Philippine president wants US forces out of restive south 

webfact

Philippine president wants US forces out of restive south 
JIM GOMEZ, Associated Press

MANILA, Philippines (AP) — Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte said Monday he wants U.S. forces out of his country's south and blamed America for inflaming Muslim insurgencies in the region, in his first public statement opposing the presence of American troops.

Washington, however, said it had not received a formal request to remove U.S. military personnel. White House spokesman Josh Earnest said Duterte had a tendency to make "colorful comments" and drew a comparison with Republican presidential nominee Donald Trump.

Duterte has had an uneasy relationship with the U.S. since becoming president in June and has been openly critical of American security policies. As a candidate, he declared he would chart a foreign policy that would not depend on America, his country's treaty ally.

In 2002, the U.S. military deployed troops to train, advise and provide intelligence and weapons to Filipino troops battling al-Qaida-linked Abu Sayyaf militants in the southern Philippines. When the American forces withdrew in February last year, U.S. officials said a smaller contingent of U.S. military advisers would stay. Details of the current U.S. military presence in the south were not immediately available.

Duterte did not mention any deadline or say how he intends to pursue his wishes.

State Department spokesman John Kirby said Monday that the U.S. was aware of Duterte'scomments, but is "not aware of any official communication by the Philippine government to that effect and to seek that result." He said the U.S. remained committed to its long-standing alliance with the Philippines.

Before the alliance, the Philippines was a colony of the United States from 1898 to 1946, except for a period of Japanese occupation in World War II.

In opposing the U.S. military presence in the southern Mindanao region, Duterte cited the killing of Muslims during a U.S. pacification campaign in the early 1900s, which he said was at the root of the long restiveness of minority Muslims in the largely Catholic nation's south.

"For as long as we stay with America, we will never have peace in that land," Duterte said in a speech to newly appointed government officials.

He showed photos of what he described as Muslim Filipinos, including children and women, who were slain by U.S. forces in the early 1900s and dumped in a pit in Bud Daho, a mountainous region in southern Sulu province. American soldiers stood around the mass grave.

"The special forces, they have to go. They have to go in Mindanao, there are many whites there, they have to go," he said, adding that he was reorienting the country's foreign policy. "I do not want a rift with America, but they have to go."

By contrast, White House spokesman Earnest said, "Filipino people have enormous affection for the United States." He said the U.S. military has been present in the Philippines for a number of years at the request of its leaders, and the U.S. provided humanitarian assistance when a cyclone struck and help for maritime security.

With the United States two months away from a presidential election that will pit President Barack Obama's fellow Democrat Hillary Clinton against Trump, Earnest drew a comparison with the Philippines. He said that elections say a lot about what kind of person is "going to represent your country on the international stage."

When asked if he were trying to draw a cautionary tale for the American people, Earnest said, "I guess some people could draw that analogy."

Last week, Obama called off what would have been his first meeting with Duterte on the sidelines of an Asian summit in Laos after the Philippine president used the phrase "son of a bitch" in warning that he wouldn't accept lectures from Obama on human rights.

Despite the remark, the two leaders later shook hands and had a brief chat in a holding room where Duterte reportedly said his words were not directed at Obama.

Duterte, however, has continued to press his criticism of the American president.

In another speech late Monday, Duterte said for the first time that he deliberately skipped a meeting between Southeast Asian leaders and Obama at the summit in Laos out of principle. His spokesman said at the time that Duterte did not attend the meeting because of a migraine.

American colonial forces killed many Muslims in the southern Philippines more than a century ago "because you were here as imperialists, you wanted to colonize my country and because you had a hard time pacifying the Moro people," Duterte said in the speech.

While criticizing U.S. policies, Duterte has taken steps to repair relations with China, which were strained under his predecessor over territorial disputes in the South China Sea.

____

Associated Press writer Matthew Pennington in Washington contributed to this report.

ap_logo.jpg
-- © Associated Press 2016-09-13

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unstable corrupt thug of a man. However, he has a legal mandate and was elected by  his people. USA should say, ok, we're leaving now, good luck. And by the way, we respect your sentiments and will no longer provide foreign aid or expend our resources protecting  the Philippines.  

The problems now are the result of the Philippinos themselves and no one else. Waste of time worrying about a country which refuse to allow birth control, yet cannot care for the tens of thousands of children  born into poverty each year. The fact that the president was mayor of the city with the highest rate of HIV and  infection in the region speaks volumes.

Looks like all the previous posters are Americano right. What has American intervention really done for the Phillippines? Still poor,still have many problems. America is there for America's interests same as they are in Thailand for American interests. Maybe people are tired of America and their we are here for you face well robbing them from behind and hindering them. And Duterte is telling America just that.

The truth hurts huh.

Edited by lovelomsak

4 minutes ago, lovelomsak said:

Looks like all the previous posters are Americano right. What has American intervention really done for the Phillippines? Still poor,still have many problems. America is there for America's interests same as they are in Thailand for American interests. Maybe people are tired of America and their we are here for you face well robbing them from behind and hindering them. And Duterte is telling America just that.

The truth hurts huh.

What American intervention?  A base on their land?  Like Japan?  Japan seems to be doing pretty well.  Can't blame the US for the problems in the PI.  It's due to poor leadership.

P.S. you are aware of what the US is doing to help them in the South, right?

50 minutes ago, geriatrickid said:

Unstable corrupt thug of a man. However, he has a legal mandate and was elected by  his people. USA should say, ok, we're leaving now, good luck. And by the way, we respect your sentiments and will no longer provide foreign aid or expend our resources protecting  the Philippines.  

The problems now are the result of the Philippinos themselves and no one else. Waste of time worrying about a country which refuse to allow birth control, yet cannot care for the tens of thousands of children  born into poverty each year. The fact that the president was mayor of the city with the highest rate of HIV and  infection in the region speaks volumes.

Your comment reveals the ignorance that lots of people have !    :)

This foreign aid that the rich nations give to the poorer nations, it's not for free, the aid is with strings attached.
You don't want to expend your resources protecting the Philippines ?  Well, great, tell your military to leave. Washington is in the Philippines, it's their to keep the Philippines under America's sphere of influence. Washington is there, to prevent the Philippines becoming aligned with China, got to stop the Phils being under China's sphere of influence.

Nothing is for free, and that includes all aid given to Third World countries.

1 hour ago, geriatrickid said:

1 hour ago, craigt3365 said:

Okay, I stand alongside you guys, let's all cheer on the following comment: Washington should remove all it's military aid and links to the Philippines. Let the Phils defend it's own self. It's not right that the USA has to aid the Philippines !!   :)

And you know what, Washington will NEVER remove it's military links with the Philipinnes. Why ?  Because THOSE military links benefit Washington, that's why Washington will NEVER leave.    :)

4 minutes ago, tonbridgebrit said:

And you know what, Washington will NEVER remove it's military links with the Philipinnes. Why ?  Because THOSE military links benefit Washington, that's why Washington will NEVER leave.    

Washington ALREADY left. The Philippines asked them back.

16 minutes ago, tonbridgebrit said:

Okay, I stand alongside you guys, let's all cheer on the following comment: Washington should remove all it's military aid and links to the Philippines. Let the Phils defend it's own self. It's not right that the USA has to aid the Philippines !!   :)

And you know what, Washington will NEVER remove it's military links with the Philipinnes. Why ?  Because THOSE military links benefit Washington, that's why Washington will NEVER leave.    :)

The PI aren't that important.  The US left before, not a biggie to do so again.  Easy for the US to project military might with their carrier fleet:

http://www.globalfirepower.com/navy-aircraft-carriers.asp

4 minutes ago, DeaconJohn said:

Washington never left the Phillipines.

It was a game of musical chairs obscured by smoke and mirrors.

Ummm...they did leave.  Have you been back there since?  Easy to see what it looks like now.

http://www.nytimes.com/1991/12/28/world/philippines-orders-us-to-leave-strategic-navy-base-at-subic-bay.html?pagewanted=all

This might help also.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philippines–United_States_relations

7 minutes ago, craigt3365 said:

The PI aren't that important.  The US left before, not a biggie to do so again.  Easy for the US to project military might with their carrier fleet:

http://www.globalfirepower.com/navy-aircraft-carriers.asp

Yes, you're right, Washington can project it's military might with it's carrier fleet. The carrier fleet doesn't actually need the Philipinnes to load up and refresh supplies. They can pick up food and fuel from South Korea and Japan.

BUT, this whole thing is about Washinton's military presence in the Phils, to make sure that the Phils does NOT fall into the arms of Beijing.
Also, this South China Sea dispute. Washington needs to have the Philipinnes appearing to fully support America's military presence. Washington needs to have the Philipinnes' approval when sailing it's military ships near the Philipinnes' coastline.  I mean, Washington is there, one of the main reasons is supposedly, to protect the Philipinnes. Now, you can only 'protect' somebody IF they want to be "protected".    :)

3 hours ago, DeaconJohn said:

American military involvement  - in one form or another - has been continuous since 1899.

Saying otherwise is just pushing an agenda.

As is saying "It was a game of musical chairs obscured by smoke and mirrors."  Pushing an agenda?

3 hours ago, tonbridgebrit said:

Yes, you're right, Washington can project it's military might with it's carrier fleet. The carrier fleet doesn't actually need the Philipinnes to load up and refresh supplies. They can pick up food and fuel from South Korea and Japan.

BUT, this whole thing is about Washinton's military presence in the Phils, to make sure that the Phils does NOT fall into the arms of Beijing.
Also, this South China Sea dispute. Washington needs to have the Philipinnes appearing to fully support America's military presence. Washington needs to have the Philipinnes' approval when sailing it's military ships near the Philipinnes' coastline.  I mean, Washington is there, one of the main reasons is supposedly, to protect the Philipinnes. Now, you can only 'protect' somebody IF they want to be "protected".    :)

The US has been very vocal about their "pivot" towards Asia.  It's not only the US that needs the PI supporting the tribunal's ruling.  It's a huge deal to ASEAN.  Several other members are having the same problems.  If one backs down, China will be emboldened and continue with their actions.

If the PI backs out, fine.  But the US won't stop the freedom of navigation exercises.  Which is a good thing.

5 hours ago, lovelomsak said:

This is the same world wide in any country of the world. They all look for their own self interest, and alliances are held together by mutual self interests. The only difference is that America is the most powerful country in the world, and as a result they receive a lot more criticism as they have a lot of influence. 

@DeaconJohn: I was in the Navy when they shut down Subic Bay in the early 90s. They definitely left. I suppose you can count some army soldiers near embassies, or smaller presences, but America left the PI and only recently came back.

Edited by jcsmith

12 minutes ago, DeaconJohn said:

No agenda being pushed, just the truth.

No one could seriously deny that the US Military has been in the Philippines in one capacity or another since 1899.

No argument, but you didn't address my question.  No worries.  It's understood, as jcsmith has stated above.

7 hours ago, craigt3365 said:

Isn't it annoying to see this....USA  have stood by this country for yonks...and this is the thanks they get....

Yep I agree...pack up wave goodbye and when they fall into trouble again....tell them you are too busy looking after Americans first....

He (The Thug)...will miss the massive funding he has been receiving from these people he now puts <deleted> on....But the Do Good UN will be whinging after a while to get the funding reinstated I suppose.....

6 hours ago, lovelomsak said:

The truth hurts huh.

When Trump becomes President he will use the Startrek term "Make it so" You don't have to worry about "hindering" the Phillipines it does that well enough on its own to itself. Read the comment above Post number 2. Withdraw your troops and foreign aid. Maybe the Catholic church will all their money will step in and help. Ha Ha Ha. I lived in Mexico for l0 years that is reigned by the Catholic church. The church there was much like the Thai government here. Incoming cash OK outgoing not so much so. 

And the Trump of the Philippines runs his diarrhea mouth yet once again. I will agree that the US needs to keep the "China" Seas open and to stop the Chinese from their illegal encroachment. BTW, doesn't the Donald of the Philippines come from a muslim family? Personally and from a purely "recreational" point of view I was sorry to see the US come back into Subic although I would have surely loved to have been there with some of my USMC buddies back in the day. The Donald of the Philippines is bitting the hand that feeds him and he'll get no dividend off of that move. The Philippines will need the US if they ever expect to regain control of THEIR Scarborough Shoals.

7 hours ago, lovelomsak said:

The truth hurts huh.

The truth hurts who? How does asking the small force of 1,300 US soldiers who are serving on behalf of and at the request of the Philippine government to leave, hurt the US? The US hasn't had a major military presence or any permanent bases in the Philippines since the early 90's . This hurts only the Philippines, but if they want the US gone, we should be gone and they can see where the chips fall.

Edited by kamahele

26 minutes ago, kamahele said:

The truth hurts who? How does asking the small force of 1,300 US soldiers who are serving on behalf of and at the request of the Philippine government to leave, hurt the US? The US hasn't had a major military presence or any permanent bases in the Philippines since the early 90's . This hurts only the Philippines, but if they want the US gone, we should be gone and they can see where the chips fall.

And I believe many of those soldiers were helping the government with the muslim insurgency in the south, right???  Yes, at their request. LOL

I would like to meet a Philippino has has benefitted from AID sent by USA. I have heard of the corruption envolved but no benefits. Things like bags of rice for sale in small poor villages still in the US foreign AID bags. Not free to the poor being sold to the poor. No money no rice Yah what a great help that is.

So some one please tell me of one personal account they have witnessed or one Philippino that has told them of the AID they have recieved from the USA.I personnaly do not know a single soul.But I can tell stories about babies being sold for a bag of rice sent from America. You all remember" rice babies"  right.

7 minutes ago, lovelomsak said:

I would like to meet a Philippino has has benefitted from AID sent by USA. I have heard of the corruption envolved but no benefits. Things like bags of rice for sale in small poor villages still in the US foreign AID bags. Not free to the poor being sold to the poor. No money no rice Yah what a great help that is.

So some one please tell me of one personal account they have witnessed or one Philippino that has told them of the AID they have recieved from the USA.I personnaly do not know a single soul.But I can tell stories about babies being sold for a bag of rice sent from America. You all remember" rice babies"  right.

Perhaps not aid, but for sure easy visas to the US.  Go into any hospital in the US and over 50% of the nurses are Filipinos.  I've been to a few where it's closer to 80%.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2271455/Revealed-How-immigrants-America-sending-120-BILLION-struggling-families-home.html

Oh look!  10 Billion USD a year being sent back to the Philippines from the US.  Right...no benefit.

27 minutes ago, craigt3365 said:

Perhaps not aid, but for sure easy visas to the US.  Go into any hospital in the US and over 50% of the nurses are Filipinos.  I've been to a few where it's closer to 80%.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2271455/Revealed-How-immigrants-America-sending-120-BILLION-struggling-families-home.html

Oh look!  10 Billion USD a year being sent back to the Philippines from the US.  Right...no benefit.

Us have a high shortage of reg. Nurses and should be thankful for all nurses and physical therapists that comes from Philippines. A high % of ER & ICU nurses are Filipinos