As Trump rises, Clinton struggles with traditional playbook

webfact

As Trump rises, Clinton struggles with traditional playbook

By LISA LERER and CATHERINE LUCEY

WHITE PLAINS, N.Y. (AP) — For months, Democrats argued that voters would get "serious" about the campaign once it reached the fall and would reject Donald Trump's no-holds-barred approach.

They're still waiting.

With fewer than 50 days left, polling shows a tightening national race and — most unnerving to Democrats — a Trump rise in key battleground states. But as Trump's provocative appeal gains traction, Hillary Clinton is sticking with the traditional playbook: Lots of attack ads, a focus on getting out the vote and intense preparation for next week's first general election debate.

Her approach underscores what's emerged as a central question of the 2016 campaign: Can Clinton's play-it-safe political strategy win against a chaos candidate?

Even President Barack Obama, who long dismissed the idea of a future Trump administration, has started ringing alarm bells, warning Democratic supporters to expect a tight race that Clinton could possibly lose. Recent polls suggest the Republican may have an edge in Iowa and Ohio and is likely in a close race with Clinton in Florida and North Carolina.

"This guy is not qualified to be president," Obama told donors at a Manhattan fundraiser on Sunday. "This should not be a close election, but it will be."

Clinton's campaign, Democrats say, has little choice but to stick with its plan. The always-measured Clinton, they argue, can't out-improvise one of the most unpredictable politicians of the modern era.

"We're going through the roller-coaster rides of campaigns. All she can do is just keep plowing ahead," said Steve Schale, a Democratic strategist who ran Obama's Florida operation in 2008 and advised him four years later. "She's going to win it by grinding it out."

Hoping to calm some supporters' concerns, Clinton's campaign sent out a memo Monday, reminding them that the electoral map favors Democrats. The memo charted various paths to 270 electoral votes and urged backers to channel their worry into volunteering.

"Battleground states carry that name for a reason: They're going to be close, from now until Election Day," wrote campaign manager Robby Mook. "But we are going to win them because we've spent the past year building a superior ground game to communicate our message and turn our people out to vote. So instead of worrying, let's just get to work!"

But Trump, who lacks Clinton's organized effort on the ground but regularly fills massive arenas, is far from a standard opponent. In the primary, he knocked off more than a dozen rivals who took a basically standard approach to his unpredictable rhetoric.

"Everybody in the primary at one point or another tried to take Donald Trump down in the way you take someone down who says absurd things and none of them worked," said Rick Tyler, a former aide to primary rival Sen. Ted Cruz. "She's trying to do more of the same. And more of the same isn't working."

Clinton aides see next week's debate at Hofstra University as a key moment. The Monday night match-up will finally give voters a chance to compare the candidates side-by-side.

Clinton must communicate the "contrast and choice to voters that are tuning in for the first time," said spokesman Brian Fallon.

For his part, Trump has begun taking baby steps toward becoming a slightly more traditional candidate, reading off teleprompters, rolling out policy proposals and making overtures to minorities — creating even more uncertainty among Democrats about how he'll act on the debate stage.

Though aides decline to detail debate preparations, Clinton has built a lot of downtime into her schedule for recent weeks. Then there was the pneumonia episode.

She is holding sessions with experienced Democratic debate experts, including Ron Klain, Karen Dunn and Robert Barnett, all of whom advised Obama. One closely held secret: the identity of the person playing Trump in the sessions.

"In an unpredictable race against an unpredictable candidate, by definition the only thing you can control is what you do," said Mo Elleithee, a former Clinton aide who's now head of the Georgetown University Institute of Politics and Public Service. "They're focusing on that."

While Clinton has been prepping, her team has stuck with its strategy: Define Trump in the summer with a barrage of negative ads.

Clinton' campaign and allies have spent more than $180 million on TV and radio advertising between mid-June and this week, according to Kantar Media's political ad tracker. Trump and his supporters spent about $40 million in the same time period.

It's a strategy that mirrors the one pursued by Obama during his re-election campaign, when his team barraged Mitt Romney through the summer with ads casting him as an out-of-touch plutocrat.

But Clinton, with deep unfavorability ratings of her own, is a far different candidate from Obama. Her team is making a renewed push to ensure turnout from groups who supported the president — young voters, Latinos and African-Americans. But she acknowledges she has work to do, telling young voters in Philadelphia on Monday she understands they "may still have some questions" about her.

Looking to the debates, Clinton says she's ready for whatever Trump sends her way.

"I am going to do my very best to communicate as clearly and - and fearlessly as I can in the face of the insults and the attacks and the bullying and bigotry that we've seen coming from my opponent," she said on "The Steve Harvey Morning Show." ''I understand it's a contact sport."

___

Associated Press writer Julie Bykowicz contributed to this report.

ap_logo.jpg
-- © Associated Press 2016-09-21

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

52 minutes ago, ivan96822 said:

She is a hypocrite. Her attack ads do nothing but call him names like liar, bigot, and racist.

And she admonishes him for name-calling...

:o

There isn't much else to do the man has no policies to attack or discuss.   Just a Wall and keep all Muslims out.   

What a terrifying thought it is that Trump, the cheating, lying, bankrupt, racist, ignorant imbecile that he is, may actually be in with a chance of becoming president. This fact alone should be a clear reason for the rest of the world having a veto over US elections. 

What a terrifying thought it is that Trump, the cheating, lying, bankrupt, racist, ignorant imbecile that he is, may actually be in with a chance of becoming president. This fact alone should be a clear reason for the rest of the world having a veto over US elections. 

Try messing with our elections and our Special Forces will take out all of your leaders

3 hours ago, Ulysses G. said:

All her negative advertising is not working because her supporters have told so many lies about him that he is immune. People have just stopped listening. I have to admit that I hope she loses just he she is so dishonest and unethical.

I believe it's worse than that.

Trump is an habitual and continual liar, and he does it so much that people are now immune to it.

What should be of concern is the constant failure of the so called "Left wing" media to fact check and report his lies.

1 hour ago, RuamRudy said:

Cheating, lying, racist, ignorant imbecile are all subjective and bankrupt he is not.  If I have 100 profitable businesses and file for bankruptcy in 5 that does not make the other 95 bankrupt.  Forbes says he is worth 4.5 billion.  

http://www.forbes.com/donald-trump/#eb96026790be

7 minutes ago, Scotwight said:

Cheating, lying, racist, ignorant imbecile are all subjective and bankrupt he is not.  If I have 100 profitable businesses and file for bankruptcy in 5 that does not make the other 95 bankrupt.  Forbes says he is worth 4.5 billion.  

http://www.forbes.com/donald-trump/#eb96026790be

Currently not bankrupt, but how many times has he used bankruptcy laws to get out of his obligations, thus causing untold pain and misery to honest, hard-working businesses that he dropped in the sh!t?  
"Trump has actually filed Chapter 11 six times, four times within two years in the 1990s, once more in 2004 and once more in 2009."

As for my other comments on his qualities, I agree that they are subjective but he hardly works to play down any of them. 

This a quote from The Washington Post:

"Business Week estimated Trump’s net worth at $100 million in 1978. If Trump had merely put that money in an index fund based on the Standard & Poor's 500 index — the kind many Americans use to save for retirement — he would be worth $6 billion today."

This is  quote from Fortune:

"Trump’s net worth has grown about 300% to an estimated $4 billion since 1987, according to a report by theAssociated Press. But the real estate mogul would have made even more money if he had just invested in index funds. The AP says that, if Trump had invested in an index fund in 1988, his net worth would be as much as $13 billion."

So much for his business acumen.

5 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

Currently not bankrupt, but how many times has he used bankruptcy laws to get out of his obligations, thus causing untold pain and misery to honest, hard-working businesses that he dropped in the sh!t?  
"Trump has actually filed Chapter 11 six times, four times within two years in the 1990s, once more in 2004 and once more in 2009."

As for my other comments on his qualities, I agree that they are subjective but he hardly works to play down any of them. 

"Business Week estimated Trump’s net worth at $100 million in 1978. If Trump had merely put that money in an index fund based on the Standard & Poor's 500 index — the kind many Americans use to save for retirement — he would be worth $6 billion today."

"Trump’s net worth has grown about 300% to an estimated $4 billion since 1987, according to a report by theAssociated Press. But the real estate mogul would have made even more money if he had just invested in index funds. The AP says that, if Trump had invested in an index fund in 1988, his net worth would be as much as $13 billion."

Bankruptcy laws are part of a successful business strategy.  They protect a company while debts are repaid among other things.  Business acumen in a person in business is better than a person who is a professional politician in my opinion.  

How much does a President effect business?  http://workatheadquarters.com/blog/does-a-new-president-actually-impact-businesses/

Erik Snowberg, a Caltech economist, says that it is easy for the public to pin blame on a face and ignore a larger series of potential issues that face the economy. Snowberg continues, “…people think that it matters quite a bit more than it does.

Hillary is a globalist and wants the UN to rule the world and Trump does not.  The American people are starting to realize this more and more.  Trump is Brexit and anti Merkel.  Hillary is the other side and right now that's the losing side.  The traditional play-book is not working ask the anti Brexit people.   

13 minutes ago, Scotwight said:

Bankruptcy laws are part of a successful business strategy.  They protect a company while debts are repaid among other things.  Business acumen in a person in business is better than a person who is a professional politician in my opinion.  

How much does a President effect business?  http://workatheadquarters.com/blog/does-a-new-president-actually-impact-businesses/

Erik Snowberg, a Caltech economist, says that it is easy for the public to pin blame on a face and ignore a larger series of potential issues that face the economy. Snowberg continues, “…people think that it matters quite a bit more than it does.

Hillary is a globalist and wants the UN to rule the world and Trump does not.  The American people are starting to realize this more and more.  Trump is Brexit and anti Merkel.  Hillary is the other side and right now that's the losing side.  The traditional play-book is not working ask the anti Brexit people.   

Now we are really getting into a subjective area. Everything about the man, in my opinion, tells me that he is dishonest, untrustworthy, and willing to lie and hurt honest people to get ahead. I appreciate that there are many people who suggest his opponent is no better, but that, although unfortunate, should not allow this man to be elevated to a position for which he has spent his entire life proving himself fundamentally unfit.

As for Brexit - that is our own shame. Brexit won by the narrowest of margins, supported in no small way by our own collection of bigots and racists. Being part of it is no badge of honour.

This is certainly bizarre.  I never expected that Trump would still be in the race.  I know that Clinton is immensely unpopular but the fact that Trump is even being considered as a possible president is unbelievable.  The fallout if Trump actually won would be colossal.

It now looks like negative voting will be the motivation.  People will be voting to keep the other candidate out rather than for one they believe in.  It makes a complete mockery of the principles of a democracy but hey! This is where we are....

4 hours ago, RuamRudy said:

Ah, yes, the hallmark of the we know best  hard-left...  A democratic vote but it shouldn't be allowed because it's not what you agree with. Diddums

4 hours ago, RuamRudy said:

The sad thing is that he isn't the worst of the 2 choices...

16 minutes ago, impulse said:

The sad thing is that he isn't the worst of the 2 choices...

Well that depends on which side of the fence you are on.  However it is incredibly worrying for the world when you have two candidates like these vying for the top job.

Time will tell the real price for this fiasco 

I bought 30 oz. of gold in 1983.it tripled in value, if I had bought 30 shares of BRKA now worth $6 million. Isn't 20/20 hindsight wonderful!

5 hours ago, RuamRudy said:

As for Brexit - that is our own shame. Brexit won by the narrowest of margins, supported in no small way by our own collection of bigots and racists. Being part of it is no badge of honour.

A million and a half votes is a large margin.  No room for error there.  The vote was solidly against the globalists.  Same problem Clinton faces.  If she thinks a million and a half votes for nationalism is a small margin she is screwed.  Better get her new ducks in a row and start singing the National Anthem and pick some anti immigrant pro police stances. 

Edited by Scotwight

8 hours ago, Chicog said:

I believe it's worse than that.

Trump is an habitual and continual liar, and he does it so much that people are now immune to it.

What should be of concern is the constant failure of the so called "Left wing" media to fact check and report his lies.

And still Trump leads.   What does that say about the Dems and the failure of the last 8 years? One could say that most of the country would rather commit politcal suicide rather than vote for 3rd Obama term.

7 hours ago, RuamRudy said:

Now we are really getting into a subjective area. Everything about the man, in my opinion, tells me that he is dishonest, untrustworthy, and willing to lie and hurt honest people to get ahead. I appreciate that there are many people who suggest his opponent is no better, but that, although unfortunate, should not allow this man to be elevated to a position for which he has spent his entire life proving himself fundamentally unfit.

LOL honestly when I read your first paragraph I thought you were describing Hillary Clinton. 

Races are always tight. Personally After 8 years of Bush miss management and absolutely tanking both the economy and war it was close between John (never met a war I didn't like) McCain and (Yes We Can) Obama. The natural 8 year swing between Dems and Republicans heavily favors Trump on this go round. Two deeply disliked candidates,  but there lots on the line with the supreme court appointments coming. If Trump comes across as even remotely presidential he has an excellent

shot at being elected. Absolutely the very best in reality TV. I will be watching the debates and

enjoying the theatrics of both sides. Remember, the country doesn't get who it deserves, it gets who you vote for. :whistling:

2 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

And still Trump leads.   What does that say about the Dems and the failure of the last 8 years? One could say that most of the country would rather commit politcal suicide rather than vote for 3rd Obama term.

No, he doesn't lead and his short "momentum" spurt is OVER. 

1 hour ago, Silurian said:

Hillary should handle Trump as the UK and Ireland does. Put him where he belongs and give him what he deserves.

UK and Ireland are now awash with Trump-themed urinals

http://mashable.com/2016/09/21/trumpinals-are-a-thing-now/

UK and Ireland are AWASH.... 

Has 3, THREE, urinals with his face on it. I admit it the title got me and I clicked and unfortunately contributed to the site. 

On a positive note at least we lived in countries where we can do things like this and not be arrested. 

Edited by Strange