Briton Stabbed By Tuk-tuk Driver

george

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am Thai but no matter what the news said I think the Tuk-Tuk driver can't do like this to that man..I feel ashamed and very sad for what happened ...Anyway being drunk never bring you any good...Beers in Thailand might be cheaper than all over the world but if compare to your life...it's quite exoensive ..!!!!

I can believe the money was thrown, but I don't believe the Welshman started raining blows on the driver.

I saw a movie the other night, where an attractive young woman hailed a cab late at night in some big American city. She gets in to the cab ....end of scene. If this scene were taking place in Thailand, I could well imagine that cab ride could lead to trouble and travail. possibly even rape and death. Such is the power of impressions fueled by real events.

Perhaps most tuk tuk drivers are decent. But there appears to be a lot of bad apples - especially in tourist slogholes like Patong and Pattaya. Farang tourists aren't dummies. They talk among themselves - and word gets out of surly service and/or padding fares (often) and serious bodily harm (occassionaly).

By the way, a knife stab to the chest is aiming for a mortal wound. And I agree with a previous post that even if you win a fight with a Thai, you never really win - because his buddies, or the police will mess you up before the dust completely clears. There are plenty of other vacation destinations. I will not be surprised if places like Patong become less and less popular as the years roll by.

Rule one for Phuket

Never get in a tuk tuk until you are certain that the driver understands the destination you require and the amount that you will pay. Always agree on the price BEFOREHAND.

Rule two for Phuket

If drunk, don't forget rule one.

Expecting to pay the "usual" price in a land where there are no fixed prices is foolish. :o

Love all the flames against the various nationals in this thread. I'm an Aussie - sober at the moment. When immigration asked my Thai wife if she had any criminal convictions she said "No, I didn't know I still needed one." :D

My parents are visiting me in the New Year, I'm taking them to Krabi or Phang nga instead of Phuket precisely because of all the little things like overly aggressive / annoying tuk tuk touts.

I wonder how much tourist revenue Phuket loses each year because of these stories reaching the press? I'm guessing it outweighs the amount of money made by the 'tuk tuk mafia'.

Why hasn't a compromise been found regarding set prices, and why are these weapon wielding tuk tuk drivers still allowed to ply their trade there?

My parents are visiting me in the New Year, I'm taking them to Krabi or Phang nga instead of Phuket precisely because of all the little things like overly aggressive / annoying tuk tuk touts.

I wonder how much tourist revenue Phuket loses each year because of these stories reaching the press? I'm guessing it outweighs the amount of money made by the 'tuk tuk mafia'.

Why hasn't a compromise been found regarding set prices, and why are these weapon wielding tuk tuk drivers still allowed to ply their trade there?

If you've got time madness, take your folks to the Phanom Bencha mountain resort ... Its about a 20-30 minute drive from Krabi town ... I've just had a week in the area and its beautiful.. no prob with tuk tuks in that neck of the woods ... :o

I am Thai but no matter what the news said I think the Tuk-Tuk driver can't do like this to that man..I feel ashamed and very sad for what happened ...Anyway being drunk never bring you any good...Beers in Thailand might be cheaper than all over the world but if compare to your life...it's quite exoensive ..!!!!

Beer serviced in a bar is the same price here (Thailand) as it is in the UK. The difference is the girls in Thailand are prettier by a long way. Speaking with a welsh accent and being drunk can sound the same. He probably was drunk, but that hardly seems a reason to try to murder him whatever the provocation. Patong residents are used to horny, drunk tourists, that's where they make their income. To stab the hand that feds seems stupid to me.

Still too much beer often = a problem

That can also read too much Lao Kow = a stabbing.

i have seen many drunk and stoned tuk tuk drivers in Patong

""""(:o@

lets hear the welshmans side to all this first.

but ........however you look at this , going back to your vehicle , and getting a knife and then stabbing someone , is not right.

he deserves to be prosecuted. he is a menace. he should go to gaol .

Where is gaol is it nice? Was the Welshman wearing a flag with a dragon on and talking in a weird language, because that may have brought offence or that may be why they thought he was pished!

:D

Gaol is the old English word meaning legal detention. It is still used in NZ and OZ

So we forgot it and the people of Australia kept it on, thats nice. Although legal detention is in the blood on that fair continent. Either way the "Aussies" still bastardise our beautiful language. :o

Edited by lopburiguy

It could of been worst, if he'd been in Sam ui he'd be dead.

""""(:o@

Actually in Samui I just ignore the overpricing. The song tows try to charge you 100 baht, no matter where you go. But I just read the price list in the back window of the truck and then pay them that, and walk away. Do one has even gotten out of the truck when I do this.

If you can't read Thai, then just ask the locals how much they pay.

I don't understand, if someone is trying to overcharge you, and you are sure about it, just pay the correct amount, politely say thank you, and then walk away quickly. I have never had anyone lay a hand on me with this approach.

The whole world is very aware of the antics of drunk Brits, so give these Thais a break, they've got a long way to go to catch up when it comes to hooliganism.

And all canadians have flapping heads and beady eyes. :o

Come on, don't tar us all with the brush. I get drunk from time to time, and am never violent, or cause problems. I'm a happy drunk! Im English, and proud to be.

For the record, I am not a football fan, but the few games I have been to (Manchester United), I have never seen violence. I know it goes on, but it is very much in the minority.

Brits are hooligans? What next? Americans loud? Irish stupid?

Get a grip people. Stop being racist. Judge every human on their own merits.

Phil

What's racist about telling it the way it is, Phil? Here's the number of entries in Google for the term I used:

"Results 1 - 10 of about 673,000 for British football fans riot."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4789954.stm

http://www.umich.edu/~uac/threeweeks/Volume2.6/soccer.html

That's just 2 out of 673,000, the condition is so well known that books have been written on the subject.

Is that the part of being British you're proud of, Phil? Facts are facts, they have nothing to do with being racist, Irish or American. Suggest you plug the links into a browser and then tell us to get a grip.

How about this clever chops? Courtesy of GOOGLE...

Results 1 - 10 of about 614,000 for rape tourist thailand.

Results 1 - 10 of about 680,000 for murder tourist thailand.

Results 1 - 10 of about 851,000 for attack tourist thailand.

So when in England stay away from football matches and supporter pubs is that what you are saying? But when in Thailand stay away from what?? Thailand?

Your thoughts please.

Drunken yob rips off driver, then assaults him. Driver fights back and gets charged. :o

What are you, judge and jury.?...Its a small world, and this is why i wish to comment...I just so happened to be working closely with Julien Bennett, the victim, in the months pior to him leaving for a 6 week trip to Thailand....Julien is much travelled in the region, and has been to Thailand several times over the years, and he is not what you call a naive person. He is also a pleasant and cheerful person who is easy to get on with and has a good sense of humour. he also came across as the sort of person not to want to take any nonsense.

I would lay my hat on it, that Julien knew what the fare should have been (100baht) as he had took the fare numerous times before, and maybe he was drunk, so what, he is on holiday, and the Thai nightlife in Patong is all about selling as much drink as possible for maximising profits....The scumbag tuk tuk driver saw this as his opportunity to double up on the 'naive unsuspecting dunk tourist' and Julien stood his ground....so what if its 100 baht, some people stand on the principle, and I bet that he did throw the 120 baht at the tuk tuk driver, and it was in fact the driver who instigated the fight...Julien is a big lad, maybe 6ft 1, and no doubt fought back in defense, but not to the extent where the driver couldnt return to his tuk tuk, get out a knife, unfold it, and stab him...

So, the question is, who started the altercation...answer, the tuk tuk driver for clearly overcharging.

I have been a victim of this scenario before and i watched as the driver exploded in a rage when he tried to double up on me one night, on a route that I use regularly....fortunately, i didnt get stabbed or attacked.

Hope you have a speedy recovery Jules if you get to read this

This is the most sensible balanced post on this thread.

I live over the hill in Kathu and NEVER use Tuk Tuks purely because of the VERY bad rip off reputation that they have towards tourists regardless of nationality. If people botherd to read the newspapers over the years they would learn that the Tuk Tuk drivers cause problems with tourists regardless Sober or Drunk. I wish this chap Julien well!!!

The whole world is very aware of the antics of drunk Brits, so give these Thais a break, they've got a long way to go to catch up when it comes to hooliganism.

And all canadians have flapping heads and beady eyes. :D

Come on, don't tar us all with the brush. I get drunk from time to time, and am never violent, or cause problems. I'm a happy drunk! Im English, and proud to be.

For the record, I am not a football fan, but the few games I have been to (Manchester United), I have never seen violence. I know it goes on, but it is very much in the minority.

Brits are hooligans? What next? Americans loud? Irish stupid?

Get a grip people. Stop being racist. Judge every human on their own merits.

Phil

What's racist about telling it the way it is, Phil? Here's the number of entries in Google for the term I used:

"Results 1 - 10 of about 673,000 for British football fans riot."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4789954.stm

http://www.umich.edu/~uac/threeweeks/Volume2.6/soccer.html

That's just 2 out of 673,000, the condition is so well known that books have been written on the subject.

Is that the part of being British you're proud of, Phil? Facts are facts, they have nothing to do with being racist, Irish or American. Suggest you plug the links into a browser and then tell us to get a grip.

How about this clever chops? Courtesy of GOOGLE...

Results 1 - 10 of about 614,000 for rape tourist thailand.

Results 1 - 10 of about 680,000 for murder tourist thailand.

Results 1 - 10 of about 851,000 for attack tourist thailand.

So when in England stay away from football matches and supporter pubs is that what you are saying? But when in Thailand stay away from what?? Thailand?

Your thoughts please.

Thais are quite violent in nature. Males up north enjoy gambling on "Cock Fights". We in England are just cocks who like to fight! Who are you looking at anyway...Keyboard warrior! lol

:o

Tuk Tuk drivers down there in Patong definately have a mafia style attitude! I was down there in the Tsunami for 2 weeks, had 1 day off, drove down to the beach there and tried to park my car in a legal park but the Tuk Tuk driver told me to move so he could park there, I refused and was suddenly surrounded by about 5 Drivers abusing me and telling me to get out of Phuket!

Tsunmi wasn't big enough in Patong as far as those Tuk Tuk drivers are concerned! Met alot of other jerks there while working. Hate many of the people in Patong!

Thailand as a tourist destination has become a dangerous destination over the years. It wil get worse, I'm afraid. The long term effect of all the ripoffs and crime against the 'customers', will devastate the industry eventually. Good news travels in threes, bad news in sevens!

I care not to read another word in defence of the actions of a Patong Tuktuk driver - they are filth, some of the worst people I have ever encountered. I dont give a monkeys for anyone's side of the story. The Tuktuk driver tried to rip off a tourist, it didnt work, so he stabbed him. I hope they chop his hand off....

I care not to read another word in defence of the actions of a Patong Tuktuk driver - they are filth, some of the worst people I have ever encountered. I dont give a monkeys for anyone's side of the story. The Tuktuk driver tried to rip off a tourist, it didnt work, so he stabbed him. I hope they chop his hand off....

Tuk Tuk drivers and taxi drivers often talk of drivers that have shot or stabbed tourists about fares to imtimidate them. This will become another story for them to try and scare "Falang" with. Anyways I have bought a car so <deleted> em, no mre money off me! I will not have to listen to thier gangster talk dribble anymore. Hope the Welshman recovers as no one deserves that level of violence unless he gave it himself?

:o

Yes, we need the Welshman's version. But I would guess maybe something like this. He just jumped into the tuk tuk without negotiating the fare and then paid what he thought was the fare, possibly what he had paid on the outward trip earlier in the evening. Then the driver started making a fuss and the Welshman got angry but didn't punch him. The driver pulls out a knife and stabs him. Whatever the real story there is no self defence argument and the driver deserves to spend a few years sleeping on his side in the sardine can.

During questioning by police, Wisut said that he had negotiated a fare of 200 baht to take Bennett back to his hotel. Upon arriving there, Bennett, who Wisut said was drunk, began arguing about the fare, saying the normal rate was 100 baht.

According to the Tuk Tuk driver he negotiated 200 baht for the ride with him (which could be BS) then the welshman gave him 120 baht in the end. Being drunk complicates the equation too!

Whenever I take a tuk tuk I negotiate first. If I disagree I choose another one. As simple as that.

I believe the Tuk Tuk driver is at fault for stabbing him in my opinion.

Its a small world, and this is why i wish to comment...I just so happened to be working closely with Julien Bennett,

Would be very interesting to hear what Julien (is that really how he spells his name) has to say. We really need to hear both sides of the story :o

mr tuk tuk scum had no right to stab the guy. drunk or not has no bearing. i'm guessing the tuk tuk scum was waaaay more whacked out on yaba , mekhong, and "power drinks" than the welshman could ever be.

during the day the fare would have been about 100. i think mr welshman may have had the 100 baht fare earlier and then balked at the new price on the way home.

those lazy surly bastids drivers are everywhere you go in patong. u finally reach a breaking point. i hope mr welshman is ok. he made a mistake in arguing with a lazy thug when he was drunk, but that in no way justifies a stabbing.

No witnesses. Only the reported allegation of the man already charged with GBH. If the story is true, then it's fortunate for both parties that his target wasn't also armed. This kind of violent incident isn't 'Thailand specific'. It occurs every Friday night in the UK - ask a casualty nurse.

Judging from the some of the above posts, it's yet another issue to fuel the fire in the hearts of Thai-haters.

I am surprised how willing some people are to have their conviction ready without knowing any of the facts for sure.

The deal, the circumstances, the words spoken and the acts done are unclear.

- Was the fare of Baht 200 really agreed between the two? Was that possible given language, drinks etc?

- Was the Welshman drunk indeed?

- Was the Welshman honestly complaining having to pay more than he thought he should or was he trying to bypass the deal?

- What did the Welshman actually say to the driver. Was he just tipsy or was he seriously insulting the driver?

- How far away was the tuk-tuk fronm the scene, did the driver immediately runb for the knife of was he heating up over an amount of time?

- What is the background of the two? Did eitehr of them have similar incidents happening before?

I feel with the facts as mentioned in the newsflash, it is not reasonably possible to have a final and fair judgement.

Kind regards

Edited by khunpaul

OK for the anti-british contingent here. Using Google:

Results 1 - 10 of about 714,000 for american ######. (0.15 seconds)

Results 1 - 10 of about 370,000 for drunk scotsman. (0.08 seconds)

Results 1 - 10 of about 1,300,000 for canadian pussy. (0.15 seconds)

Results 1 - 10 of about 1,380,000 for stupid irish. (0.15 seconds)

I guess that means using my search terms means that only drunk Scotsman are less world famous than the British Football hooligans. Anyone else for tennis?

We have one side of the story as the OP. It's common for my Thai co-workers to deny anything if there is even a little possibility that they may have got a job wrong. They have even told me whilst I have been looking over their shoulder watching what they enter into a computer that "It was the computer which put the words in the wrong order." A bare-faced untruth. This lasts for a while until they realise i don't give a ###### if they make a mistake as long as it's caught before we print/publish/send. That is not to say that the Tuk Tuk driver is not telling the truth but I have no way of knowing from the OP who is responsible.

Was the Welsh lad drunk? Unknown at this time. Drunken people don't deserve to get stabbed. Got a problem call the police, the police will get more out of the drunk tourist than a stabbing will.

Look's like a lot of people posting here have never encountered the Patong tuk tuk scum.I was driving in Patong the other day looking for an address in Rat-u-thit Rd.I pulled over to the kerb to read the directions I had written down.Suddenly their is this fat slob banging on my passenger window shouting YOU,YOU.I let the window down to ask what he wanted,he was then joined by two other drivers all shouting You,You.You no stop here.You go now.I finished reading my directions and replied You,You <deleted>> off.I drove off nearly taking the fat slobs head off as he was now leaning through the window.So you do not even have to be a fare to upset these aggressive little sh-t's.They seem to be telling where you can stop now.

Tuk-tuk drivers are a disgrace to Thai society.

Probably 90% of them all pricks are trying every f****** way they can find to rip you off.

I have witnessed many times Tuk-tuk drivers manipulating drunk Farangs to withdraw money out of their ATM accounts, take all the money, kick him against the floor and speed away.

Wow how drunk were these people, that a person can manipulate them into withdrawling money out of an ATM for them. I've been really drunk before, but never that drunk.

When I first heard this scenario I assumed the Farang had promised to pay the driver for a trip, but found out he did not have enough baht after he arrived at the destination. The driver took him to an ATM but the Farang either couldn't or wouldn't get the cash. Interesting how we all "see" it differently.