What is a 'normal' drinker?

Dagnabbit

1 minute ago, mogandave said:

Beyond a fundamental lack of understanding, what might the reason for your unwillingness to explain it be?

is it you that wants to know? If so, as I explained, your desire is nothing to me

On 9/19/2016 at 8:39 AM, Sheryl said:

I think it is best not to try to define "normal" since norms will depend on the reference population (which in your case seems to be people with drinking problems).

A better criteria than "normal" is: is the person's drinking is a problem or not?

Problem = drink to an extent that is harmful to health and/or drinking interferes with normal functioning (sometimes or often) and/or drinking causes problems with relationships/problems to others

If it's a problem, then it's a problem, and it doesn't matter how many others in a person's social group have the same problem.

As we now know that any alcohol consumption increases the risk of cancer it is fair to say that all drinking is a problem.

5 minutes ago, Kieran00001 said:

As we now know that any alcohol consumption increases the risk of cancer it is fair to say that all drinking is a problem.

a risk of cancer isnt a problem. cancer is a problem

I know people here who don't drink at all, I know people here that go out say once or twice a week to drink, and I know people here who drink every single day and go into panic mode when it's a Buddhist holiday.

There is no simple answer to your question, and is basically a completely pointless thread, even if I have posted on it.

1 minute ago, Pat in Pattaya said:

I know people here who don't drink at all, I know people here that go out say once or twice a week to drink, and I know people here who drink every single day and go into panic mode when it's a Buddhist holiday.

There is no simple answer to your question, and is basically a completely pointless thread, even if I have posted on it.

perhaps he meant average?

I had a time when I was on paracetamol for about 3 weeks, and gave up drinking. Paracetamol and alcohol are really bad for the liver in combination. I found I slept better, and only had to get up once a night for a pee. Dare I say it, my old feller was also much more interested in some humpy-rumpy.

I restrict my drinking to the weekend only now. While I enjoy it, I accept it has some deleterious effects, particularly when you are older.

Too many expats and retired people consumed by alcohol, I always bicycle to exercise and ride past the bars in Pattaya during daytime and there they are , sitting and drinking all day.

They do not look in a good shape to me, but as long as there is enough supply of girls and booze , they just don't care. If I need a girl I will look for a date , outside any bar scene. 

Have a coffee , a lunch or anything, no need to get drunk. 

Edited by balo
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, balo said:

Too many expats and retired people consumed by alcohol, I always bicycle to exercise and ride past the bars in Pattaya during daytime and there they are , sitting and drinking all day.

They do not look in a good shape to me, but as long as there is enough supply of girls and booze , they just don't care. If I need a girl I will look for a date , outside any bar scene. 

Have a coffee , a lunch or anything, no need to get drunk. 

You practice that in Pattaya? Respect!

Im not sure I could,,,,,,, but I can In Hua Hin, but, ehrrr not the same

29 minutes ago, balo said:

Pattaya is a big city , plenty of things to do outside the bar scene. 

Really ?

My respect is for the drinking habits, not the bar scene. It is a good town for a night out, even without the bar scene. Food and good clubs. 

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 9/5/2018 at 10:36 AM, likerdup1 said:

AA defines alcoholism as a two fold illness. Alcoholism has two features:

It's a 3-fold disease

. Physical craving

. Mental obsession

. Spiritual malady

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/4/2018 at 6:29 PM, Neeranam said:

It's a 3-fold disease

. Physical craving

. Mental obsession

. Spiritual malady

Yea, you could say that because ONE time in the Big Book (in the 4th step portion) it mentions it's a spiritual malady. But all Big Book enthusiasts I know point out that if the Big Book wanted to make a point that it's also a spiritual malady it would not have been mentioned briefly once. The first 3rd of the program portion of the book. (Dr Opinion and the first 164 pages) makes the point over and over again that it's a problem of body and mind. In fact the first SENTENCE of the forward to the first edition states that they feel it's a problem of body and mind (Physical craving and Mental Obsession). Quote: "We of alcoholics anonymous are more than one hundred men and women who have recovered from a seemingly hopeless state of mind and body."

To go on and on with a new commer about how you think it's also a spiritual malady would be what AA calls "leading with the chin" in the 9th step. We don't go on and on about spirituality with a new commer until they are convinced they have the problem of body and mind. (first step)

On 10/4/2018 at 6:29 PM, Neeranam said:

6 hours ago, likerdup1 said:

Yea, you could say that because ONE time in the Big Book (in the 4th step portion) it mentions it's a spiritual malady. But all Big Book enthusiasts I know point out that if the Big Book wanted to make a point that it's also a spiritual malady it would not have been mentioned briefly once. The first 3rd of the program portion of the book. (Dr Opinion and the first 164 pages) makes the point over and over again that it's a problem of body and mind. In fact the first SENTENCE of the forward to the first edition states that they feel it's a problem of body and mind (Physical craving and Mental Obsession). Quote: "We of alcoholics anonymous are more than one hundred men and women who have recovered from a seemingly hopeless state of mind and body."

To go on and on with a new commer about how you think it's also a spiritual malady would be what AA calls "leading with the chin" in the 9th step. We don't go on and on about spirituality with a new commer until they are convinced they have the problem of body and mind. (first step)

https://bigbooksponsorship.org/articles-alcoholism-addiction-12-step-program-recovery/big-book-sponsorship/missing-piece-spiritual-malady/

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/14/2018 at 2:31 PM, Neeranam said:

I think there are a lot of AA's who like to make this a big point but for me, I stick to what the Big Book and the 12 and 12 emphasize and for one very important reason.

Hitting a new commer with this idea of Alcoholism is a spiritual malady up front will turn off A LOT of new people ... because a lot of new alcoholics have all kinds of prejudices. In the big book in the chapter "We Agnostics" it says that "more than half of us" felt that same way. So while like me, if you've been around a long time ... sure I know my alcoholism is also a spiritual problem but most important is to illustrate the physical malady and the mental obession to a new commer. That's what the book does. It does not go on about how alcoholism as a spiritual malady .. except in one place .. that I talked about earlier in this thread.

By the way, this essay written by Mike L. is his opinion. It is not AA approved literature .. I will read it and from briefly looking at it I think it looks pretty good. But it's not AA approved and it's one guys opinion put in writing.