Is fast food the greatest scam ever in LOS?

thaibeachlovers

On 9/26/2016 at 11:17 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

Try over 300 baht for a Maccers in Pattaya.

Can still get a Thai meal of fried rice chicken for 25 baht outside of Pattaya. Correct me if that isn't 10 times.

I don't get why Thais think the crap is so status.

Really? Last time I bought a Big Mac it was 79 baht. It was a year or so ago, here in Nakhon Sawan, though. If you're buying in Pattaya maybe they're pricing them for tourists and don't expect Thai customers to buy.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Deepinthailand said:

Have never in my life been into or had bought any sort of fast food from Mcd/burgking/KFC or any other.  I eat burgers which I prepare myself. I eat chicken which the mrs cooks for me all spices and citing are thai. Pizza yes again made by our self's.  I suppose I have lied slightly as I used to enjoy good old proper Yorkshire cooked fish/chips and mushy pea's. I do miss the latter about the only thing I miss about the UK

You not want to spend the money you Kai nai , just joking nothing wrong with that food if you eat 3 or 4 times a year. 

Go to YouTube and look at mc chicken nuggets and you will see it is not all that bad .

On 26.09.2016 at 0:11 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

The prices they are asking now are about 10 times the price of a standard Thai meal, whereas 10 years or so ago, they were only about 3 times the cost of a standard Thai meal.

In fact, for an average fast food meal ( burger, fries and drink ) they charge over 100 baht more than a very nice meal in an AC restaurant in Pattaya, where I can get a much larger burger, and nicer fries.

You have trouble with math?
  or show me very nice meal in an AC restaurant... standard Thai meal.. for 10 baht

18 hours ago, georgemandm said:

I agree with you , I tell my thai partner all the time to stop eating that shit food of the streets here .

it is full of fat and no control with the food that is sold here on the streets.

i not like eat a lot at KFC and Mc but I would say it is a lot better then the food on the streets.

That could be why Thais like to eat KfC and mc .

You make no sense!...Thai street food is often very healthy and very cheap...you revealed your character when u said, "I tell my Thai partner to stop eating that shit food of the streets."...we'd all love to hear other words of wisdom that you tell your Thai partner!!!

23 hours ago, Naroge said:

OP's point is that the Fast Food is overpriced. So what? In a market economy no one is forced to eat at these restaurants, but the ones who chose to eat there do it voluntarily.

And as the FF joints not only survive but seems to thrive their price is probably correct for this market.

Should I have MCD or KFC for lunch today?

Right. OP is basically a whinge by the impecunious entirely innocent of basic economics. The costs involved in rolling out a set meal at McDonalds in Pattaya, in prime locations etc., are vastly greater than rolling out a bowl of chicken fried rice at a local *ran aharn outside of Pattaya. Note that the OP forbids discussion of quality differences, LOL. I don't see where McD's is claiming to be health food--though one can just eat a salad there. Not that Thais would care: chicken fried rice isn't particularly healthy in itself. Thais eat & drink all kinds of sugary fattening Thai junk anyway, which accounts for a growing public health problem.

And in fact the OP is a perfect example of the complex question fallacy. How many times per day do you beat your wife? False, unproven presupposition baked in that it's all about "hi-so status." :) Then there's the arrogance, as Suradit has noted, of Khun Farang lecturing Thais, when it's none of his business anyway. Looks like an attempt to hide the whinge under the guise of handwringing for the poor, deluded, ignorant Thais.

So not only is it not "the greatest scam ever" but isn't a scam at all. 

Edited by JSixpack

37 minutes ago, DSJPC said:

You make no sense!...Thai street food is often very healthy and very cheap...you revealed your character when u said, "I tell my Thai partner to stop eating that shit food of the streets."...we'd all love to hear other words of wisdom that you tell your Thai partner!!!

Ok I put to you like this , most of the thai food off the streets is shit and I tell you the ball things ,they sell would have no meat in them , they cook in that shit oil that smells no control on how much meat goes in to that food at all and most of the meat  all has MSG on it .

and the hotdogs again no control on the meat that goes in to them .

are you just trying to be smart or what .

do you thing the ball shit has control on how much meat goes in to them no ,

that is why it is so cheap no meat goes in to them .

1 hour ago, DSJPC said:

''partner'' LOL

1 hour ago, DSJPC said:

Both of you are right ..
   Yes there are street food shit.
  there are better than fast food.
very healthy.. mm may be. but sure not often..

Pizza in Thailand must be the biggest SCAM!!  Cheap to make,
staff paid 300Baht per day, if that and still charge$8-9 for a small
size pie.....a complete ripoff!?

And in the franchise restaurants it tastes not good.
I can remember once tried a pizza at pizza company. Never again!
Not sure if they use real cheese and the tomato sauce far too sweet.
I can make a pizza with quality ingredients for less or at least equal to their price.

1 hour ago, ardokano said:

Both of you are right ..
   Yes there are street food shit.
  there are better than fast food.
very healthy.. mm may be. but sure not often..

Ok some of the street food is ok like the rice and the corn and the  fruit yes .

but most of the balls and hotdog are full of  

FAT and the Pam oil that it is cook in smells a lot .

and the MSG is put on the meat to make it  taste good.

do you think that Thais will put good meat for you to eat no and the balls and hotdogs would have very little meat in them but lots of fat .

that is why it cost little to buy .

do you know about body fat if you do then next time you are with your thai lady feel her legs and you will see we're all the fat street food go's to on a thai .

The hydrogenated fat they use for frying your french fries is the killer. It's like smoking cigarettes it takes years before you fall sick. You need to eat enough on regular basis though.

The Thais are simple minded folks, the advertisement is very persuasive. It is also a group mentality, all the students will meet in these fast foods restaurants, it's something they enjoy doing, never mind if the foods are expensive or don't taste good.

The advertisement says, "Let's mom rest on Sunday and let us poison the whole family with our "Family Meal Today", got that?

3 hours ago, madusa said:

a group mentality . . . all the students will meet in these fast foods restaurants . . . never mind if the foods . . . don't taste good.

:cheesy: You don't know Thai students at all. They never, ever eat anything they don't think tastes good.

Come down to it, only one rule makes it impossible to believe here that Thais can enjoy McD's for merely the same reasons everyone else in the world does: the TVF Poster ONLY FARANGS HAVE MONEY rule, acquired from associating with the poorest low class Thais (notably bar girls). Call it a "group mentality."

On 9/27/2016 at 1:38 AM, swissie said:

While the disposable income has risen over those 15 years, it would still not make it feasible to dine at McDonalds daily for most Thai's.
Maybe just a change of taste?
The bar-ladies used to buy fruits from vendors. Now it seems that they prefer to buy things that are dripping with oil for a snack. And not overly expensive.
I venture the guess, that this is where the calories come from that turned Thai's from "slim and trim" to something else. McDonalds & Co can not be isolated as the sole "perpetrators".
Not rushing to the defense of McDonalds & Co, I would still like to think, that the food served at those fast food temples has gone thru certain minimal "quality tests" internally.
On the other hand, I have never seen any officials galloping around at those open air food stalls, taking samples to be analised in a laboratory.
- I have only seen Farangs hospitalized for 3 days, after having indulged on Thai Cuisine, purchased from a "Cuisine" on 3 wheels. That can spoil your day (or holiday).  
Cheers.   

The quality tests are mainly do they have enough salt, fat, sugar to sell.

But as Trump says "I like fast food because I know what's in it". Doesn't mean it's healthy.

The point a lot of people are missing here is that with the average daily wage around 300 baht per day (yes, some is higher some is lower), that 300 baht burger set or chicken set is a full days Thai salary. That in itself makes it an expensive 'treat'.

Even at minimum daily salaries in the west (UK 60 pounds/ US $77 approx.) - A fast food meal does not cost a full days salary. If it did how many people would buy it?

A fast food meal in the west costs around the same as the western one hourly wage

Should fast food chain burgers and chicken here not be 30 baht a set then? - the average Thai hourly wage.  Pound for pound, $ for $. baht for baht - fast food here is very expensive in income relative terms.

32 minutes ago, Udox said:

The point a lot of people are missing here is that with the average daily wage around 300 baht per day (yes, some is higher some is lower), that 300 baht burger set or chicken set is a full days Thai salary. That in itself makes it an expensive 'treat'.

Even at minimum daily salaries in the west (UK 60 pounds/ US $77 approx.) - A fast food meal does not cost a full days salary. If it did how many people would buy it?

A fast food meal in the west costs around the same as the western one hourly wage

Should fast food chain burgers and chicken here not be 30 baht a set then? - the average Thai hourly wage.  Pound for pound, $ for $. baht for baht - fast food here is very expensive in income relative terms.

Less time and expense to sell 100 sets at 300 baht than 1000 sets at 30 baht.

Or they could sell 1 set for 30000 baht.  But, I would demand extra napkins.

21 hours ago, nausea said:

You miss my point, how much is Thai food in London.

You miss the point of the whole thread instead.

A Thai food meal in London costs still way below the average minimum wage in the UK, while a fast food meal in Thailand cost more than the average minimum wage in Thailand.

1 hour ago, Anthony5 said:

Speaking for yourself again?

How could I be, as I clearly don't follow the rule? Usual commentard logic.

Me, I've made a wide variety of acquaintances here in the LOS from highly educated hi-so to ignorant low-so. And I do speak basic Thai.

Now weren't you whinging and threatening to call Momma recently that I'm stalking you after I happened to shred a few of your posts?

Edited by JSixpack