Nearly 1,000 lower-ranking officials in net over rice case

rooster59

Nearly 1,000 lower-ranking officials in net over rice case

CHULARAT SAENGPASSA,
PRAPAN JINDALERTUDOMDEE
THE NATION

30296061-01_big.jpg

Public sector anti-graft body to come down heavily in over 800 cases of alleged wrongdoing

BANGKOK:-- THE PUBLIC Sector Anti-Corruption Commission will widen the net to implicate a large number of lower-ranking officials found guilty in the Yingluck government's rice-pledging scheme, according to PACC secretary-general Prayong Preeyachit.

Deputy Premier Wissanu Krea-ngam also suggested that another 50 to 70 lower-ranking officials were likely to be implicated in the related alleged fake government-to-government (G-to-G) rice-sale contracts executed by ex-commerce minister Boonsong Teriyapirom and five other defendants.

Full Story: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/politics/Nearly-1000-lower-ranking-officials-in-net-over-ri-30296061.html

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2016-09-24

5 minutes ago, Caveat Emptor said:

Oh, another list no doubt but since it mentions low ranking officials there may actually be some action taken but just what that might entail is anyone's guess.

Ordered to inactive post > what until media scrutiny/public attention dies down > back to the trough.

Unless they're Shincrim sympathisers: Tried > assets seized before trial even finishes > imprisoned.

22 minutes ago, maoro2013 said:

50 - 70 doesn't sound like a thousand to me.

From The Nation article:

According to Prayong, there are more than 800 cases of alleged wrongdoing in the rice-pledging scheme involving more than 1,000 lower-ranking officials, including those responsible for rice warehousing and surveying at the Marketing Organisation for Farmers.

It must have been a long wait for those at the end of the line to receive a portion of the leftovers after the higher ups got their pockets full. The speed that the judicial system seems to work will probably include all of those charged being called as witness for each other, thus the que gets longer and slower moving.

39 minutes ago, lucky11 said:

Yingluck not big enough for you?

I'm talking about officials that the money trail leads to, not incompetents responsible for irresponsible policies. Can you not see the difference?

Even if one agrees to the completely unprecedented step of criminal and civil liability lawsuits for former policy-makers linked to government policies, don't you think the government should wait for the final verdict in the criminal cases against Yingluck before filing the civil compensation lawsuits and seizing her assets? Jumping the gun like this almost makes it look like a politically motivated witch hunt...

If the criminal case against her finds she personally profited from the scheme—like the low ranking officials in this story—then, by all means, seize her assets. Lock her up. You won't hear a complaint from me.

2 hours ago, williamgeorgeallen said:

need to check if they are wearing red or yellow under ware before laying charges. this rice scheme is another great reason to go after the opposition. 

It's a reason to go after corrupt criminals.

Why am I not surprised they are wearing red?

5 minutes ago, KenKadz said:

When the big fish are away, the little fish will eat!

So maybe Yingluck is not such a bad guy after all?

"...maybe Yingluck is not such a bad guy..."

Personally, I've always felt she was quite an attractive female.

Edited by ratcatcher

ahhh , it's really sticky rice involved with this affair

glutenous fatcats of all levels are being stuck like a gummy flytrap

paddy wagons all round for the petty paddy field pinchers

no one actually goes to Gaol, as that only happens theses days - when Libel or Slander are the Accusation.

Yingluck could technically Sue someone to Gaol,

as she's not making anymore money, from what she's been accused of.

Not that she personally made the money - as per the OP - it was the lower caste mini-bosses, that dunnit!!

8 hours ago, dabhand said:

From The Nation article:

According to Prayong, there are more than 800 cases of alleged wrongdoing in the rice-pledging scheme involving more than 1,000 lower-ranking officials, including those responsible for rice warehousing and surveying at the Marketing Organisation for Farmers.

Not what the article says is all I say. I am not into researching what the journalists should have done.

1 minute ago, dabhand said:

Maybe you should try reading the article in The Nation. Not difficult, really. 

Simply said the article did not provide the relevant facts and actually it was factually wrong. As I said I am not into researching. The article was wrong.

Just now, maoro2013 said:

Simply said the article did not provide the relevant facts and actually it was factually wrong. As I said I am not into researching. The article was wrong.

I do agree that many of their articles are short on facts, so would not be at all surprised if your contention stacks up.

Out of interest, and as you seem very sure of your case, what is your information source?

7 hours ago, jamesbrock said:

I'm talking about officials that the money trail leads to, not incompetents responsible for irresponsible policies. Can you not see the difference?

Even if one agrees to the completely unprecedented step of criminal and civil liability lawsuits for former policy-makers linked to government policies, don't you think the government should wait for the final verdict in the criminal cases against Yingluck before filing the civil compensation lawsuits and seizing her assets? Jumping the gun like this almost makes it look like a politically motivated witch hunt...

If the criminal case against her finds she personally profited from the scheme—like the low ranking officials in this story—then, by all means, seize her assets. Lock her up. You won't hear a complaint from me.

In one 300,000 tonne secret deal, Siam Indica, a company run by one of her brother's cronies, made a B900 million profit, while the people of Thailand suffered a B3.3 billion loss. Hard to imagine their wasn't a kickback or profit sharing arrangement in place.

12 minutes ago, halloween said:

In one 300,000 tonne secret deal, Siam Indica, a company run by one of her brother's cronies, made a B900 million profit, while the people of Thailand suffered a B3.3 billion loss. Hard to imagine their wasn't a kickback or profit sharing arrangement in place.

Agreed, very hard to imagine. But one needs more than imagination to justify seizing someone's personal assets. If any crusade could convert "close ties" to "personally profited," the junta witch hunt via the Thai (in)justice system can. When they do so, I'll cheer the seizing of her assets alongside you.