Bangkok police to end the city's traffic woes - and these flags are bound to help!

webfact

Bangkok police to end the city's traffic woes - and these flags are bound to help!

a4.jpg

Image: tnamcot

BANGKOK: -- Bangkok's top brass are driving forward to bring an end to the city's notorious traffic congestion.

And they promised the following on Monday: "To make today's traffic better than yesterday's!", reported tnamcot

"Before and After" flags were handed out as the force announced a major restructuring in how the traffic is policed in the metropolitan area.

In fact they boasted in English: "Before....and after. We're better!"

Their aim is to create greater understanding among the public by establishing more vigilance on the capital's 21 main roads. New bosses of each precinct are being created and each will have new powers over the traffic in their jurisdictions.

They will be able to make changes to things like traffic flow, signage, arrows on the roads.

And even be responsible for more enforcement of the traffic rules and regulations.

Chief Sanit Mahathavorn appeared with his deputy at the Met Niphon Charoenphon as well as the heads of all 9 Met precincts. 

Hundreds of traffic cops were also at the Lat Prao five way intersection yesterday afternoon in party mood as they celebrated the beginning of the end for traffic problems in Krung Thep.

Sanit did mention, however, that the police could not do it single handedly - he wants the public to play their part by obeying the law too.

Among the 21 roads mentioned for special attention were arteries such as Rachadapisek, Chaeng Wattana, Pahonyothin, Ran Inthra, Sukhumvit, Lat Prao, Rama 9, Rama 4 and Rama 2.

Source: tnamcot

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2016-09-13

So they want to rectify many years of selfish driving with flags and slogans?

like ok, how many Thai drives can read English let alone understand what

dose it even mean? I speak and read English fairly well and I don't understand

what is before and after.....

Having said that, I know plenty places around the world that traffic is much worse

than BKK and with mush more obnoxious and rude drivers,

the real problems is that not enough roads are being build to accommodate the hundred of thousands

of cars added to the roads every year, many roads should be one way and will solve many problems, but when traffic laws and rules are up to the whims of a local Pu yei and big

businesses that dictated to the local chief of the police station  by those influential people

things are going to remain as they're no matter how many flags the will hand out......

Edited by ezzra

20 minutes ago, colinneil said:

Just another brain dead scheme thought up by brain dead folk :w00t:

Tomorrow it will be the same as yesterday.

Monty Python had the Ministry of Silly Walks and the BIB a Dept. of Stupidity.

Just get back to the basics of good policing although I expect the concept of basic policing is beyond the understanding of those running the Police Farce as they're too busy looking for publicity while making fools of themselves, even bigger fools that is.

Can't help but thinking that whomever came up with this harebrained idea has just been having English lessons or can speak a bit of English. This isn't so much about alleviating traffic as it is an excuse for some high up to show off his English skills.

Anywho, back to nothing about the traffic changing. Nice flags, though. They'll have to go into the museum of "What were we thinking?". 

27 minutes ago, outsider said:

Basically more chaos.

Yep, 21 distinct precincts with jurisdiction over their own territory? Commanded by barely competent cops with zero experience in traffic management?

How could this possibly fail??

Flags are pretty....can never have enough flags.

If the BIB want to help reduce Bangkok congestion, then stop putting up police checkpoints at locations which are easily jammed by any roadway obstruction/slowdown.  

Yes, they need to have checkpoints as I know they catch a lot of people with expired or without required documents like a valid drivers license, trucks with questionable/illegal cargo, etc., but the BIB seem to setup the checkpoints at some of the worst possible traffic locations  Maybe that's because there is a shade tree or bridge to stand under at that location or it's a proven high donation location.

2 hours ago, NongKhaiKid said:

Monty Python had the Ministry of Silly Walks and the BIB a Dept. of Stupidity.

Just get back to the basics of good policing although I expect the concept of basic policing is beyond the understanding of those running the Police Farce as they're too busy looking for publicity while making fools of themselves, even bigger fools that is.

I feel strongly that we are living in "la la land." No question in my mind.