What is a 'normal' drinker?

Dagnabbit

In my opinion. If you have a problem that you dont want to occur as a result of drinking alcohol and you continue to drink alcohol at that level so that you have that or another equally unwanted problem occur again, then by definition you have a drinking problem. You decided that the drinking was more important than eliminating the occurance of problems.

I think this describes an alcoholic, not a problem drinker..
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 4/1/2018 at 8:31 PM, mogandave said:

I think this describes an alcoholic, not a problem drinker..

Yes I do too - I am in exactly this boat, I don't want the anxiety and every negative feeling that comes with it and I want this house to see the happy times it once had, don't get me wrong it is still a happy house - but not anything like as happy as it once was and I fantasize about getting things back to the way they once were.

But it is not easy when you live in one of the hottest most humid places on earth and don't have any friends around you apart from her indoors - no I won't approach the expats because on previous experience they are nothing but more trouble waiting!! We work hard in merciless heat and I get bored quickly, err maybe now I can play games 3 nights a week but there are still another 4 where I relapse and just can't seem to get out of it - not for want of trying but like the OP says - you are putting the drink before the things you don't want to keep happening, you both make good points but I have to agree - it's alcoholism, not merely a drinking problem.

Alan.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Alan Whickerbasket said:

Yes I do too - I am in exactly this boat, I don't want the anxiety and every negative feeling that comes with it and I want this house to see the happy times it once had, don't get me wrong it is still a happy house - but not anything like as happy as it once was and I fantasize about getting things back to the way they once were.

But it is not easy when you live in one of the hottest most humid places on earth and don't have any friends around you apart from her indoors - no I won't approach the expats because on previous experience they are nothing but more trouble waiting!! We work hard in merciless heat and I get bored quickly, err maybe now I can play games 3 nights a week but there are still another 4 where I relapse and just can't seem to get out of it - not for want of trying but like the OP says - you are putting the drink before the things you don't want to keep happening, you both make good points but I have to agree - it's alcoholism, not merely a drinking problem.

Alan.

I equate a continuing drinking problem with alcoholism. that was my point.

On 2/2/2018 at 9:36 PM, balo said:

I think it would be an interesting business idea to open a bar , that looks like a bar serving only alcohol free drinks.  Cocktails without alcohol etc. Big signs outside to tell everyone to have fun and stay sober.

And I want some great music to dance to . Everyone in party mode without alcohol , that would be great . 

With girls who serve only drinks and do not leave the bar ? 

would be a interesting concept in Pattaya. 

4-5 times a year I get drunk, and then puke, and Im good for another two tree months. Good reminder why I do not drink to often. I get huge hangover days, and first day I do not move out of bed, and hardly eat. 

Im better off without but two glasses of wine for the week and a dinner is good. 

Edited by Hummin
  • Like 1

Alan.

Why not call Alcoholics Anonymous?

3 hours ago, Hummin said:

4-5 times a year I get drunk, and then puke, and Im good for another two tree months. Good reminder why I do not drink to often. I get huge hangover days, and first day I do not move out of bed, and hardly eat. 

Im better off without but two glasses of wine for the week and a dinner is good. 

Thats a stiff price to pay for those two glasses of wine a week

5 minutes ago, gandalf12 said:

In places like Pattaya, Soi Cowboy etc the norm is to get as plastered as you can. Big drinking capacity for small brained people

Oh wow, gee, that sounds so exciting. So adult.

1 minute ago, AYJAYDEE said:

you dont understand substance abuse and its causes

You don't understand my dry humor. But you're right! Since I only ever drank as a young adult and have never done drugs, I wouldn't understand.

But darn it anyway, I lost my supply of crack last night when I got drunk.

Just now, neeray said:

You don't understand my dry humor. But you're right! Since I only ever drank as a young adult and have never done drugs, I wouldn't understand.

But darn it anyway, I lost my supply of crack last night when I got drunk.

not a great thing to joke about, the abuser is suffering

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AYJAYDEE said:

not a great thing to joke about, the abuser is suffering

Sorry for the abuser but I think there are ways to deal with these issues, even in Thailand.

1 minute ago, mogandave said:

Yet you know without asking that explaining it would be pointless.

thats not it at all. I simply feel that my explaining my ideas on substance abuse to  you would definitely serve no purpose for me and whether it would serve a purpose as far as you are concerned is immaterial to me.

4 minutes ago, AYJAYDEE said:

thats not it at all. I simply feel that my explaining my ideas on substance abuse to  you would definitely serve no purpose for me and whether it would serve a purpose as far as you are concerned is immaterial to me.

So basically just throw out a barb but don't bother to answer for it.

1 minute ago, neeray said:

So basically just throw out a barb but don't bother to answer for it.

Lol! why would I feel a need to answer for it to you when you agreed with what I said???                                       your words   "But you're right! Since I only ever drank as a young adult and have never done drugs, I wouldn't understand."

Why so selfish?