Obama urges leaders to open hearts to refugees

webfact

Obama urges leaders to open hearts to refugees

606x341_344495.jpg

NEW YORK: -- In his final speech to the UN General Assembly President Obama has urged wealthy nations to do more to help refugees.

Calling on leaders to open their hearts, Obama stressed that it was only through co-operation that the world’s greatest challenges could be addressed.

“We have to imagine what it would be like for our family and our children if the unspeakable happened to us. And we should all understand that ultimately our world would be more secure if we are prepared to help those in need,” he said.

Obama also warned about the dangers of intolerance, isolationism and nationalism, reserving particular criticism for Russia.

‘‘If Russia continues to interfere in the affairs of its neighbours, it may be popular at home, it may fuel nationalist fervour for a time, but over time it’s also going to diminish its stature and make its borders less secure.’‘

In addition to his criticism of Moscow, Obama urged nations to reject authoritarianism and embrace more open societies.

Defending his record, he also argued that the US had been rare superpower in human history and a force for good, able to think beyond narrow self interests.

euronews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Euronews 2016-09-21

This is heresy to the wingnuts. Christian values? These are terrorists, I tell you! Poisoned Skittles! 

The wingnuts hate Obama like they hate Hillary. 

Watch as they spew their hatred to anything Obama says. 

Edited by Pinot
spelling

13 minutes ago, Mosha said:

If the Russians keep interfering? Hipocracy 555

Sent from my SMART_4G_Speedy_5inch using Tapatalk

For better or worse, the Syrian civil war would have ended by now without Russian involvement.  As you know, they are just propping up the Assad regime.

I was referring to everything going back to Kuwait. All that matters though is oil. Otherwise we'd have been in Zimbabwe a long time ago. It's nowt to do with human rights.

38 minutes ago, Mosha said:

I was referring to everything going back to Kuwait. All that matters though is oil. Otherwise we'd have been in Zimbabwe a long time ago. It's nowt to do with human rights.

And gas.  If it wasn't for the proposed gas pipeline through Syria to Europe, Russia probably wouldn't be there.  Though they do make a bunch of money off Syria via arm sales.

" President Obama has urged wealthy nations to do more to help refugees."

How many of them are actually refugees?  Over half of them are not refugees at all but simply migrants trying to get into Europe and elsewhere for financial reasons.

Last year I was in Greece and I met hundreds of these so called refugees hanging out at various railway stations waiting to go North. There were Syrians, Palestinians, Lebanese walking around with IPhones and IPads, plus all these people had passports and money. Then there were also the Africans, mostly poor, no passports but not refugees either. Then there were the Afghans and Pakistanis, no passports but going to Europe to work. I even met some Chinese migrants travelling into Europe to work, no passports either. All coming from Turkey. The Turkish soldiers were actually (illegally) letting the muslims cross into Greece unopposed at the Kastanies/Edrine border, when they got near the Greek side they were told to walk through the forest to avoid the Greek soldiers.

Then add to this mix the (potential) Islamic terrorists who hide in the crowd waiting for their turn to kill innocent people.

How many criminals have already sneaked into Europe etc opposed. Countries like France, Germany, Belgium, United Kingdom, Sweden are already in trouble with this phony mass migration.  Europe is inundated and now the USA is having Islamic terrorist problems but Obama still wants more.

When will the politicians learn?

If you think I am being unsympathetic then go to Europe or the US where these muslims live and work and see how they treat you in your own country.

Edited by Hawk

Just now, williamgeorgeallen said:

america caused the refugee crisis. now he is asking the western world take the refugees from the US lead wars? no thanks.

I believe the current refugee crisis was created by Assad, supported by Russia with mass meddling by Iran and Saudi Arabia.  Can't blame America for everything!

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/middle-east/barack-obama-urges-vladimir-putin-to-cease-bombing-moderate-rebels-in-syria-a6874531.html

Vladimir Putin 'making refugee crisis worse to undermine Europe'

http://observer.com/2016/04/how-the-kremlin-manipulates-europes-refugee-crisis/

How the Kremlin Manipulates Europe’s Refugee Crisis

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/mar/05/russia-refugee-germany-angela-merkel-migration-vladimir-putin

Russia ‘stoking refugee unrest in Germany to topple Angela Merkel’

Analysts at Nato centre claim to have found evidence of ‘information war’ over migration crisis with links to Vladimir Putin

Who thinks the Obama's will ever live next door to any of these refugees? Who thinks his kids are gonna be in school with these refugees kids ? He is more than willing for average Americans to have their neighborhoods overrun with refugees but not in his back yard. America had plenty of foreign born people, enough is enough. Lets let the USA have a few decades to really settle and assimilate those already in the country.

1 minute ago, IAMHERE said:

Who thinks the Obama's will ever live next door to any of these refugees? Who thinks his kids are gonna be in school with these refugees kids ? He is more than willing for average Americans to have their neighborhoods overrun with refugees but not in his back yard. America had plenty of foreign born people, enough is enough. Lets let the USA have a few decades to really settle and assimilate those already in the country.

Not all refugees are bad.  Some yes, most, no.  America is a more vibrant and open society due to immigration.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Immigration_to_the_United_States

Nearly 14 million immigrants entered the United States from 2000 to 2010,[6] and over one million persons were naturalized as U.S. citizens in 2008.

It ain't perfect, but better than having no immigration at all.  My Mother's side of the family were Scottish immigrants.

4 hours ago, craigt3365 said:

I can understand that this Putin guy is a pretty clever fellow. He packages up a bunch of Russian bonds (paper) and sells it to greedy hedge funds, pension funds and his own people. Then he turns around and takes the paper profit from the sale of the bonds and buys 700,000 ounces of gold. Da yes I will take your paper money from the sale of the bonds and buy your gold. Yes there is definitely one or more born every day. 

Edited by elgordo38

Opening up hearts is not the problem. The problem comes when American workers barely making ends meet have to open their wallets to pay for newcomers who will over time undercut their wages and benefits. Reminds me of the time a bunch of jobs were farmed overseas and the people who were losing their jobs had to train their replacement. Tell me Mr. Obama what will you being doing after you leave the White House it slipped my mind. 

Edited by elgordo38

Part of the problem I have with this is that this whole definition of "Refugee" has changed so much since I grew up. 

In my day, a "Refugee" was a Civilian fleeing his own country do to a major turmoil or trauma as is mass starvation, violence, or war. They generally settled in closed Border Towns (Camps) and was provide food, shelter, and aid through this ordeal. Although many times not near enough aid as was needed. When this turmoil subsided in there own country, they generally headed back home to start there livelihood again. Even when it took years.  

Today, the term "Refugee" appears to mean a person and his family arriving by boat past the Statue of Liberty to start a new life in a new country due to the generosity of that government and support from their tax payers, and whether that is given freely or not. They appear to have no intention of returning home after the crises has subsided unless they have saved enough money to return wealthy or to be able to buy enough land to live on easy street.  So instead of returning home to their families they are more likely to send for them, once they become citizens of that country themselves. 

So it has never been in question if one should help a "Refugee". The only question now is to what extent? 

He doesn't get any less cringe-worthy. You and yours helped create the refugee issue, in Europe at least. I think the US should be doing a darn sight more. But these are empty words as he is super rich and will never have to live next to them or rub shoulders with them. Help the refugees, sure, but most are opportunists as pointed out and they need to be stopped. Obama's tenure is a long time ending.

22 minutes ago, daveAustin said:

He doesn't get any less cringe-worthy. You and yours helped create the refugee issue, in Europe at least. I think the US should be doing a darn sight more. But these are empty words as he is super rich and will never have to live next to them or rub shoulders with them. Help the refugees, sure, but most are opportunists as pointed out and they need to be stopped. Obama's tenure is a long time ending.

So brutal dictators who torture and kill their own people, who were responsible for the Arab Spring uprising, aren't partially responsible for this?  Really?

Nor are other Arab countries who are stirring religions tensions with their "cold war"?

On 21-9-2016 at 5:29 AM, craigt3365 said:

For better or worse, the Syrian civil war would have ended by now without Russian involvement.  As you know, they are just propping up the Assad regime.

As is was !!! Thnx to Poetin- Assad relation this all happens !!

Assad, Killer of his own people, a dictator, as his friend Poetin.

And then even USA governement wants to continue with that killer !! Just forget about what he has done.

Thanx to Assad's stupidity , IS rose and saw his change.

Leaders of the world , countries , just all a bunch of bs <deleted>, ego minded, an embarreshment for human ras.

But...... ever been else whise in human history?

I'm sure public opinion is seldom a consideration to those living in ivory towers, but 74% of U.S citizens polled disagreed with Obama's Middle East refugee plan.

http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2016/09/20/poll-74-voters-reject-obamas-middle-east-refugee-plan/

I bet HRC wishes this one would go away.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

43 minutes ago, xtrnuno41 said:

Thanx to Assad's stupidity , IS rose and saw his change.

IS had its infant beginnings in Iraq if memory serves me properly. Western and northern Iraq culminating in the capturing of Mosul.

IS are a by-product of the Iraq War left behind after the Coalition failed its mission to defeat insurgents in Iraq. And by the dismal attempt at training the Iraqi Army. What on earth were we teaching them for 10 years? Just so that will put down their weapons and run at the first sign of a "stick up".

This allowed IS to get a foothold in the region which served to enable IS to broaden their area of influence in Iraq. And they crossed the boarder into Northern Syria to take large portions of that country as the Syrian government and Army were busy dealing with internal threats during the Uprising.

On 21.9.2016 at 0:52 PM, williamgeorgeallen said:

america caused the refugee crisis. now he is asking the western world take the refugees from the US lead wars? no thanks.

Exactly.

How many war refugees will the US shelter?

Will they cross the Bering straight?

Will they navigate the Atlantic ocean?

No they won't.

Easy talk sitting on the big island between the oceans.

12 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

Exactly.

How many war refugees will the US shelter?

Will they cross the Bering straight?

Will they navigate the Atlantic ocean?

No they won't.

Easy talk sitting on the big island between the oceans.

If you look at it a bit closer, he's asking wealthy nations to do more.  Could be a veiled request for the rich ME nations to help out?  Last year, the US took in 85,000.  Plus about 1MM who immigrated.  That's a fair amount. 

Stop the bombing and we'll have less refugees!  I think he was also referring to that....just guessing...

Please stick to the topic and abide by forum rules.  Specifically, this one:

9) You will not post inflammatory messages on the forum, or attempt to disrupt discussions to upset its participants, or trolling. Trolling can be defined as the act of purposefully antagonizing other people on the internet by posting controversial, inflammatory, irrelevant or off-topic messages with the primary intent of provoking other users into an emotional response or to generally disrupt normal on-topic discussion.

On ‎9‎/‎22‎/‎2016 at 9:29 AM, craigt3365 said:

So brutal dictators who torture and kill their own people, who were responsible for the Arab Spring uprising, aren't partially responsible for this?  Really?

Nor are other Arab countries who are stirring religions tensions with their "cold war"?

I wasn't aware that black African countries, from which many of the illegal economic migrants come were involved in the Arab Spring. They aren't Arabs for a start.

There was a doco on Al Jazira recently, in which illegal economic migrants said they were hoping to bring their relatives over as soon as they reached the country of their choice ( which wasn't the first safe country they reached ).

Now that all countries north of Greece and Italy are fencing off their borders, I wonder how long before the citizens of Greece and Italy elect anti immigrant governments?