How to overcome Ubantu

Gibbs2

5 hours ago, Gibbs2 said:

Thanks Crossy but it will not let me do this, tried already

Exactly what does it say when it "won't let you do it"?

Have you entered the BIOS?

Are you using a CD/DVD or a USB with Windows on it?

Seems odd that its "locked". Im assuming you have fiddled around with the boot order  (rather than "boot from") already so it boots from cd first.

Is USB also "locked"?

"Its locked" doesn't really explain much. If you had a screenshot or pic it might help.

I used to use ubuntu occasionally but only ever direct from cd. 

Off the top off my head deleting partitions or installing windows from inside ubuntu is maybe other ideas worth looking into.

Have you run 'update' for Ubuntu? It may well pick up the drivers for the things that don't work. If so and it still doesn't work you could download the newest version of Ubuntu and install that or as below.

I assume you have the Windows 7 disc. If all else fails download "dban" and burn the ISO file to disk (make a boot able disk from the ISO file). Change the boot order to DVD drive and reboot.

It takes time but at the end you will have a completely wiped drive.

Insert the windows CD and reboot with the drive as the first priority.

Should have no problems

Edited by gandalf12

Newer machines have a hard time with an OS as old as win7. Make sure you enable legacy settings in the BIOS, and be prepared for hours of googling as you try to find Windows 7 drivers. Some of the newer hardware doesn't even HAVE drivers that old. You might just get a copy of 8.1 or 10 (once you figure out how to boot from CD or USB.

looks like a trip to a shop for you,  a usb stick with windows on should work, ( maybe with a bit of messing around with setting ec.) what bios is on the computer.

have you formatted the hard disk

windows 7 may be too old for a new computer

Edited by steve187

From a computer challenger user, I suggest that you save yourself a lot of grief - and take the Dell to a reliable computer service shop (preferably the Dell dealer you bought from).

Couple of questions: did you buy  it new, or was it ''refurbished'' ?

Is the Win7 disk a genuine copy (where did you buy it from and was it in an sealed box).?

What model Dell did you buy?.

This is a wild guess, but a Dell with an older motherboard may have problems loading Win7. (a even wilder thought is based on an experience I just went through - I had a new motherboard installed and the shop forgot to set the BIOS to ''Win 7 enabled'' status). If you are going to throw it away - donate it to your local school.

On 17/09/2016 at 7:14 AM, Gibbs2 said:

I go to the bios and change the boot and it says I cannot boot from cd as it is locked

If this is correct, the problem is nothing at all to do with Ubuntu - it's a BIOS issue.

Assuming this is genuine, new Dell PC, one possibility is that Dell has locked the drive to prevent people installing pirated versions of Windows.

There are a few posts elsewhere that suggest that Dell does sometimes prevent booting from CD through BIOS.

Anyway, the obvious thing to do would be to contact Dell and ask them how to boot from CD with your particular model of laptop.

You could also search the web for CD-related problems with your particular version of BIOS.  That may throw some light on matters.