How are you using Kodi?

bek

I have been trying for some time to get Kodi up and running on a Minix Neo X8 android box, but I find it very frustrating.

I have tried several builds and tried to configure the various addons myself, but I always end up finding it too much of a hassle. Basically I am getting a lot of dead servers, buffering on (low picture quality) live sport and what not. I have read and heard so many good things about using Kodi, so I guess I am doing it wrong.

What's the secret - how do you use Kodi? Any recommended builds?

I'm on a 50/10 AIS line, I guess that should be ok, even with the international throttling of the connections?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have the exact same problem with the exact same device. Im on 3BB 50/10. 

I used the standard build on tvaddons and added a few things but I can not for the life of me figure out how to narrow down the available streams. I want to see the GOOD quality streams but there is no way to tell so I have to sit there clicking and waiting and buffering.... Ive pretty much given up on the Kodi part. I download torrents and have a logitech USB keyboard. Wife watches her shows on youtube from the couch with the keyboard and I have my External HDD plugged in and watch stuff with the VLC App from google play. I could have done all that with my laptop. 

I then went and got the ilikehdtv app from the google play store and was watching that. It has since went to sh*t buffering all the time. If its not buffering then the image is crummy and pixelated. Sometimes the app crashes and won't open back up even when I hit the task killer 400 times. Have to restart the whole thing. 

So yeah good topic and I want to know what I'm doing wrong also. 

Can try the exodus add-on for series and movies. I get reasonable results and can normally watch in 720p. I have TOT 20/10. For live tv Kodi is not great. I use hdtv for 30baht/2 hours when the football is on. There's a app called mobdro which has reasonable streams but not great quality.

MIne runs like a charm….i learnt from experience not to instal other peoples builds….youre at their mercy for updates and whatnot.

All you need is the tv add-on repository to begin with….as you instal adding the other repositories that supper them will automatically be installed.

Less is more.

For movies and tv shows, all you need are Exodus, SALTS, Ice Films, 1 Channel, Alluc and The Royal We….between them these will access any damn movie or tv show ever made and stored online.

LIve TV that is reliable and consistent working is not possible on Kodi…unless you buy a Stalker subscription for $80 a year. All you will get through free add ons is broken links and buffering.

For TV consider downloading other apps on your Minix…Mobdro, Filmon TV, Torrent Stream Controller etc.

Kodi must be cleaned and maintained once a week….clear all caches, artwork, packages etc…..use the maintenance tool on tvaddons or the one from noobsandnerds for this.

Kodi is not plug and play…..so do not expect Apple levels of intuitiveness…..but if you're willing to learn, read up on forums and google your issues, every answer you need is on youtube or the Kodi forums.

So far Kodi has worked great for me Im hooked on it...

Has saved me lots of money as now I can watch most of my sports shows I used to go to the Bar to watch and $$$$$$ spent...Now all free on the couch..

No android box in use just windows lap top with HDMI to tv works great for sports past tv episodes  movies and world news...

For live tv just have to bounce around a bit and find good links

Best advise I have seen has already been added

..Dont forget KODI is free so dont get disapointed with broken links

Plenty of good links out there..

Keep it simple use the entry leval add ons and expand from there...

Do not use Large Builds as loaded with un necessary stuff skins Etc..

Decide upon a handful of add ons that work for you dont overbuild your Kodi..

Also do not be afraid to use the fresh start option to erase your current Kodi and start from scratch...Good option sometimes.

need any advise on add on etc feel free to pm me Have alot of info to share

cheers

I will try and keep it as simple as possible, without using a build.

Right now my immediate need is to watch the Formula 1 Singapore Grand Prix - which addon would be good for that?

I use it mainly for movies/tv shows so cant recommend any sports addons, there are a couple of forums that always list the current best addons. Exodus, SALTS, Phoenix etc,  I use the client server part of it for my own movies, movies live on an old laptop (Kodi server) and android box or smart TV , tablet (Kodi Client), watch movies on any screen in the house. Set up to go and get Thai subs when any movie is played. As others have said, its a learning curve, but when you get it all working its great.

As for streaming and buffering issues, I find a slow TOT connection streams content better than a fast  True connection. All to do with their links to the outside world. 

Personally I think the new Duggz (all rounder) build which is on the Ares Wizard is the best out there at present.  Good quality HD Streams from a local proxy.  In BKK these work a dream providing you have a decent internet connection. In Pattaya you get the occasional buffering but its still watchable for live streams. Not sure on the other parts of the country.  FilmON free apk. has updated its streams and they are much better picture quality than before.  

As previously stated BBC Iplayer works a dream on kodi. ITV player also if using a VPN. Hola is a free VPN and works very well with this.

I have never had any issues with IlikeHD.  If having snags trying to watch the British Channels try change the server to Europe and that 'should' solve buffering issues.

Anybody experiencing issues please drop me a PM I will be more than happy to guide you through the process of getting your box up and running.

59 minutes ago, bek said:

I will try and keep it as simple as possible, without using a build.

Right now my immediate need is to watch the Formula 1 Singapore Grand Prix - which addon would be good for that?

If you require a seamless stream I recommend using IlikeHD TV.  If its only the GP you can pay 50 baht for three hours.  Or 250 baht for 30 days.

SKY have there own F1 channel which will show all the coverage.

However if you want to give it a go try installing the ARES wizard (link for instructions below)
https://seo-michael.co.uk/tutorial-how-to-install-ares-wizard-kodi/

Then install Duggz build. As I have already said the 'all rounder' build works great.

I have just installed iLikehdtv on my android box, and bought 30 days of the smaller sport package. There's a few moments of buffering, but the quality is decent (but not HD) and it's far more simple than chasing dead links in Sportsdevil or Phoenix. How do you change to a European server? When logging in, I only saw the options Auto and server1/2/3.

I will try and give Kodi another try. I will have to do it in small steps though, as I'm basically an Apple guy, and Android/Kodi sometimes gets me frustrated ;)

From an Android box:  

1. Log in to IlikeHD.

2. Click on the icon that resembles a human.

3. Click settings

4. Select ISP.

5. Change accordingly.

From a PC:

1. Log in to IlikeHD

2. Select the channel you require to watch.

3. Once selected at the bottom of the TV picture you will be able to select the required settings. 

11 hours ago, BaldPlumber said:

For Brits, the BBC iPlayer add-on works in kodi by using the built-in proxy server. No VPN required.

I cant access anything with this add-on…it says available only to those in the UK….how does one access this built-in proxy server?

Is it in the add-on settings?

From an Android box:  

1. Log in to IlikeHD.

2. Click on the icon that resembles a human.

3. Click settings

4. Select ISP.

5. Change accordingly.

From a PC:

1. Log in to IlikeHD

2. Select the channel you require to watch.

3. Once selected at the bottom of the TV picture you will be able to select the required settings. 

That seems to make it better, thanks

Agree with above : Kodi is good for movies and TV already transmitted/released and stored online.

For live TV by and large useless, frustrating and unreliable.

If you want to just click on a channel and watch it without faffing around with suddenly non-working addons and streams and endless stuttering and buffering, the only way is to pay for a subscription to a service, and if you have to do that, why bother with Kodi?

19 hours ago, JHolmesJr said:

MIne runs like a charm….i learnt from experience not to instal other peoples builds….youre at their mercy for updates and whatnot.

All you need is the tv add-on repository to begin with….as you instal adding the other repositories that supper them will automatically be installed.

Less is more.

For movies and tv shows, all you need are Exodus, SALTS, Ice Films, 1 Channel, Alluc and The Royal We….between them these will access any damn movie or tv show ever made and stored online.

LIve TV that is reliable and consistent working is not possible on Kodi…unless you buy a Stalker subscription for $80 a year. All you will get through free add ons is broken links and buffering.

For TV consider downloading other apps on your Minix…Mobdro, Filmon TV, Torrent Stream Controller etc.

Kodi must be cleaned and maintained once a week….clear all caches, artwork, packages etc…..use the maintenance tool on tvaddons or the one from noobsandnerds for this.

Kodi is not plug and play…..so do not expect Apple levels of intuitiveness…..but if you're willing to learn, read up on forums and google your issues, every answer you need is on youtube or the Kodi forums.

Just turned it on and gave it another try just to make sure I'm not missing something in the settings. 

1 Channel - You pick a movie like Iron Man. Its been out forever, released on bluray. Click the icon for the movie and a window opens up asking you to choose a stream. There is no way to tell if its a CAM, if its dubbed in Korean, If its SD, HD, Bluray. Only thing I see is a web address, and number of views and maybe something like [DVD]. Even if you go on the number of views its completely random. Click on the most viewed stream - broken link, massive korean subs, SD quality etc. 

This is what frustrates me because by the time I find something watchable, I could have downloaded a 1080p version with 5.1 audio and been doing something else instead of sitting in front of the TV randomly clicking streams and hoping one of them will work.

I understand how the thing works and I know its not an apple product. But damn man is there a box I'm not ticking or something? 

4 hours ago, Strange said:

1 Channel - You pick a movie like Iron Man. Its been out forever, released on bluray. Click the icon for the movie and a window opens up asking you to choose a stream. There is no way to tell if its a CAM, if its dubbed in Korean, If its SD, HD, Bluray. Only thing I see is a web address, and number of views and maybe something like [DVD]. Even if you go on the number of views its completely random. Click on the most viewed stream - broken link, massive korean subs, SD quality etc. 

Ive never got a dud link on 1Channel…favourite links are streaming.to, video.me, vidzi.tv, vidbull….over time you'll settle with what works for you.

The beauty of the system is if 1Channel disappoints you, use Exodus, if that pisses you off use The Royal We or Ice Films….be a butterfly on Kodi..it pays dividends.

BTW Ive found Icefilms has good quality HD links….via Upload and UploadX…avoid ClicknUpload…it only works with the latest experimental version of Kodi, Krypton.

Regarding the problems you're having, a lot depends on where you are and your connection…Ice Films won't work well in the UK…so get on the forums and make some pointed google searches….there will likely be scores of people with the same problem as you and someone will have an answer. Thats' how I get my issues sorted.

Edited by JHolmesJr

What's the secret - how do you use Kodi? Any recommended builds?

What sorts of things are you looking for?

I've been running Kodi on my AIS Playbox, admittedly a budget Android box, and on my Android phone, Android tablet and PC. I was mainly looking for American football (pre-season, NFL Network, regular season, replays) to supplement TrueVisions, but now use it for streaming full HD content (1080p), mostly new movies and TV shows which I'm too lazy to torrent. It's so simple to just sit down, browse/search and stream in 1080p. All works fine on my AIS 50/10 fiber service. I plan to get a much better Android box (H 96 Pro) on a trip back to the U.S. at Christmas, but for now this box works fine; Im using 700 MB RAM at most, no buffering.

Dead links are just part of the game; it's a bit like amateur radio, you have to stay on top of new developments.

Follow some developers on Twitter, subscribe to some developers on YouTube. I am running one build on my tablet, but otherwise just load, and delete, Video Add-ons based on Twitter/Youtube reviews.

I've been using kodi for about 3 years now, on a decent quality minix Android tv box with a good air mouse.

I agree with others who caution against pre-built builds and really they're not necessary at all.

Start with a clean install and get exodus, SALTS, YouTube, iPlayer and specto fork installed and you're good for TV series and movies. Put cCloud in and you've got live TV. Not sure how good this is as I only use it for sky news, which is also available in HD via YouTube.

Install some thai fonts and a couple of subtitle services and you've got a pretty good system for free.

If you've got a collection of music and video, you've also got the option of putting the disks into a cheap network server and you can let kodi manage the lot.

I'm using TOT @ 10mbps and their service seems to have improved quite a bit in the last year or so. So much so that it's very unusual to get any buffing.

For anyone thinking of buying a box to run kodi on, do some research as it seems that a lot of these boxes might become obsolete at some point in the (near) future. From what I understand, future versions of kodi and/or its add-ons might require hardware features that these older boxes won't have.

19 hours ago, JHolmesJr said:
On 17/09/2016 at 4:13 AM, BaldPlumber said:

For Brits, the BBC iPlayer add-on works in kodi by using the built-in proxy server. No VPN required.

I cant access anything with this add-on…it says available only to those in the UK….how does one access this built-in proxy server?

Is it in the add-on settings?

There are two addons, perhaps if you use latest ver 0.2.7 by Mikey1234 you can see the proxy in the settings and it works. I've been using it a few years so the addon gets updated.

On 16/09/2016 at 10:55 PM, JHolmesJr said:

unless you buy a Stalker subscription for $80 a year

There's more options than this. Check out a poll of paid addons, Stalker only gets <2% of vote.

http://www.toptutorials.co.uk/the-best-paid-addonsubscription/?yop_poll_answer[5][]=179&yop_poll_captcha_input[5]=mrAGu4&yop_poll_tr_id=&yop-poll-nonce-5_yp57ce1dbbbce92=2647c69a59

3 hours ago, Digitalbanana said:

There are two addons, perhaps if you use latest ver 0.2.7 by Mikey1234 you can see the proxy in the settings and it works. I've been using it a few years so the addon gets updated.

Wow…thanks DB….this one works very well with catchup programs…great quality….still cant get live tv on it though... even though Ive got the uK proxy enabled…any ideas?