Is fast food the greatest scam ever in LOS?

thaibeachlovers

On September 26, 2016 at 9:19 PM, thaibeachlovers said:

Maccers in Central World used to be full of Thais. That was many years ago, so might have changed. The point of this thread is that Thais are paying a lot of money to eat western crap food, and I wonder why they would do that, given that Thai options are available far more cheaply.

Don't tend to see rich people eating in Maccers in cities like London.

How are you able  " see" if someone in London is rich or not?  I was just wondering.  X ray vision through their wallet or something? 

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One thing I loved when was in England years ago was going to a Greasy Spoon Transport Caf .Truck Park full of slushing puddles ,full of Cigy Smoke that was outdone by the grill churning out Bacon And Sausage fumes .aMug of Nescafé better than any Starmucks.Things are better now for some but not all.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

OP's point is that the Fast Food is overpriced. So what? In a market economy no one is forced to eat at these restaurants, but the ones who chose to eat there do it voluntarily.

And as the FF joints not only survive but seems to thrive their price is probably correct for this market.

Should I have MCD or KFC for lunch today?

On ‎9‎/‎26‎/‎2016 at 9:12 PM, thaibeachlovers said:

Apologies to Maccers. Their most expensive meal is 220. The over 300 deal is Burger King's at 339. Their most expensive is 409.

Man, you seriously need to get yourself a life!

Spending time on here discussing the prices of burgers. Dear o' dear.

On September 26, 2016 at 0:56 AM, rijb said:

According to The Big Mac index, the rising fast food prices in Thailand are due to the overvaluation of the Baht.  

In other words, blame the Thai government for playing games with the Baht.

http://www.economist.com/content/big-mac-index

They have to keep the baht high otherwise the hi so's wouldn't be able to buy land and businesses in foreign countries. You don't think the Thai government cares about its people do ya. I'm sure you agree.

On 27/9/2559 at 1:38 AM, swissie said:

While the disposable income has risen over those 15 years, it would still not make it feasible to dine at McDonalds daily for most Thai's.
Maybe just a change of taste?
The bar-ladies used to buy fruits from vendors. Now it seems that they prefer to buy things that are dripping with oil for a snack. And not overly expensive.
I venture the guess, that this is where the calories come from that turned Thai's from "slim and trim" to something else. McDonalds & Co can not be isolated as the sole "perpetrators".
Not rushing to the defense of McDonalds & Co, I would still like to think, that the food served at those fast food temples has gone thru certain minimal "quality tests" internally.
On the other hand, I have never seen any officials galloping around at those open air food stalls, taking samples to be analised in a laboratory.
- I have only seen Farangs hospitalized for 3 days, after having indulged on Thai Cuisine, purchased from a "Cuisine" on 3 wheels. That can spoil your day (or holiday).  
Cheers.   

having worked for a major world food company who supplied Mcd...Kfc....etc....i can confirm that all McDs products are tested to the maximum and every ingredient can be traced back to its roots....when the horse meat scandle hit the UK a few years ago i knew McDs would not be involved in this in any way...and they wernt........if a product isnt 100% in any way shape or form it will be scrapped at great expence to themselves...P S what is fast food ???....end of the day its food to eat....do chinese go out for chinese in china ?? no they go to eat food....

McDonalds is NOT the number one restaurant for westerner. McDonalds is not a restaurant at all. It simply a fast food franchise and nothing more. 

You have to understand that most westerner can eat a lot of different foods from many different country not just burger and thai food. 

Most Thai people only like thai food and that is ok. No problem. But most western people grow up eating a lot of different kind of food from many different country. 

Also, just to let you know, McDonalds is an american franchise and the burger they have there is not a real burger. It is a cheap thing like you can buy at 7-11. Not real food. 

On September 25, 2016 at 8:43 PM, Henryford said:

My tgf used to work at KFC and she only got paid about 250 baht a day. For her lunch break she used to buy a KFC meal and drink which cost ... 250 baht. She didn't realise she was working for free.

Dahh 

On ‎26‎/‎09‎/‎2016 at 0:18 AM, JJGreen said:

Must be cheap in pattaya.

Last time I bought some Mcdonalds I remember a set being about 180 baht or less...
kfc was similar...or 120 baht for 8 drumstick looking pieces..add some fries and drink...not sure that's 10 times either

The real criminality of deception is Starbucks and their clones...
165 baht for a iced coffee?? Now that coffee is on a par with 3in1 Birdy

And compare that with the coffee you can make at home. Yes, proper ground quality ( Boncafe B100 for 250gms) and prepared in a coffee machine for B2. Starbucks and their like are not scamming but they are certainly "ripping off"

The prices are high and that seems to be the OPs complain mostly. You get air at a fast food restaurant too. You can have a meal for under 100 baht at KFC or McDs. You can get three hamburgers (Yes, crappy) for less than 100 baht. The best burgers aren't for under 100 baht in Pattaya. Most of the normal Thai people eating at the fast food places don't eat their often because it's too expensive. The city people and foreigners eat there more often and they know what quality is. They don't take their family members out for birthday meals at fast food restaurants unless maybe it's for a kid. Most Thai restaurants that are better will cost more than McDs or KFC for a group of four people. You will pay 1000 baht and up ( a lot up often) if you want a 'good' meal.

49 minutes ago, Alive said:

The prices are high and that seems to be the OPs complain mostly. You get air at a fast food restaurant too. You can have a meal for under 100 baht at KFC or McDs. You can get three hamburgers (Yes, crappy) for less than 100 baht. The best burgers aren't for under 100 baht in Pattaya. Most of the normal Thai people eating at the fast food places don't eat their often because it's too expensive. The city people and foreigners eat there more often and they know what quality is. They don't take their family members out for birthday meals at fast food restaurants unless maybe it's for a kid. Most Thai restaurants that are better will cost more than McDs or KFC for a group of four people. You will pay 1000 baht and up ( a lot up often) if you want a 'good' meal.

Visit any McDonalds or KFC at the weekend and Thais will outnumber Foreigners 20 to 1. As it should be I guess. There are more of them than us.

The only fast food I ever eat on the run is Subway. It's cheap at  69 baht for their sub of the day in Thailand  and you can get lots of veggies on it. Been doing them for decades. The very first one was opened right in the next town over from me in Connecticut.  Now there are thousands and thousands.  I've seen on more than one occasion the vegetables getting their temperature taken. I bet BK OR McD's don't do that. 

First subway I saw was in Stamford CT. And it was the only one around for years.

31 minutes ago, augustwest said:

First subway I saw was in Stamford CT. And it was the only one around for years.

That may have been one of the first but Bridgeport CT had the very first one a little before I was born in August 1965. Now over 44,000. By the time I ate my first one n the 70's they had many shops but wiki says they wanted to have 32 by their 10 th year and I think they surpassed that in just a couple years after opening!!  

One thing to consider folks. It is well known that fast food makes you fat. For a recent example look at Mexico. They drank so many soft drinks because they were cheap. An surprise surprise they were getting fat and developing diabetes! The government raised the price significantly and the consumption went down correspondingly. That is not a bad thing.

So if you make fast food expensive, less people will eat it and less people will get fat! I don't see that as a bad thing at all.

8 minutes ago, smccolley said:

One thing to consider folks. It is well known that fast food makes you fat. For a recent example look at Mexico. They drank so many soft drinks because they were cheap. An surprise surprise they were getting fat and developing diabetes! The government raised the price significantly and the consumption went down correspondingly. That is not a bad thing.

So if you make fast food expensive, less people will eat it and less people will get fat! I don't see that as a bad thing at all.

Well, yes and no. There is evidence that the Mexico anti-obesity tax tactics have had some modest, limited success. Better than nothing, and probably good enough for other nations such as Thailand to strongly consider. 

to each his own...who are u to judge what Thai people eat???...and at what price?...Thais (and I sometimes) enjoy a good unhealthy tasty burger/fries/Coke...don't u have better things to do than be a cuisine policeman and criticize others?...get a life!!

On 27 September 2016 at 1:38 AM, swissie said:

While the disposable income has risen over those 15 years, it would still not make it feasible to dine at McDonalds daily for most Thai's.
Maybe just a change of taste?
The bar-ladies used to buy fruits from vendors. Now it seems that they prefer to buy things that are dripping with oil for a snack. And not overly expensive.
I venture the guess, that this is where the calories come from that turned Thai's from "slim and trim" to something else. McDonalds & Co can not be isolated as the sole "perpetrators".
Not rushing to the defense of McDonalds & Co, I would still like to think, that the food served at those fast food temples has gone thru certain minimal "quality tests" internally.
On the other hand, I have never seen any officials galloping around at those open air food stalls, taking samples to be analised in a laboratory.
- I have only seen Farangs hospitalized for 3 days, after having indulged on Thai Cuisine, purchased from a "Cuisine" on 3 wheels. That can spoil your day (or holiday).  
Cheers.   

I agree with you , I tell my thai partner all the time to stop eating that shit food of the streets here .

it is full of fat and no control with the food that is sold here on the streets.

i not like eat a lot at KFC and Mc but I would say it is a lot better then the food on the streets.

That could be why Thais like to eat KfC and mc .

Have never in my life been into or had bought any sort of fast food from Mcd/burgking/KFC or any other.  I eat burgers which I prepare myself. I eat chicken which the mrs cooks for me all spices and citing are thai. Pizza yes again made by our self's.  I suppose I have lied slightly as I used to enjoy good old proper Yorkshire cooked fish/chips and mushy pea's. I do miss the latter about the only thing I miss about the UK

5 hours ago, Pat in Pattaya said:

Man, you seriously need to get yourself a life!

Spending time on here discussing the prices of burgers. Dear o' dear.

No one made you come on here.

You know what I'm thinking but you aren't worth having a posting holiday over.

There's a lot of people on here that either didn't read the OP or don't understand that the thread is about fast food as status cuisine, not if it is healthy or not.

20 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

There's a lot of people on here that either didn't read the OP or don't understand that the thread is about fast food as status cuisine, not if it is healthy or not.

20 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Fast food to non 3rd world countries is fast won't say cheap food. Here in Thailand compared to normal village food I dare say they consider it a cuisine. So we can't make a sweeping statement about it. What's normal in 1st world countries is above the normal in fact way above the normal here. However moat fast foods I see here are so overpriced normal thai folk can't afford it very often so yes it's a status food to them.