people, safe roads, restaurants with crying kids, people i can trust around me and who speak my language, high quality parks/roads/sidewalks, no traffic jam, cheap shops with good quality products and so on.....

I can't understand how farang can live outside of BKK or Pattaya but even BKK is sure no paradise. 

26 minutes ago, amykat said:

And re Muslims and Mexican,  ...and Blacks Lives Matter ....yes I know about all of that.  But may I ask, where are you from?  I am from LA and we tend to have balanced views on these things.  We know blacks and Mexicans and Muslims.  We have them in our office, in our families, in our neighborhoods, and we are not living in Fox News.  I especially, really LIKE Mexicans.  I can't even actually believe you included that in your list of things to be worried about ...so I do wonder ...where are you from?

I'm from all over...California (north and south), Nevada, Virginia, Georgia, Hawaii, Rhode Island.  I'm actually not a basher of America.  I'm still a huge admirer of what America stands for.  That's why you won't find me on some USA forum, bashing America after I've left.  Will never happen. 

30 minutes ago, Berkshire said:

Racism is alive and well all over the world; why single out the USA?

If you don't know the difference between comparing the third world with the first world, we can understand the only reason you ended up in Thailand.

Probably with your piss poor attitude, no education, no skills, probably married and divorced a few times and western woman took your sorry ass to the cleaners

Moved to Thailand because it was the only place in the world your retirement would afford you to live and every Thai woman in the bar would think you the most handsome man?

Your attitude is a dead giveaway that you are pissed off at your own life, jealous of those that did not trap themselves in Thailand, then try to make yourself feel better railing on everything from the USA to Racism

You have a sad life, you have not made one happy post out of 20

You would not be so angry and bitter if you had a true quality of life

The fact is your words tell your story clear as a book

Sad, angry, resentful others can move home, buy a house and have a quality of life

If you are worried about racism, well get over it. It doesn't bother me one bit

You don't speak Thai either or with your attitude you would have heard all the Thai's around you making snide remarks

People are free to make their own decisions in life, same as you

No one is a loser for moving home to a better life

You are the only loser for wishing you could but you cannot

16 hours ago, Ulysses G. said:

Visit California and tell me that. I miss being able to eat Thai food 3 times a day for a pittance and living in a clean comfortable room for a few hundred dollars. There is nothing like that here. You people don't know how good you have it.

He is not thinking about moving to the west coast but to Tampa.  Sure would be a lot cheaper for me to relocate my US household to Florida as well.  But no thanks.

OP, Nobody can help you make that decision you need to make it on your own. I sold my company and moved back to the USA for a few years to take care of my mom.  She died and I returned to Thailand.  I got my wife a visa and she enjoyed the US, but there are trade offs. Some things are cheaper but others are way more expensive.I had a nice condo in Bangkok with everything you said you are looking for pool, gym, 180sqm 2 bed, 2 baht, oven, dish washer, etc for 35,000B a month so you can find places like that.

As for your comment about going to the hospital, unless you are dying they are not going to take you unless you have insurance. It is now compulsive for you to purchase insurance and the rates are terrible. I was paying over $300 a month with a $5000 deductible, just crazy. If you dont get insurance you get fined. 

Cars are cheaper and an apartment can be about the same, but you are forgetting about other things such as utilities, cell phones, Internet, food etc.  In Thailand for my cell phone  I paid 1000B for unlimited. In the USA it is $110. Internet, cable in my house was $180 a month in the USA and in Thailand less than 3000B. Water in the house typically ran about $60, Thailand 200B, Electric in Thailand was about 2500B, in the USA I was paying close to $200, car insurance in Thailand I paid 20,000B a year, in the USA I was paying $1500.  Meat products in the US are crazy. Chicken in Thailand is about 70B per kilo so that is about 80-90 cents a pound. In the US it's $2.99 a pound.   Going out to eat is going to cost you $100 for two people just at a decent restaurant. Thailand I can go out have a great meal with drinks and it will be 1500B. 

I lived right outside of Tampa and traffic is bad during rush hour.  I did enjoy my time in the USA but decided to move back to Thailand and just go to the US for holidays each year for 2-3 months.  However again it's something only you can decide. Both have their pros and cons.  Good luck as I know it's not an easy decision. When my mom got sick I really didnt want to leave but really didnt have a choice. After she died it took me several months to decide if I wanted to stay or return to Thailand.  Good Luck!!

11 minutes ago, JAFO said:

Good luck

No I have a financial safety net that has allowed me to sit around and not work for the better part of a year and a half. I could do so for another year if I wanted to but I don't think I want to. Im only out of work temporarily and its the name of the business. 

I know that blanket statements like "Thais are _____"  are crummy, and there are a lot of good hearted thai people. But yes, I do have a problem with being viewed as a foreigner. The wife & family might not look at it like that but for the sake of government and law, we will always be a foreigner. Speak all the thai you want, spend all the money you want, hang out at the best places, whatever. Still a foreigner. I don't like that. You have no right to property. No accountability. It bothers me. It didn't before, but the older I get i guess it does.

Im happy you like it here and have made a nice place for yourself. I have a great place here too. I have a rented 3 bed 2 bath detached house, car, motorbike, big bike, dog... 50/10 internet. 

Im just starting to feel that there is more to life than sitting here. Working or not. 

Just now, ClutchClark said:

You lead a very good life in Thailand. Wheelin, bikin' etc.

Its good for you to put such things that influence your opinion in perspective. Its possible to live that life in many parts of the US...but you have to move away from the Blue Cities like SF. 

But lets be honest, how many ex-pats can find a niche like you have carved for yourself in Thailand? 

Honestly curious...not intending any TVF argument.

Also, its true that there are taxes in the US (and SF probably has even more) but we also have an infrastructure in the US that actually "works" and it is from those taxes. 

That's a fair question CC and not what I see as a TVF argument( at least not from me anyway). How many??? I know quite a few other execs that live incredibly well. I do not associate with them much as they live in BKK and I live my life differently. I grew up on a farm most of my young life and I like my outdoor stuff and still play hard.  But to your point I guess that would depend on how they went about their plan and what they wanted. It really boils down to planning and then making it happen. Some move here on a whim and sadly live with the results(They are usually the grumpiest and most bitter).  Others moved here to maximize their pension and it works for them (Mixed bag some miserable others happy clams). Others have been here on and off, made a list of what they wanted to do and set out to live it. Its all very doable (Always the happiest and content).

To your other point, Yes the US has a well defined infrastructure that works. But you pay dearly for that and how much of it do you really use? While Thailand is not nearly as developed it all depends where one lives thus as has always been said in the US and applies to Thailand, Location Location Location. Take medical services for example. Yes you are out in nowhere land and have a accident in Thailand you will likely perish. But same in the US. Live out in the mountains or farm fields and its the same result. Live in the city in the US, have an accident medical services readily at hand, BKK the same. These are things one should consider about where to live. I could on.

My wife and I planned our return to Thailand very well. We left Thailand because I had a job offer and she came with me. we spent lots of long nights laying it all out. We have been married 4+ years now(Yes we got married in the US, easier for us get her naturalized Long story on that). 

In the end the only limitation one has is the limitation they put on themselves. I said I was not coming here to stop what I was doing and enjoying in the US, So I set out and made friends, got hooked up with people. Made friends at work and now its just life for me. 

2 minutes ago, Strange said:

No I have a financial safety net that has allowed me to sit around and not work for the better part of a year and a half. I could do so for another year if I wanted to but I don't think I want to. Im only out of work temporarily and its the name of the business. 

I know that blanket statements like "Thais are _____"  are crummy, and there are a lot of good hearted thai people. But yes, I do have a problem with being viewed as a foreigner. The wife & family might not look at it like that but for the sake of government and law, we will always be a foreigner. Speak all the thai you want, spend all the money you want, hang out at the best places, whatever. Still a foreigner. I don't like that. You have no right to property. No accountability. It bothers me. It didn't before, but the older I get i guess it does.

Im happy you like it here and have made a nice place for yourself. I have a great place here too. I have a rented 3 bed 2 bath detached house, car, motorbike, big bike, dog... 50/10 internet. 

Im just starting to feel that there is more to life than sitting here. Working or not. 

Firstly, your wife will always be a foreigner in America, even if she becomes a citizen.  But let's be honest here, no one likes to listen to people bashing their home.  I've made a few comments about America and you see how sensitive people are.  That's normal.  So why do you think that you can bash other people's home with impunity?  Peace.