Aging Farang retirees in Thailand: Why not get off your bar stools and go back to school!

Inspire

2 minutes ago, transam said:

Correct....

OP has no idea how I ended up here, probably call me a liar anyhoooo. What pisses me off is topics like this aimed at an age group.

When I collect my pension from the UK, I'll have lived in this country for 42 years. I wonder if I'll be put in the same pigeon hole as the Pattaya sexpat barstooler?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

johnniey

Unfortuneatly you will.But it will be by the people who know F##k all and are all newbies,or those that are still prancing through the daisy fields of "how wonderful it is to be here,here a month and i know everything,and how wonderful Thai people can be,if only you try to understand them"

4 minutes ago, Khon Kaen Dave said:

johnniey

Unfortuneatly you will.But it will be by the people who know F##k all and are all newbies,or those that are still prancing through the daisy fields of "how wonderful it is to be here,here a month and i know everything,and how wonderful Thai people can be,if only you try to understand them"

That reminds me of a bloke that has written books about us.......:whistling:

Just now, Johnniey said:

I can guarantee that if a normal member posted this it would be locked.

Well, the anti-Thai bashers must be enjoying an article that generalizes the elderly farangs in an unfair, negative way....   Turn about is fair play?  Hence the disjointed click bait title, perhaps intended to illicit the hypocrisy.   Not terribly clever, but seems to be working. 

Except Mr. Transam. He's more clever than the fox who dunnit.  :biggrin:

Apart from not researching your article or should we call it debacle l. Please do not pigeon hole all farangs as bar stool dwellers. No doubt any Thai reading this would belive every farang just sits on a bar stool.  If this is reporting then I suggest you go for a job with the Sun newspaper in UK there on your level. 

Note to Editor get a grip please

Any time I see a thread started by Inspire I wait to see if the responses get to page two then give it a look.....

The responses usually are more interesting,  more witty, & thought provoking than the opening posts.....

Less disappointed that way.....

I think the OP is talking about the Thai Gor-Sor-Nor Educational system for adults :unsure:

The Gor-Sor-Nor system is open to all adults resident in Thailand over the age of 15 years old and is free of charge - it is very much open to long term foreigners, though see the conditions of entry below.

Conditions of entry

1.     Copy of your house 'yellow book' or 'tabien baan' with your name in it

2.     Qty=2  passport size photos (2 x 2 inch)

3.     Thai ID card or passport original and copy for foreigner.

Here in Pattaya/Banglamung, the Gor-Sor-Nor School กศน.อำเภอบางละมุง จังหวัดชลบุรี

runs at Wat Jitapaawan every Sunday Morning 0900-1200hrs.

Registration for the next school term is 01-10 October 2016

Other comments

School books and a school uniform will need to be purchased - students are encouraged to dress smartly and be well presented and punctual for all class sessions.

homework is provided for every week, and can take several hours study to complete if done properly

Comments

Although anyone including foreigners can apply, the schooling is aimed at literate Thai adults, and thus the teaching language is entirely in Thai.

I think I am currently the only foreigner attending schooling there among 3-4,000 Thai people resident in the Banglamung area.

There are no entry tests or educational prerequisites, however...

• This is not a a language school - if your Thai language reading, writing, talking, listening skills are not fully adult level fluent - you're not quite ready yet, continue with self study.
  • You should be able to comfortably read a newspaper, understand Thai TV, radio and blockbuster films and read quick enough to understand moving subtitles on TV programs/karaoke songs.
  • Basically the Gor-Sor-Nor system is aimed mainly at Thai adults who have already attended formal schooling, but somehow failed to pick up any formal education qualifications.

Anyone interested is welcome to PM me for further information

The more they keep publishing articles like this, the more inspired I am to make sure I never subscribe nor to recommend, Jesus it's so banal and tedious, if only they would do some research first and then perhaps think just a little bit.

Having read a few of Inspire's early postings I made a point of ignoring them afterwards.  I'm not sure why I got sucked into this one, but it merely shows me that my original reaction was entirely correct.  

Talentless Pattaya based hacks, why don't you go on a writing/ journalism course, or stop wasting bandwidth with your dross?

Edited by Slip

These old ladies in school girl uniforms- they really make you laugh. In Japan old people still go to work, their society is good to old age people. You can get job if you are mentally still capable of working, you choose the number of hours you would like to work.

Wouldn't Thailand do that as well?

14 hours ago, Gecko123 said:

"...it would seem logical that they would be more than welcome especially if they already had a bit of a knowledge of the Thai language."

Even a halfway serious journalist would have checked first with the Dept of Education to see whether this program aimed at Thai seniors was open to foreigners.

Perhaps you're the one who needs to spend less time sitting on a barstool, Gerry.

gerry  , gerry  ,  most of us old farts have forgotten more than condescending a-holes like yourself ever knew . i suspect you never met a cause you did not like and agree with in your never ending search for acceptance , you remind me of a 59 chevy , very pretty , but all show no go . sling your self help crap elsewhere . 

1 hour ago, bbbbooboo said:

You would think that Thai behaviour, generally ,is childish enough already

Where do you have to be to watch Thai people acting childish?

I don't see them around CM....I didn't see it when I lived further out in between 3 villages - even at the village parties/celebrations.....I don't see it when traveling around the country.....Don't see it when visiting family in central Thailand....I never saw it among my Thai friends/wives/spouses in the US....

I look around and see industrious people working hard making a life for themselves (city or country side) - but still with time to laugh, joke, talk & smile.....I see people that enjoy having a laugh and a good time - usually in a conservative or traditional way....

I just don't see these silly, childish, Jackie Chanish silly faced clownish people while out & about living life.    .....

Where do you find them?

Edited by pgrahmm

12 hours ago, Doc46 said:

Go to school and be allowed to work  for next to nothing like the Silly Teacher that work here,,Us retired old codgers get more on a pension than a silly teacher working in Thailand,,,Way to go, are you Serious ? ,,,5555,,,

Please explain what you mean by "silly teacher". 

I am a teacher and get 5 times more than I'll get when I get my UK pension in 12 years.