India Visa from Malaysia

Hello there,

i stay now in penang, malaysia and intend to go to india soon, i m a german passport holder,

since the e visa on arrival is only available for 30 days, i need a visa for a longer time.

so i have to apply for a longer tourist visa at the visa application center in penang..

my questions are:

-  can i get a 6 month visa here?

-  how long will it take to get it?

-  do i have to produce a return ticket?

- how much will the visa const?

thanks a lot...

On the "Tourist Visa" page of the above linked website, one finds the following:

1) Visa application of NON-MALAYSIAN foreigner who is not resident of Malaysia will be rejected

Worth asking whether that policy has changed but likely the above will be their answer.

Just to make it clear

From the Tourist Visa section of the above link -

TOURIST VISA - 'T' (FOREIGN PASSPORT)

1) Visa application of NON-MALAYSIAN foreigner who is not resident of Malaysia will be rejected

11) Proof of residing in Malaysia on Malaysian Employment Pass / Long Term visit Pass/Malaysia My Second Home / other supporting documents. (Copies of Malaysian Visa evidences from current to last 2 years)

Generally, Indian consulates and embassies worldwide do issue visas to non-residents, but you have to wait a week while they contact the Indian embassy in your home country for "clearance." I would certainly try in Malaysia, bearing in mind that embassy officials have a lot of discretion, if you can actually deal with them instead of the visa centre staff.

But a six-month visa would be pushing it, I think.

6 hours ago, taxout said:

Generally, Indian consulates and embassies worldwide do issue visas to non-residents, but you have to wait a week while they contact the Indian embassy in your home country for "clearance." I would certainly try in Malaysia, bearing in mind that embassy officials have a lot of discretion, if you can actually deal with them instead of the visa centre staff.

But a six-month visa would be pushing it, I think.

This was true until 2 years or so ago when India advised embassies to only issue visas to citizens and residents only. Travellers have little chance of success but no harm in trying if you are already there.

4 hours ago, taxout said:

No, I received an Indian visa just a few months ago in a country where I am not resident. Same old rigamarole of waiting a week for "clearance" but otherwise same as always.

OK fair enough but very few reports of travellers receiving 6 month visas in Malaysia and Thailand but Sri Lanka has been handing them out.

Out of interest what country gave you the visa.

I'll just say it was a consulate/embassy in Asia, one where you deal directly with the officials and not through a service centre that acts as a gatekeeper. But en route I also contacted a consulate in another Asian country, and they too were willing to give visas to non-residents, though on short terms, 60 days I recall.

4 minutes ago, Mahseer said:

This is the existing e visa which is single entry and good for up to 30 days stay.

The link I provided gives details of a proposed extension to this which allows stay up to 100 days and also multiple entry.

Yes, I realise that but so far the e-visa option hasn't been mentioned.

Whilst it won't be of any use to the OP, otherwise I would have mentioned it before, it might be of use to others.

3 hours ago, Mahseer said:

This has been rumoured for a while and although not in place yet is scheduled:

http://indiatoday.intoday.in/story/e-tourist-visa-travel-india-tourism-incedible-india-lifetr/1/768627.html

Thanks for that info. The extended visa period should make life a bit easier for me in future trips to India, depending on when it starts up.

I was previously based for a number of years in Cairo, although not with residency status as I travelled to other locations on a regular basis. That made obtaining business visas to India a bit more difficult, but not too bad. Just needed some company letters (from both ends) plus the usual contact with my home country for 'clearance' as noted above.

Normally I would receive one year multi-entries but that reduced a few years back to six month visas. For my most recent application, a couple of years back, they were initially only prepared to offer a three month visa but I managed to have that extended to six months by pleading my case. Haven't needed a further visa since then but will be restarting my trips shortly so the introduction of a 100day multi entry will help somewhat. Maybe I could try for further business visas at their Bangkok offices but would prefer to limit any direct contact with India related officialdom wherever possible. I get enough hassle in-country!!