Requirements for Marriage Visa with a thai lady

Dear all,

after checking and reading several internet sites, thai official sites (e.g. mfa.co.th, thai embassy in germany) I not quite sure what are the current requirements of getting a marriage visa with a thai lady. 

Mostly I have read that the thai immigration wants now that you show an average money income of 40.000 THB a month. Base should be the last 3 month. If you don´t reach this you can show a bank statement of minimum 400.000 THB. This must not be on a thai bank. Any other bank shall be enough. 

i am right now 47 years old, not retired, and planning to live together with my thai lady in thailand. We want to marry and live together mostly in thailand.

Can somebody of the experts here please confirm me I am right or in case I am wrong telling me the current facts ? 

Thanks in advance

Best regards

Oliver   

After you get married you can get a single or multiple entry non-o visa from an embassy or consulate based upon marriage to a Thai. At most locations no financial proof is needed to get the visa.

You can apply for a one year extension of  stay based upon marriage at immigration during the last 30 days of the 90 day entry from a non-o visa. You will need proof of 40k baht income (there is no 3 month requirement unless working here) or 400k baht in a Thai bank in your name only for 2 months.

A rough guide when applying for the 12 month extension.

(1) The alien has obtained a temporary visa (NON-IM)

(6) In case of marriage with a Thai lady, the husband who is an alien must have an average annual income of not less than 40,000 baht per month or a money deposit in a local Thai bank of not less than 400,000 baht for the past 2 months for expenses within a year.

Letter from your Thai Bank showing balance and up to date bank book.

OR.

If income from outside Thailand: Letter from your Embassy showing income. Now may also need proof of income as back up.

If Income from Thailand: Statements showing Income Tax receipts.

Marriage Certificate. (Kor Ror 3)

Marriage Registry entry. (Kor Ror 2)

Wife's Tabbien Baan and ID Card.

Your Passport.

Copies of everything.

Photos of you and your Wife in and around the house.

A map showing the way to your house.

Passport size photos and 1,900 Baht fee.

Take your Wife to be interviewed.

One or two witnesses may be required.

You will be given a 30 day under consideration stamp.

Go back in a month and get the remainder.

• Like 1

1.  You do not need any special visa to get married so perhaps that should be first step.  You can come here as tourist.

2.  To obtain non immigrant O visa after marriage can be done with a trip to adjacent country for most people.  These can be 90 day stays or multi 90 day stays up to one year per visa issue.  Most Thai consulates would require some financial proof of the multi entry but not all.

3.  To extend stay at immigration inside Thailand would require the proof of income or bank account - but bank account would need to be in Thailand.

4.  Application for any extension of stay is done with TM.7 form - if done for marriage outside Bangkok more than one copy might be required but in Bangkok it is only one.  But normal copies of other documents for this type of extension would also be needed along with the 1,900 baht fee as outlined in post 3. 

Where do you want to get married, Germany or Thailand?

If you get your g/f the correct visa to go to Germany for marriage, you can take care of all the things that your home country need for you to marry a foreigner.

When you want to go to Thailand, all your marriage paperwork will have to be translated into Thai and approved by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Bangkok.

It might complicate you getting a visa extension based on marriage - I am not sure.

For marriage in Thailand, you will need an Affidavit from your embassy showing that you are free to marry.

You may have to show them a divorce certificate Original Paperwork, depends on what your Embassy want.

Recently, there have been problems for such Affidavits from the British Embassy and others.

The Thai authorities were unhappy with the information given and started discussions as to what the corredt atatements should be.

I do not know if your Embassy is affected by this or what stage the discussions have reached.

Note that in the Thai marriage which is carried out in the Town Hall, Amphur, you will be asked to declare any property that you own that you want to exclude from the marriage.

Example, if you have a house and you want to keep it only as your property, you should declare it.

Note that in a Thai marriage, everything purchased after the marriage will belong 50/50 to each partner so if you unfortunately divorce only the things purchased after the marriage have to be shared.

The items you had registered on the marriage certificate as yours prior to the marriage do not have to be shared.

They will issue two colourful and quite pretty marriage certificates, one for each of you plus a couple more pages where the marriage is documented in detail and private property (if any) is registered.

I suggest that you get your marriage certificate translated into German and approved by the Thai MoFA so that should you want to take your wife on a trip to Germany, there will be no delay in getting her a visa from your Embassy. For such a visa the Embassy may need a Police Clearance certificate (can take 3 weeks or more to get), A good health Certificate (when she goes to the DSI to apply for the clearance certificate, she can pop into the Police Hospital next door and get the helth check done, they know the correct form that the certificate should take, there is some specific wording that must be used.

Good luck, enjoy your new beginning!

Denmark is a good place to get married, not so much paperwork is required, was a programme on German TV about couples who went there, one woman from the Phillipines and her German husband used Denmark due to the minimum amount of paperwork required.

In Thailand you would still need to get the marriage certificate translated and authenticated by the MoFA, and register the marriage at the Amphur to assist in getting the correct Visa/Extension to stay in Thailand.

No health check is required for a visa to go on holiday to Germany as stated above.

Edited by beano2274
addition
  • Like 1

If you intend to live in your wife's house, be sure to find out about the :-

tm30HouseMasterNotifiesArrivalInThailand

and be sure that your local Immigration office receives it as soon as you arrive.

Failure to do this can cause you problems/fines later on.

I say you but she will be fined (OK, you pay ) but later, when you do 90 day reports, you may have problems.

Again, depends on the Immigration Office where you will live.

We are in a similar situation, me and the Mrs have been together for over 10 years and have known each other for almost 20 years. We live in the UK at the moment and we are returning to live in Thailand in late October or early November this year.

We aren't married at the moment as the Mrs is getting a divorce from her ex husband (UK national) who she split up with over 20 years ago but they just didn't bother divorcing, the only reason that we are doing this now is to make it easier for me to stay long term in Thailand.

I am mid 40's and she is late 40's and we are going to look into buying a business to hopefully live of but will still keep some assets in the UK a flat in London and a holiday let in Wales. We are selling our main residence in Wales to fund the move and buying a business so will have ample money in the bank for visa requirements.

The question I have are will I be able to get a non im visa in the thai embassy in London based on a defacto relationship? we will have to go there to renew my Mrs thai passport as it ran out 15 or so years ago (she has a UK passport now), or would I have to get a tourist visa and change that when we are married in Thailand.

8 minutes ago, zd1 said:

We are in a similar situation, me and the Mrs have been together for over 10 years and have known each other for almost 20 years. We live in the UK at the moment and we are returning to live in Thailand in late October or early November this year.

We aren't married at the moment as the Mrs is getting a divorce from her ex husband (UK national) who she split up with over 20 years ago but they just didn't bother divorcing, the only reason that we are doing this now is to make it easier for me to stay long term in Thailand.

I am mid 40's and she is late 40's and we are going to look into buying a business to hopefully live of but will still keep some assets in the UK a flat in London and a holiday let in Wales. We are selling our main residence in Wales to fund the move and buying a business so will have ample money in the bank for visa requirements.

The question I have are will I be able to get a non im visa in the thai embassy in London based on a defacto relationship? we will have to go there to renew my Mrs thai passport as it ran out 15 or so years ago (she has a UK passport now), or would I have to get a tourist visa and change that when we are married in Thailand.

You will not be able to get a non-o visa for a de facto marriage. You will need  to get a tourist visa and then get a non-o visa after you get married.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You will not be able to get a non-o visa for a de facto marriage. You will need  to get a tourist visa and then get a non-o visa after you get married.

Thank you after reading loads of threads about this I thought as much, is there another option to get a non im visa based on money in the bank for example, its just that when we arrive we will have our pets with us and I don't really want to have to leave the country within a few months of arriving, or is it possible to change from a tourist visa to a non im without having to leave the country.

2 minutes ago, zd1 said:

Thank you after reading loads of threads about this I thought as much, is there another option to get a non im visa based on money in the bank for example, its just that when we arrive we will have our pets with us and I don't really want to have to leave the country within a few months of arriving, or is it possible to change from a tourist visa to a non im without having to leave the country.

You can do a change of visa status at Bangkok immigration (or perhaps at one or two other offices) to get a 90 day non immigrant visa entry. It would take two trips to immigration 15 days apart to get the visa/entry stamps.  You wife would have to be with you when you apply.

You wife would not have to be with you to apply for the non-o visa.

You will have one little snag after you wife gets divorced. There is rule that she cannot get married again after divorce for a period of time which is based upon the chance she could be pregnant from her previous marriage. But now a negative pregnancy test can take care of that waiting period.

2 minutes ago, zd1 said:

You can do a change of visa status at Bangkok immigration (or perhaps at one or two other offices) to get a 90 day non immigrant visa entry. It would take two trips to immigration 15 days apart to get the visa/entry stamps.  You wife would have to be with you when you apply.

You will have one little snag after you wife gets divorced. There is rule that she cannot get married again after divorce for a period of time which is based upon the chance she could be pregnant from her previous marriage. But now a negative pregnancy test can take care of that waiting period.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Thank you for your sound advice, this looks to be the best option for us.

The little snag you mentioned isn't going to cause us any problems as she isn't pregnant and if she were it would it would be mine anyhow.

27 minutes ago, Lite Beer said:

You do not qualify for a Non Imm O Visa.

Thank you, fair enough I was just wanting to explore all options available, I think what Ubonjoe said in his reply may have answered my question.

5 hours ago, zd1 said:

To get her Thai PP she will first need Thai ID and she will need her birth certificate for that and if her parents are alive, they can guarantee her and help get everything done.

Name added to a Tambian Baan etc.

Good luck.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, laislica said:

To get her Thai PP she will first need Thai ID and she will need her birth certificate for that and if her parents are alive, they can guarantee her and help get everything done.

Name added to a Tambian Baan etc.

Good luck.

Thank you, yes she got her thai id back in January it was an all day job with both parents, elder sister and a bottle of whiskey for the helpful official. She also go her house in Bangkok put back into her name, it was in her Dads name as when she purchased it she wasn't allowed to have her name on it as she was married to a foreigner this law has since changed. She also registered for the 30 baht health scheme.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, raro said:

how man months of income do you have to show? Three? Which other documents do they want to see nowadays for the one year extension?

If working you need to show 2 or 3 months of income dependent upon the office you apply at.

A general list of documents required follows.

Unless you are applying at Bangkok you will need 2 sets of copies attached to 2 TM7 application.forms.

Proof of 400k baht in the bank for 2 months by way of a letter from your bank and your bank book.or 40k baht income

Copies of your passport photo page and every page that has any stamp or visa for Thailand on it. Copy of TM6 departure card.

Marriage certificate and a updated Kor Ror 2 marriage registry (Kor Ror 22 for foreign marriages)

Copies of your wife's house book registry and ID card.

Photos of you and your wife in and around the house. One must show you both with the house number shown in it. The number of photos needed varies by office.

Map to your residence from the nearest main road or street.

Proof of residence if not living where your wife's house book is for.

Some offices may want witnesses when you apply.