Foreigners arrested in raid on Nana 'Ethiopian Restaurant'

snoop1130

26 minutes ago, Jools said:

Belligerant and self-important because I presented my passport card and was told that it wasn't enough? I ALWAYS defer to Thai cretins in authority. Anything less is asking for trouble. The bottom line is that you and others will defend the Thai insanity regardless of the damage it causes to people who contribute to the tax base and obey the law.

Maybe it was your response to being told it wasn't enough that resulted in your being taken to the station for "questioning".

I don't know how you "contribute to the tax base" but, if you do by way of work, it's still a bit of a stretch to claim that you're being "persecuted" or being subjected to "abuse".

I'm not defending anything - I just don't see how what you're whinging about represents persecution.

As I said before, I live in a part of Bangkok where police stops are commonplace and in all the 8 years I've been here, a copy of my passport with the entry stamp has been accepted without question

Edited by Agent Sumo

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, Wilsonandson said:

The raid on camera!
Just found this on youtube.

They showed the outside of the building i know where it is. I don't visit nana often but i know where it is.

Here let me be the first one to actually screenshot the freaking EXACT location and upload it

29112024504_c7ec3914a9_b.jpg

Also the stupid english site is wrong the freaking complex or rather the main shop in that complex with the big sign that i found just by checking out google street is onchira BAGS not backs. So the 2nd ethiphian restaurant isn't near the hospitial but just opposite nana plaza

29114262823_5988e6e794_b.jpg

http://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/crimecourtscalamity/crime-crime/2016/09/16/1464777303/

I doubt the building is called onchira fashion bags when the words ROYAL TAILORS is even larger on the side of the building.

29 minutes ago, Agent Sumo said:

Maybe it was your response to being told it wasn't enough that resulted in your being taken to the station for "questioning".

I don't know how you "contribute to the tax base" but, if you do by way of work, it's still a bit of a stretch to claim that you're being "persecuted" or being subjected to "abuse".

I'm not defending anything - I just don't see how what you're whinging about represents persecution.

As I said before, I live in a part of Bangkok where police stops are commonplace and in all the 8 years I've been here, a copy of my passport with the entry stamp has been accepted without question

It's quite simple....it's called GET OUT OF MY LIFE!!!!! I was issued a visa for one year and told it was unnecessary to carry my passport. I carried a COPY to make sure that I had documentation. The police told me that I needed my original passport and detained me for a number of hours before releasing me. The fact that I was not fined or jailed is immaterial. The police DO NOT know the law.....and do not care. They are constantly cruising for bribes. This is indefensible, despite your idea that "this is Asia", so just accept it. You either have law.....or you do not. There is no middle ground. Which is it??

Edited by Jools

The report is pretty bad but what even worse none of the posters here who are currently in thailand know about this place.

Just by using google street view and zooming into the sign boards onchira bags isn't the name of the building obviously but just a store located on the 4th floor of that building. There is a habesha ehtohpian resturant too on the signboards. Royal tailors is obviously a store in that building but with the largest wording on the side of the building. On google map the building is called gulati bespoke tailoring which is obviously just a store inside the building. One major building opposite nana plaza and there is no name for the building even the news site got it wrong by naming the building after a tenant inside the building.

3 minutes ago, Jools said:

It's quite simple....it's called GET OUT OF MY LIFE!!!!! I was issues a visa for one year and told it was unnecessary to carry my passport. I carried a COPY to make sure that I had documentation. The police told me that I needed my original passport and detained me for a number of hours before releasing me. The fact that I was not fined or jailed is immaterial. The police DO NOT know the law.....and do not care. They are constantly cruising for bribes. This is indefensible, despite your idea that "this is Asia", so just accept it. You either have law.....or you do not. There is no middle ground. Which is it??

Law or no law, black or white . . . as I said before, there are only shades of grey

Whether or not you like it, it is what it is. You can either choose to live with it or book a flight.

My experience has been different to yours but even if I had been asked to produce the original passport, it would represent nothing more than an irritating inconvenience.

I certainly wouldn't call it persecution or abuse

No, YOU wouldn't call it ANYTHING.........UNTIL you have been subjected to it. It is abuse....it is persecution based on race and it is WRONG. Your idea that we can conform or leave is just disgusting. It reminds me of Soviet Russia....or some of the American "patriots" who support Donald Trump. "We are ALWAYS right.....love it or leave it."

1 minute ago, Jools said:

No, YOU wouldn't call it ANYTHING.........UNTIL you have been subjected to it. It is abuse....it is persecution based on race and it is WRONG. Your idea that we can conform or leave is just disgusting. It reminds me of Soviet Russia....or some of the American "patriots" who support Donald Trump. "We are ALWAYS right.....love it or leave it."

Wait this is interesting you say it is persecution based on race so i would assume you aren't asian or even farang but black?

Therefore suffice to say were an asian foreigner or rather one that looks like a thai not have his passport he would not be detained like you for a number of hours. That;s how racism works. If he was detained as long as you not racist but if not then maybe you have grounds to complain of racism.

2 minutes ago, Jools said:

White and very aware of Thai discrimination against farangs. You can deny it all you like but it is a fact of life here in Thailand. The lowest Thai is superior to the best of the breed among farangs.

cos you were detained for a number of hours because you did not bring along your passport but just a copy. Hmmm i wonder if that happens to non farangs in farang countries. Possibly it does.

Oh well no big deal. Non farang to farang racism is detention due to mistake made by farang for a few hours.

farang to non farang racism is violence and death so you got off pretty good.

I"ve had bars here and have been raided several times,and my copies (passport) has always been 

accepted, but the raids where always about money , as I was paying already to a higher BIB

I always argued, any way back to the topic,it would take to long to explain,my first comment

holds true,in my 8 years here I"ve had enough legal issues to fill a book.............

On September 16, 2016 at 10:26 PM, Wilsonandson said:

So the law in Thailand now is that you need to carry your passport around with you at all times or this will happen to you. (See photo of today's cafe raid).

Xenophobia is reaching new heights in Happy land.

1474039598422.jpg

No but you need copies in your wallet and thats no secret, same for foreigners in most other countries, you won't get a fine but it will inconvenience the hell out of you when they take you to your hotel to see your passport.

3 hours ago, Jools said:

It's quite simple....it's called GET OUT OF MY LIFE!!!!! I was issued a visa for one year and told it was unnecessary to carry my passport. I carried a COPY to make sure that I had documentation. The police told me that I needed my original passport and detained me for a number of hours before releasing me. The fact that I was not fined or jailed is immaterial. The police DO NOT know the law.....and do not care. They are constantly cruising for bribes. This is indefensible, despite your idea that "this is Asia", so just accept it. You either have law.....or you do not. There is no middle ground. Which is it??

Asia is a big place with many different countries and cultures.

13 hours ago, maoro2013 said:

Yes We Do Not Have To Carry A PASSPORT Everywhere.  Like I said this forum has repeat agreed with this.

If you don't agree please give us your source. I would be interested to know.

Why are you arguing about this it has been out there for a time and the issue is actually moot. 

Er! I'm neither arguing nor disagreeing. I was asking you for your sources because I've heard so much misinformation in here that I generally believe very little. TVF is not such a reliable source of information.

If the issue is 'moot', as you say, why is there so much discussion of the matter in this forum?

I don't spend half my life in here, as so many others seem to do. I usually just come in to read some of the news articles, but I make the mistake of scrolling down to the comments.

If the Thailand government, and police, and military forces can give me 100 percent guarantee that

my passport will not be stolen, when I am in that country, then I may carry it on my person, but I suspect that

pigs will be flying all over the place before that can happen. For now I will get the color photo copy and my visa copied

and carry them with my International drivers license, as so far I have had no problems with doing this method.

Geezer

20 hours ago, bubba said:

I am wondering who the blonde, apparently Caucasian woman is in the photo who appears to be part of the police contingent?

What makes you think she's caucasian, thai women also colour their hair.

17 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Again, this ridiculous and foul expectation that foreigners are to carry their passports at all time. It is beyond inane. Who is going to take that kind of risk? A color copy is adequate. Carry a copy of your passport main page, plus the visa page. Top brass from immigration have stated publicly that is adequate. I would call out any police officer who did not accept that. NEVER, ever carry your original passport, unless you are traveling to the airport, cashing some travelers checks, or have specific reason to do so. 

Many  countries don't  require you to carry your passport, though it would be advisable to carry some form of ID. Thailands policy is plain crazy, but craziness is what we expect.

3 hours ago, Rorri said:

Many  countries don't  require you to carry your passport, though it would be advisable to carry some form of ID. Thailands policy is plain crazy, but craziness is what we expect.

It is a churlish, xenophobic, nationalistic, inane, unreasonable, petty, completely lacking in any sort of comprehension or understanding, unnecessary, and petulant policy. But, from what I understand it is NOT a policy. The top brass at immigration have been interviewed and have specifically stated a color copy of the main page, and the visa page is perfectly adequate. That is all I will EVER carry, unless I am flying out of the country, or visiting immigration. And it seems to be enough. Of course I also have a Thai drivers license, and that seems to be accepted just about anywhere. 

On 9/16/2016 at 10:26 PM, Wilsonandson said:

So the law in Thailand now is that you need to carry your passport around with you at all times or this will happen to you. (See photo of today's cafe raid).

Xenophobia is reaching new heights in Happy land.

1474039598422.jpg

Nothing unique to here. Police everywhere are authorized to change requirements as they go along. Should you not know, just ask  one.  

On 17/09/2016 at 3:23 AM, gk10002000 said:

as far as carrying the passport around, there have been numerous posts on Thai Visa.  The official rule and law is still unclear.  Most believe that carrying color photocopy of the ID page and the current visa stamp page are sufficient.  But I have heard of cases where the police still drag you down to the station.  If traveling alone, I don't know what else one could do.  There is nobody I could send to go to my hotel room safe and fetch my passport for the police to see.  Or maybe the police will go with you to your hotel at their leisure which might take some hours or days before they get around to it while you languish in the jail? 

Come on Thailand, make a universal statement on what is sufficient for tourists to do.  Most tourists would never want to carry their passport around with them at all times, and locking it up in the hotel safe is the best thing to do.  Carry copy for sure

Ok, here's an official statement, it's a requirement of all visitors to any country to carry their passports at all times, not just Thailand.

25 minutes ago, Wazza1 said:

Ok, here's an official statement, it's a requirement of all visitors to any country to carry their passports at all times, not just Thailand.

stop being silly.  This is  a very relevant and important issue in Thailand because many officials are handling it differently, and it is rarely a good idea to have the passport on you in every day activities.  It is too easy to lose, get stolen.  Going to the beach and leaving it on the beach chair, never mind a more aggressive robbery.

5 hours ago, Jools said:

Let me break it down for you in nice little pieces so you can understand. ANY retiree contributes to the tax base since sales are taxed here just as they are in other countries. Anything you buy is taxable. The fees you pay for visas and extensions are part of the tax base. We do not live here free of charge, despite the propaganda generated by the farang-hating junta.

You're sounding more foolish with each post

Everyone who buys anything in the country contributes to the tax base - Thai or non-Thai - that has no bearing on the issue of a farang carrying a passport versus not carrying one.

Farangs working here and paying more in income tax than most Thais earn in a whole year can live with these grey areas because the pros of living here still easily outweigh the cons but you think your age or your piddly pension makes you a member of some sort of elite club and that you should be allowed to saunter through life here with your nose in the air, never having to be bothered by officialdom.

Sorry, but it doesn't

If you feel you're so persecuted here, pi$$ off somewhere else. There's plenty of countries in Asia where the rules regarding the carrying of ID are more to your liking

16 hours ago, Jools said:

Think of it as getting a free ride to the police station, you got a result, you won.

On 9/17/2016 at 0:30 PM, spidermike007 said:

Again, this ridiculous and foul expectation that foreigners are to carry their passports at all time. It is beyond inane. Who is going to take that kind of risk? A color copy is adequate. Carry a copy of your passport main page, plus the visa page. Top brass from immigration have stated publicly that is adequate. I would call out any police officer who did not accept that. NEVER, ever carry your original passport, unless you are traveling to the airport, cashing some travelers checks, or have specific reason to do so. 

Agree. One of the key lines in almost every one of these reports about people being detained because they didn't have passports is that they don't specify if anyone was carrying a copy.

Or have i missed that? If somebody was stopped in suspicious circumstances (or not as many of these raids indicate) and they were not in possession of any visual identification, then yes, IMO, there would be grounds for further investigation by the police.

But i have never seen people with copies stated as being detained.