Sadao border money scam

10 minutes ago, Lamkyong said:

never heard of it in the first place   thai side??

Sadao or  Danok  is where all minibuses pass on the way to and from Penang.

Thai side 

Malaysian side is Bukit Kayu Hitam.

Heard from more than one person that came this way that they had to put money in the passport and if refused they did not get stamped in. I think there was some posts here on TV about it as well

17 minutes ago, Lamkyong said:

2 minutes ago, Clamhua said:

I think the vans do Padang Besar crossing...driving up the main highway you go through Bukit Kayu Hitam. The signs going into Thailand say Sadao but the village is Danok where the boarder crossing is

Padang Besar  use to be the train. Every time I have gone on a minibus it has gone via Sadao/Danok. But I have not done this for more than 2 years.

But I have friend who did maybe half year ago and had to pay 100 or 200 B can't remember.

I did it twice. Last was about a year ago. I had heard reports that if you take evidence to show you have required funds (I forget what the amount is now) then you don't need to pay. First time it worked. Second time the guy handed it all back to me and looked at me angrily like "where's my money".

I really can't imagine things changing there anytime soon. I have seen signs saying to report corrupt immigration but it's as if their name tags are designed not to be read. 

Even if you can read thai they are too small and shiny.

2 hours ago, sikishrory said:

I did it twice. Last was about a year ago. I had heard reports that if you take evidence to show you have required funds (I forget what the amount is now) then you don't need to pay. First time it worked. Second time the guy handed it all back to me and looked at me angrily like "where's my money".

I really can't imagine things changing there anytime soon. I have seen signs saying to report corrupt immigration but it's as if their name tags are designed not to be read. 

Even if you can read thai they are too small and shiny.

Hi

Thank you for the info. do you remember how much you had to pay?

It all depends on your nationality, what visa you are on and how you are traveling and if you have onward ticket or funds to show.

If you come back via van the driver will advise you, 100 or 200B.

A month ago, I came back in on a multi-entry O after a long weekend in Malaysia on my own bike. I was expecting difficulties but nothing was said.

A mate came back on a van with a 3 month non-b .. No problems for him, some guys without funds put some red notes into their passport, they didn't like the look of another South African teacher on a non-b and sent him back to MY. They would have made it difficult even if he had.

I also hear that Padang Bezar has also been refusing the odd person, due to multiple visa exemptions, but there is no need for westerners to pay a fee there.

14 hours ago, bokningar said:

Padang Besar  use to be the train. Every time I have gone on a minibus it has gone via Sadao/Danok. But I have not done this for more than 2 years.

But I have friend who did maybe half year ago and had to pay 100 or 200 B can't remember.

The train uses Padang Besar  last time by road about 10 years ago was one Ringgit

Inflation not too bad then

11 hours ago, sikishrory said:

I did it twice. Last was about a year ago. I had heard reports that if you take evidence to show you have required funds (I forget what the amount is now) then you don't need to pay. ..

A guy I spoke to who went through about 5 mo ago with a Tourist Visa from Penang said he was sent back to collect 20K Baht in cash from ATMs to show. 

The general rule is, cash and/or traveler's checks only at the border / airport, but bank-records only at the Consulate where you get your visa. 

4 hours ago, khounteen said:

I just crossed the border yesterday at Danok, its 1 ringgit per person if you put it in your passport and 2 ringgit if they ask from you. They say its overtime money, lol..

Did you come in one of the minibus tours or did you have your own transport? 

5 hours ago, khounteen said:

I just crossed the border yesterday at Danok, its 1 ringgit per person if you put it in your passport and 2 ringgit if they ask from you. They say its overtime money, lol..

2 Malaysian Ringgit.

Another scandalous scam/extortion in the 50 US cent range.

Just wasted 3 min of lifetime on this thread :passifier:

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 2