Noisy frogs - fish predator?

Have a small pond , more of a water feature, only about 8 square meters of surface and 25cm deep. Before, it had some pretty big fish that ate every shred of vegetation and everything else except the mosquito eating fish. They succumbed to flooding, and now there are a lot of plants and many small fish. And frogs. The frogs are driving my neighbor crazy, and he came over and removed some (don't the English believe in private property?). Since he is a nice guy, and the frogs are pretty loud, I said he could continue to do that (I don't hear them much, but his bedroom window is 4 meters away). Is there some kind of fish that I could put in there that would eat all the tadpoles and tiny frogs that are left in the pond (hundreds)? The former fish shit so much that the pond needed to be cleaned all the time, so I am thinking to put in only one or two fish and hopefully still have some plants survive. Thanks for any suggestions. 

Doesn't sound like you want fish at all, just plants in a water feature. 

Let your neighbor keep removing the frogs until he's happy, but I would make him aware you want coordination first, just don't hop over and start rummaging around in your garden whenever it suits him. 

Leave the small fish in there, don't add any more.

The frogs in my front garden pond used to drive me crazy, then one night my wife and I were coming in the gate and we could hear them at it  again......."Your friends calling you".... my wife says to me. It was then I realized that their actual "croak" did sound very similar to my name, so now I look on them as friends welcoming me.... Works a treat, now I miss them seeing as they seem to have moved on to a new abode.

My advice for your neighbour......"Tell him to change his name"....555. (true story).

Why is that humans think they have the right to kill every species just for their own selfish desires and comfort???

I once moved next to a very busy railway line. For a week the noise drove me crazy then after that I didn't notice anymore.

5555 so dogs come second to frogs now!!! No doubt someone will soon have a horror story of being accosted on his bike by rogue frogs 555.

People need to realise animals of all kinds make noise after all the rain it's a frog choir all day everyday no problems soon get used to then. As for the neighbour popping over I would charge him as he is obviously selling or eating them.

If people don`t want frogs in their ponds or want to stop predictors like snakes, large birds or cats getting to the fish, than cover the pond with a fine net, like the ones pictured below.

These nets that can be cut to size are available at most hardware stores that are all over Thailand.

pond net 2.jpg

pond net 3.jpg

pond net.jpg

4 hours ago, Geoffsilverfox said:

My biggest problem in my pond was snakes.  They killed a lot of goldfish and Koi Carp.  Although my pond does not have any filtration, I do have a lot of plant, which I think helps to keep the water clear.  Now I am down to 10 Koi, and 6 goldfish.

gorgeous. well done sir

20 minutes ago, cyberfarang said:

If people don`t want frogs in their ponds or want to stop predictors like snakes, large birds or cats getting to the fish, than cover the pond with a fine net, like the ones pictured below.

These nets that can be cut to size are available at most hardware stores that are all over Thailand.

pond net 2.jpg

rather destroys the whole aesthetic point of a pond though doesnt it?

3 hours ago, Trentham said:

Why is that humans think they have the right to kill every species just for their own selfish desires and comfort???

I once moved next to a very busy railway line. For a week the noise drove me crazy then after that I didn't notice anymore.

Why is it that these frogs need to live in peoples back yards. They should go back to the ponds.

3 hours ago, Trentham said:

Well, it is sort of a big picnic out there - why do mosquitoes feel they have the right to my blood? I don't think they feel any moral qualms - and don't get me started on bacteria...

but I agree - if just noisy, most noises, I get used to quickly... we get a lot of frogs after a rain and it can be noisy but really no big deal and having lived in a place where frogs disappeared, I am sort of glad to hear them thriving. 

We have several water features on our property, one of which has carp and two have the mosquitoe eating fish, but they seem to be quite happy to co-habitat with the frogs, which I suspect are toads!  We had an albino frog (toad) who would change his residence around the three water features.  I found him/her to be quite fascinating, probably because s/he was fairly unique.  Sadly the children of some of our Guests either frightened him off or disposed of him - bit sad as we missed seeing him/her around.  Personally I enjoy the sound of singing (croaking) frogs as it remind me that I am living in this lovely diverse country with it's equally diverse creatures to enhance the experience.  Sorry, have to sign off as my throat is beginning to get a bit sore - croak, croak!

3 hours ago, HooHaa said:

rather destroys the whole aesthetic point of a pond though doesnt it?

No it doesn`t. These nets are a dark grey colour and blend into the environment perfectly hardly noticeable. They do not obscure the view of the fish whatsoever.

Frogs are good for the environment and many are becoming endangered species. Sometimes they can jump into deep ponds with no means of escape and drown. The net also helps stop fish from jumping out of ponds that can often be fatal for fish if they land on a bank or elsewhere in a garden.

Any responsible people who care about wildlife and the safety of their pond fish will have overlaid their ponds with these nets.

islandguy wanted a solution to his pond problem and here it is.

8 hours ago, steelepulse said:

So are there any fish that eat frog eggs and tadpoles? 

Yes indeed, around June and July when the legs are just beginning to appear, luuk aud, are a seasonal delicacy in the rural areas often used in a curry, keng, or made into a chili paste, naam phrik.  Very easy to scoop up with a net.  You will also cut down on the snake population as few of the tadpoles are destined for adult froghood.

8 hours ago, Johpa said:

Yes indeed, around June and July when the legs are just beginning to appear, luuk aud, are a seasonal delicacy in the rural areas often used in a curry, keng, or made into a chili paste, naam phrik.  Very easy to scoop up with a net.  You will also cut down on the snake population as few of the tadpoles are destined for adult froghood.

Now I know why Nam Prik tastes so vile - it's ground pollywog!

When I lived in a house with my bedroom window right next to the pond I used to go out at 03:00 in my underwear and a flashlight, catch them and toss them over the fence to the neighbor's yard.  Eventually I moved and now my  bedroom is on the second floor and they don't bother me so much but if especially loud I will go catch them and throw them into my neighbor's swimming pool.  No one has lived there for three years and the frogs bother no one.  Now and then if I get some particularly noisy bull frogs I will toss them into my other neighbor's yard.  He has dogs that bark, cry and whine all day and all night.  He has brushed off my and other neighbors complaints by saying I am a farang and he is Thai and therefore he can do any damn thing he wants.  Hope he likes croaking bullfrogs.

11 hours ago, Johpa said:

Sorry, I'm not rural nor do I want people coming and scooping these out from my koi pond.  Back on topic, there is nothing to eat these guys. Frogs seem to love the koi pond and these are the extremely loud frogs that have a sound like a high pitched scream.

1 hour ago, williet98248 said:

When I lived in a house with my bedroom window right next to the pond I used to go out at 03:00 in my underwear and a flashlight, catch them and toss them over the fence to the neighbor's yard.  Eventually I moved and now my  bedroom is on the second floor and they don't bother me so much but if especially loud I will go catch them and throw them into my neighbor's swimming pool.  No one has lived there for three years and the frogs bother no one.  Now and then if I get some particularly noisy bull frogs I will toss them into my other neighbor's yard.  He has dogs that bark, cry and whine all day and all night.  He has brushed off my and other neighbors complaints by saying I am a farang and he is Thai and therefore he can do any damn thing he wants.  Hope he likes croaking bullfrogs.

I expect it won't cause him any sleepless nights. We have loads around us never bothers us at all. I can see why your neighbour says what he does.

Archived