"Rai" becomes tropical storm, will unleash relentless rainfall through to the weekend

webfact

On ‎13‎/‎09‎/‎2016 at 3:21 PM, tukkytuktuk said:

Forecasted to hit the north of Thailand, I know, but if it comes south towards Bangkok I have some useful radar maps that can help update you on the rain every 10 minutes.

1 - http://weather.bangkok.go.th/radar/radar.jpg

2 - http://weather.bangkok.go.th/radar/RadarNongKam.aspx

nkradar.jpg

Well, 16.30ish on the 14th it just caught up with Buri Ram, anybody know the radar station covering  Issan?

10 hours ago, chiang mai said:

Rubbish! The purpose of dams is to collect water supplies and not to avoid flooding, in that respect they are placed optimally. And they are also doing their jobs well, if you click on the above link and look at the numbers and trend.

Well, I'll concede that I might be overly cynical, but the stated purpose of the Bak Moon Dam, for example, was explicitly to generate hydroelectric power, which it failed to do. They might be doing an excellent job of collecting rainwater this year (I haven't checked out your link), but in past years they usually did not. Years in which they did not run out of water before the second planting season were very few. Also, remember that the stated purpose of a system may be different from what we observe in practice.

Edited by Acharn

24 minutes ago, Acharn said:

Well, I'll concede that I might be overly cynical, but the stated purpose of the Bak Moon Dam, for example, was explicitly to generate hydroelectric power, which it failed to do. They might be doing an excellent job of collecting rainwater this year (I haven't checked out your link), but in past years they usually did not. Years in which they did not run out of water before the second planting season were very few. Also, remember that the stated purpose of a system may be different from what we observe in practice.

You can only harvest rain water when there is sufficient rain to harvest. This year unlike last year there has been and I hope will continue to have plenty to harvest. Can't blame anyone if it doesn't rain enough therefore not enough to run a hydro therefore can not generate electric. Again no one's fault. But this is Thai visa so!!!!