Studying Thai In Cr?

Focus

Summer may not be a good time for AUA as it is rainy, low, season - and they only offer Thai when there are enough student applicants... There's a 'school' on Jet Jod (girl bar) Road, promising to teach you to speak Thai in 6 hours, and Wanpen Nantha on Koh Loi Road (I think I included a phone # for her on www.chiangraiprovince.com/guide). Wanpen is very pleasant and good humored, and offers beginning individual instrudtion for B150/hr. She helped me translate my Lanna history into Thai and recieves my highest recommendation!

Personally I was very satisfied with Khun PLoy.

She uses a very good method, when explaining the basic grammar of the Thai language.

I think she is still teacher at AUA, but she also gives private lessons at her little school next to the Macro. It is certainly not her fault that I still don't speak Thai :D

If anybody is interested, please PM me, or find her at the AUA (behind the Golden Triangle Hotel in the center of town).

Limbo :o

post-6305-1164670738_thumb.jpg

Edited by Limbo

A good addition to any language program is to buy an alphabet book like the kids use and learn the alphabet along with some useful words which are associated with the letters....its also loads of fun to recite these with some children (if you like having fun with children that is). Another way to help learn is to do your best to stop speaking English when at all possible....learn a few Thai words like toothbrush, toothpaste, bottle of water, toilet paper , bathroom....etc.......and then never refer to them using English but insert the Thai words into your English sentences........also you could but labels on all the items in your dwelling...post it notes work great for this....do it in Thai script....everyday when you use these items just look at the labels and say the words.....

It turns out that most people learn best when they are active. A problem with schooling is that it tends to encourage the teacher to be active and the student to be passive which is exactly backwards from what works best. The best way to learn is to integrate your studies into your daily activities....or at least try to stay both physically and mentally active during your lessons.

Chownah

Yes, it's always a good start with the children books but not to forget that some people are actually not very good at learning languages. If you don't succeed, no worries, be it Thai or French.

It does also take longer that you think but beginning with something that manages to keep you interested is the best way as John just wrote.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi. Can anybody recommend a language program for studying Thai in Chiang Rai? For example, is there a branch of AUA in CR? I would like to do a month long intensive course this summer, perhaps.

Go to the nearest Se-Ed bookstore first (there's one at Big C) and get "Teach Yourself Thai" by NTC Publishing Group. It's a book and tape set that's pretty good for starters. I forget what I paid for it but I think it was around 600B or so. Good deal. Then go thru the book and listen to the pronunciations on the tapes. And, yes, do ALL the exercises, including learning to read Thai script. It may seem like a daunting task at first, but you have to learn to read Thai script if you want to start to REALLY learn the language. While you're there, pick up both Se-Ed's Thai/English AND English/Thai dictionaries for reference. Very important.

When you have finished the TYT book and have a basic grounding, go to the AUA and just buy the first three AUA books and sit down and start studying those. They're only 200B each. They will probably have to order them from BKK.

This way you can take your time learning without having to attend class, pay fees, etc. Remember that with AUA, you will "wash out" if you miss even two classes, but since the classes are rarely offered in CR (so little demand) this is a moot point (unless you decide to move to Chiang Mai in which case classes are offered regularly).

After that, then go see one of the tutors in town to fine tune what you've learned.

Good luck. PM me if you have questions.

A good addition to any language program is to buy an alphabet book like the kids use and learn the alphabet along with some useful words which are associated with the letters....its also loads of fun to recite these with some children (if you like having fun with children that is). Another way to help learn is to do your best to stop speaking English when at all possible....learn a few Thai words like toothbrush, toothpaste, bottle of water, toilet paper , bathroom....etc.......and then never refer to them using English but insert the Thai words into your English sentences........also you could but labels on all the items in your dwelling...post it notes work great for this....do it in Thai script....everyday when you use these items just look at the labels and say the words.....

It turns out that most people learn best when they are active. A problem with schooling is that it tends to encourage the teacher to be active and the student to be passive which is exactly backwards from what works best. The best way to learn is to integrate your studies into your daily activities....or at least try to stay both physically and mentally active during your lessons.

Chownah

Totaly agree. When I first started learning I use to use grade 1 text books for Thai kids.(no English at all) and then worked my way up to grade 4 where I am still currently using (when I can stop being lazy for a second). Sure the stories were for children but thats ok because I could relate to them and understand the majority of the stories. I would sugest that you find books that you like (all in Thai) and get a teacher to teach you from your book. This way you are studying something that you know will be good and something that you like. There is nothing worse than learning something that you rarely use in everyday life so it is very important what is gettingtaught.

Just my opinion.

ITR :o