Are you happier & more relaxed since living in Thailand?

JJGreen

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ABSOLUTELY on all fronts. Personally, socially, health, relationship etc. Additionally I work and hold a similar position that I had in the US and I can do it with virtually no stress and BS. I am more productive, work less hours and sleep well.

Relaxed in Thailand? Never!
-It started at 10 AM: I am in a Finnish Sauna, where is the "off switch"?
-Lunch time: How many days have the chicken wings been on the grill? Do I have some immodium tablets left at the room?
-Afternoon: Ordering a JD at the bar. Does not taste like JD at all. What am I drinking? Will I go blind?
-Having to cross 2nd street: Will I make it to the other side alive?
-Street cop looking at me: If he doesn't like my nose, how much will it cost me to neutralize any "trumpt-up charges"?
-At immigration: What new changes are now in effect, designed to make me feel so much more welcome in Thailand than the last time I was here?
-Evening: 77 beauties want "to take care of me". Can't make up my mind. Drives me crazy. (I am very sexy man, you must know!)
-On the way back to the room, I am flipping a coin: Will my internet connection be up or down?
Needless to say, I left Thailand as a nervous wreck. Cheers.
Caution: This post contains a slight portion of humor and sarcasm. Parental guidance is advised.

Relaxed in Thailand? Never!
-It started at 10 AM: I am in a Finnish Sauna, where is the "off switch"?
-Lunch time: How many days have the chicken wings been on the grill? Do I have some immodium tablets left at the room?
-Afternoon: Ordering a JD at the bar. Does not taste like JD at all. What am I drinking? Will I go blind?
-Having to cross 2nd street: Will I make it to the other side alive?
-Street cop looking at me: If he doesn't like my nose, how much will it cost me to neutralize any "trumpt-up charges"?
-At immigration: What new changes are now in effect, designed to make me feel so much more welcome in Thailand than the last time I was here?
-Evening: 77 beauties want "to take care of me". Can't make up my mind. Drives me crazy. (I am very sexy man, you must know!)
-On the way back to the room, I am flipping a coin: Will my internet connection be up or down?
Needless to say, I left Thailand as a nervous wreck. Cheers.
Caution: This post contains a slight portion of humor and sarcasm. Parental guidance is advised.

Yes it is but i think more to do with retiring than Thailand. Could cope with my workload and job with ease but amazing what stress all of the politics and pointless activities in the work environment caused.

Edited by rogeroc

5 hours ago, returnofthailand said:

first job I got, I was living in a nice hotel at 10k bahts a month. where can you get this in the USA.? I m someone who stress easily but since I m in Thailand I live much better. I don't have the same quality Like by example the bus I take are crap the thai train are crap, but for the price I pay I don't complain .

New trains enroute. Fingers crossed.

when you compare I can live with 300$ in Thailand, I have calculated in the USA for same life style I will need 3000$.

in the #1 country when you lose your job you are in the big dodo with no much safetynet. your savings in the USA will be gone in a few weeks resulting in a high stress level. you will probably finished by borrowing money and become a debt slave. this is what they want. let be honest, we are milk cows for the Rothschild and other bastards who run the big banks.

here in Thailand, one month work cover me for 1 year unemployed life style (room, scooter, food) . pretty much if your work 5 years in Thailand and make good money you can take your retirement, of course in the USA they don't want you to have a good life, they want you to pay and pay until you drop dead.

That is an absolute yes for me. Continuing to live in the USofA was not looking safe to me. The people over all ,at least where I am at in Issan , are very accepting and congenial to me and my wife , well I couldn't ask for a finer partner. I am surrounded by extended family ( make their own way ) and in all my travels meeting people , Thai and westerners , I couldn't be happier. I never want to go back. 

Word of warning , I don't want to hear from the trolls, I have a sharp tongue and if that doesn't work I would be happy to discuss in person.

Yes I am happy and content. Have a nice day.

A post discussing moderation has been removed.

And yes, I'm significantly happier and more relaxed here than I ever was in the West :)

I actually earn more and pay less tax than I did in the UK, I get to chose which jobs I take (and which I walk away from), and I have a lovely lady who dotes on me (ok, maybe the bank account) and looks after my every need :P

Do you believe someone is going to get on here and say they are not happy living in thailand, no they would not .

I happy yes to come and go , could never live here full time .

But if most man who move here are happy good on them .

Great place to come for a holiday and some fun , cheap to eat in restaurants and holiday  around thailand .

But if you want to live here remember one thing if not for your home country you would not be in thailand to day .

So the one's who want to knock there home country I have no time for them because they are  loses .

After 5 years here, I am more relaxed, more retired, off blood pressure meds for over 2 years now, lost 20 lbs from my wife's healthy Thai recipes, resumed jogging (since the last item equates to healthier knees), share gym time with my wife, who loves the quality of daily life it affords as much as I do, and we get to travel much more than we could living in the "home" country full time due to the cost of living here! There are certainly some things I miss, but nothing I can't live without. After 10 years of retirement I still occasionally wrestle with the restlessness that comes from not be productive. When it overwhelms, we head for her family farm where we are welcomed as laborers until I return to my senses!

56 minutes ago, georgemandm said:

Do you believe someone is going to get on here and say they are not happy living in thailand, no they would not .

I happy yes to come and go , could never live here full time .

But if most man who move here are happy good on them .

Great place to come for a holiday and some fun , cheap to eat in restaurants and holiday  around thailand .

But if you want to live here remember one thing if not for your home country you would not be in thailand to day .

So the one's who want to knock there home country I have no time for them because they are  loses .

You are at it again George, I don't like the last two sentences of your post, e.g. if it wasn't for our country (Australia) we wouldn't be here, sorry George, Australia has never been my country, it belongs to the indigenous people, the Aborigines, that is until Captain "bloody' Crook as my Greek/Cyprian father used to refer to him as, took it from them, yes history lesson George, yes we are Australian George, ok.

Australia got from me, and I got from from Australia, I am an Australian Citizen by birth, but do not think for one minute Australia has done me or others any favours, you have to work damn hard to survive in Australia. 

Australia has one of the highest tax rates in the world and is right up their when it comes to living expenses, no I am not referring to Melton in Melbourne, born and bred in Sydney from Greek/Cyprian parents George.

I suppose I better answer the question to the original post, YES I am much more happier and much more relaxed and less stressed in Thailand (Issan), because I don't have to put up with the draconian laws and bullshit back in Australia, I can relax by not wearing a seat belt, or picking up some speed without the fear of a red light/speed camera, radar, cop nabbing me, and the cost to raise a family in Sydney is ridiculous, unless you want to eat no names or no frills.

I recently sold a 3 bedroom 80 square metre (box) brick veneer villa in Bexley, 14 kilometres out of Sydney for $750,000, built a 6 bedroom 3 bathroom house of 300 plus square metres here of equal quality or better than in Australia for the price of one less ZERO at the end of the building cost in Australian dollars, e.g. 1.5m baht, we did very well, everything is so affordable here, it cost me to $400AUS to live here a week, try that in Sydney.

You have a different agenda George, travelling back and forth to Australia, and that's fine, Australia to me is done and dusted, any country, and Australia is about the only one that ditches its residence after 183 days with all there bullshit domicile test and makes them pay 32.5% cents in the $ tax if you earn an income from Australia, e.g. for not remaining in Australia, what the F is that, I should have the right to chose where I want to live without having to pay anything above what an Australian Citizen pays in tax, as long as I pay tax, and taking away my right to pay the Medicare Levy so that I can have access to Medicare, try getting health cover anywhere with per-existing conditions George, remember George, I am still an Australian Citizen, what the F does that mean, how does that benefit me, and I can kiss the old age pension OAP entitlements (conditional) by the way side, e.g unless I return for 2 years and prove that I intend to remain in Australia before being approved, it's plainly dishonest, we have all worked, we have all paid taxes, we are not unemployed or single mothers or have 4 wives (Sharia Law), 3 living in different addresses and getting benefits from Centrelink, and we had all been told that we would be getting a pension at 65, now 67, soon to be 70 no doubt, I didn't ask for it, but the carrot was dangled to us all, but the game plan has changed, cha-chin, more money back in the system for Centrelink ?

This could be why a lot of people remain Australian residents for tax purposes, I on the other hand (my choice) have gone the other way and have deiced to become a non resident for tax purposes, which means Australia gets nothing except 10% of any interest I earn from my current term deposits, and in less a year when they mature, Australia will get ZERO $ because the $ will be elsewhere with greater returns and no tax payable, its not a one street if you think outside the square George, imagine that, who is shafting who, chip on the old block, sure :) 

You should be directing your comments to all the scumbags on Centrelink, the dishonest ones who are fleecing it for what they can, (that is mine and other hard working peoples taxes) and the politicians who just keep wasting millions of $'s on refugees instead of taking care of their own, lets not forget their travel expense rorts, exorbitant dinners/lunches, pensions etc etc, seriously George, you should really think before you speak, don't take that as an insult, as non of the above is to be taken as a personal attack, I am just venting at your insensitivity, I owe Australia nothing, and Australia has snubbed me, because I chose to retire abroad, to have an affordable lifestyle, because it is none existent in Australia, put you million bucks in the bank George and live of the $540 a week, if you can.......please don't tell me that I shouldn't knock the country the country I was born in, last time I recall, there was a thing called freedom of speech ? 

Edited by 4MyEgo

sometimes happy, sometimes not, I am still weighing it all up.

Ok until you want something doing......then the trouble starts

Trying to survive on the roads on my Scooter (why do they call them motorcycles?)

Cant ride my bicycle due to regular dog attacks........I really dont want to keep a bloody great stick on my bike.

yes, the utilities are cheap, water cheap, accomodation cheap............but the girls drive me crazy at times.

I found out today that in their education system, they are not taught lateral thinking.........so this explains why i have to ask about ten questions to get an answer for a question that really is quite simple.......

glad i dont work here.......that would be impossible

lived in Spain for ten years before trying here.........been here a year and a half.........its fifty fifty at the moment for long term living........see how it goes after another year.....