Phuket Airport heading for over-capacity despite B5.67bn new terminal

rooster59

Phuket Airport heading for over-capacity despite B5.67bn new terminal

Tanyaluk Sakoot

1474024975_1-org.jpg

PHUKET: Prime Minister Gen Prayut Chan-o-cha officially opened the new terminal at Phuket International Airport yesterday (Sept 16), bringing to fruition a B5.67 billion project to double the airport’s passenger capacity to over 12.5 million travellers a year.

The celebratory opening came after months of system checks and test runs, beginning in February with a flight of tourists arriving from Hong Kong and culminating with four flights over two days, last Thursday and Friday (Sept 8-9), with hundreds of tourists pouring in from China.

The “test runs” have allowed staff to iron out last-minute wrinkles in making the passenger flow as smooth as possible, Phuket Airport Director Monrudee Gettuphan told The Phuket News.

Although reserved in revealing details of security at the new facility, Ms Monrudee noted that the new terminal will remain on “Level 3+” security, the highest level without invoking intrusive measures that interfere with passenger travel.

The huge building offers more than 73,000 square metres of floor space over four floors. The Arrivals Hall alone covers 5,910sqm, of which 2,980sqm is inside air-conditioned space. The five baggage claim points are served by a carousel 380m long, and the inbound immigration hall features 19 counters with 38 officer stations.

The Departure Lounge alone covers 4,280sqm, serving four gates, with 96 check-in counters and 17 outbound immigration counters with 34 officer stations. The outbound security points feature 11 latest-technology x-ray machines, Ms Monrudee noted.

As its name “International Terminal’ indicates, the new terminal itself is to be dedicated to serving international travellers, Ms Monrudee explained.

“However, the old terminal will undergo extensive renovations and later be dedicated to serving domestic passengers only,” she said.

Despite the prowess of the new terminal, concerns were voiced more than two years ago that Phuket Airport would be over-capacity soon after the mega-expansion project was complete.

Full story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-airport-heading-for-over-capacity-despite-b5-67bn-new-terminal-59138.php#liQGGadZX14mHvK7.97

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2016-09-17

20 hours ago, williamgeorgeallen said:

i am amazed that may people fly into phuket. good on them if they can keep bringing punters into that crappy over priced island. 3000thb for a ST? think i will stick to pattaya.

hundreds of cheaper hotels to be had there in low season than in Pattaya. stayed there recently at a decent midrange hotel for 630 Baht incl. a nice BF buffet next door to Central. without renting a car or bike, it's another story though - you cannot get around without getting ripped-off by the transport Mafia

Another case of fine forward thinking. Infrastructure in Phuket always seems to lag behind the reality. I understand the policy of central government has always to been to allocate funds & resources based on the official population which in Phuket's case is only about a 1/3 of what it actually is. One of the past governors tried to rectify this by encouraging people to register here but was really flogging a dead horse. Airports must come under different criteria though but a good example of how things are built with no eye to the future is the airport car park.

22 minutes ago, Valentine said:

Another case of fine forward thinking. Infrastructure in Phuket always seems to lag behind the reality. I understand the policy of central government has always to been to allocate funds & resources based on the official population which in Phuket's case is only about a 1/3 of what it actually is. One of the past governors tried to rectify this by encouraging people to register here but was really flogging a dead horse. Airports must come under different criteria though but a good example of how things are built with no eye to the future is the airport car park.

I doubt is even as high as a third. So many 'incomers' with no intention or even thought about changing their registration from their home town. Took me years to convince my wife to register here in Phuket.

Any 'criteria' about fund allocation should be based on airport arrivals .... and not registered population.

Looking at the Master Plan 2034 it looks like they intend to add another taxiway to the north of the existing one but on the other side of the runway.

It also looks like they might construct an additional building at right angles to the new terminal to add more gates.

However, without a second runway in place the existing one is going to take a pounding from the increased takeoffs and landings which is likely to lead to the airport being closed at times in order to resurface it.