Thai Health Ministry mulls actions against those who have mosquito breeding grounds

webfact

Health ministry mulls actions against those who have mosquito breeding grounds

1409011-wpcf_728x409.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The Ministry of Public Health is checking health-related laws and regulations to ascertain whether penalties can be taken against house-owners who, through negligence, allow mosquito breeding grounds to exist in their houses or house compounds.

Public Health Minister Piyasakol Sakolsattayathorn said Wednesday that health officials in all provinces had been told to inform members of the public to do three things: to keep their house in order and tidy; to collect garbage and to get rid of breeding grounds for mosquitos.

Mosquitos, he said, are carriers of three diseases namely dengue, Zika and Chikungunya.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/health-ministry-mulls-actions-mosquito-breeding-grounds/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2016-09-15

I like how they carefully use the word "mulls".  Looking that word up in the Thai dictionary reveals further insight into its meaning in Thailand . . . 

Well I had an image of an ostrich with its head in the sand but this $%$#$ new format makes it impossible to load images! ! ! ! 

Edited by Smiley Face

They're only "mulling" the idea.....the penny will drop today when they realise how inane their idea is.......

Obviously, someone in the ministry of funny ideas read a newspaper from Singapore....

Edited by ChrisY1

When my daughter got dengue, the local CDC group came to our house and used foggers to try to kill off the mosquitoes in the area. They also gave out some special sand to add to any still water as well as gave us some mosquito repellent. They had their own pickup for travelling around and dealing with situations when know cases were found. They came right away which was impressive for Thailand. IN the past, they had a program to go around the rural villages in our area posting a paper on the house which was used to write down dates of treatment or checks for mosquitoes. Those papers pretty much disappeared after about two or three visits to the village.

Anyways, my point is the Thai CDC or whatever it's called is well established and does take action and has people way out in the rural areas. I doubt the present plan will be for all places but rather places with known cases . If they go to a house and complain about water sources that need to be addressed the owner of the property should take action instead of being a lazy ass. When they come back to check, they will be able to see the evidence of inaction.  To some extent this might work especially if others in the area get the disease and the blame can at least be suggested that it might have to do with their neighbor.

2 hours ago, Smiley Face said:

I like how they carefully use the word "mulls".  Looking that word up in the Thai dictionary reveals further insight into its meaning in Thailand . . . 

Well I had an image of an ostrich with its head in the sand but this $%$#$ new format makes it impossible to load images! ! ! ! 

Osterich.jpg

Smiley Face - Will this do?

Actually, I think Smiley Face is not too far off the money when it comes to heads in the sand!.

These "turkey's" only need to take a quick look around BKK at all the undeveloped vacant land if they want to see examples of recalcitrants allowing mosquito breeding grounds to exist!

vacant land.jpg

Question.. I have heard of tablets that can be put in stagnant water (like jugs) so the larvae of the mosquito die. Does anyone know where to get those in Thailand and how they are called ect ? Got a neighbor with nice big clay pots full with water and plants in front of his house (next to mine) and would like to dump some of those tablets in to kill some mosquito's

2 hours ago, Alive said:

When my daughter got dengue, the local CDC group came to our house and used foggers to try to kill off the mosquitoes in the area. They also gave out some special sand to add to any still water as well as gave us some mosquito repellent. They had their own pickup for travelling around and dealing with situations when know cases were found. They came right away which was impressive for Thailand. IN the past, they had a program to go around the rural villages in our area posting a paper on the house which was used to write down dates of treatment or checks for mosquitoes. Those papers pretty much disappeared after about two or three visits to the village.

Anyways, my point is the Thai CDC or whatever it's called is well established and does take action and has people way out in the rural areas. I doubt the present plan will be for all places but rather places with known cases . If they go to a house and complain about water sources that need to be addressed the owner of the property should take action instead of being a lazy ass. When they come back to check, they will be able to see the evidence of inaction.  To some extent this might work especially if others in the area get the disease and the blame can at least be suggested that it might have to do with their neighbor.

Sorry about your daughter. They reacted to your problem. Not Proactive.

Most Thai people will sit outside or leave windows open at night. Standing water in flower pots etc.

5 hours ago, robblok said:

Question.. I have heard of tablets that can be put in stagnant water (like jugs) so the larvae of the mosquito die. Does anyone know where to get those in Thailand and how they are called ect ? Got a neighbor with nice big clay pots full with water and plants in front of his house (next to mine) and would like to dump some of those tablets in to kill some mosquito's

A drop of washing up liquid worksor diesel if you don't like him. It takes away the surface tension of the water and the eggs sink. 

9 minutes ago, nakhonandy said:

A drop of washing up liquid worksor diesel if you don't like him. It takes away the surface tension of the water and the eggs sink. 

Thanks for the tip.. I dont like the guy but I would not start something over it.  I was just trying to find a way to get rid of the mosquitos without causing a conflict over it. If this is all what is needed then its a quick and easy fix.