Phuket bus driver plays it safe after steering fails

webfact

Phuket bus driver plays it safe after steering fails

Eakkapop Thongtub

1474864813_1-org.jpg

A worker from S P Stainless Construction Co Ltd was able to reconnect the loose wires to the steering system. Photo: Eakkapop Thongtub

PHUKET: -- The driver of a bus carrying Chinese tourists from Chalong Pier on Saturday afternoon (Sept 24) made a quick decision to stop his vehicle rather than risk the lives of those on board when the bus’ steering suffered a failure.

Mr Supawatkan Kunnarak, an official from Chalong Municipality and Chalong Traffic Police were called to investigate an incident at 1pm on Saturday where it was reported that a bus carrying Chinese tourist had been forced to stop in the middle of Chao Fa West Rd in front of S P Stainless Construction Co Ltd.

Upon arrival at the scene, the driver, Mr Kathawuth Kulbuth, 29, told police he had picked up tourists from Chalong Pier and was heading north along Chao Fa West Rd, when he attempted to make a turn in front of Wat Chalong he noticed a problem with the vehicle’s steering.

Full story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-bus-driver-plays-it-safe-after-steering-fails-59239.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2016-09-26

1 minute ago, Moonlover said:

Wiring on a steering system? Are Thailand's buses so advanced that they have started to use technology from the aerospace industry? As in 'fly-by-wire'.

I don't think so.

And I do so admire the electrician's mains connection!

Ever heard of power steering?

Or, do you think the driver has the strength to turn the wheels?

1 minute ago, KarenBravo said:

Yes, you will note I've already withdrawn my earlier comment for that very reason. But thanks for pointing it out.

23 minutes ago, KarenBravo said:

How many vehicles actually have electrically operated steering? I double very much that this bus does.

25 minutes ago, KarenBravo said:

I had always thought power steering worked using hydraulic system, but a quick Google check confirms there is an electric 'drive-by-wire' system.  Must check how our car power steering works for future reference ...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_steering

1 hour ago, LivinginKata said:

I had always thought power steering worked using hydraulic system, but a quick Google check confirms there is an electric 'drive-by-wire' system.  Must check how our car power steering works for future reference ...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_steering

Certainly every vehicle I've owned had hydraulic assistance. Come to think of it, I remember having the drive belt snap on my old Isuzu Trooper once. It was ok to drive at speed, but damn hard work once I got back into town.

So I formally withdraw my comment. But I do wish the worker would buy a plug.

11 hours ago, LivinginKata said:

Good decision to immediately stop the bus.

I am intrigued that a worker from the nearby stainless company repaired the steering 'loose wiring' ..... so no mechanical problem .....mmm .... I wonder how well these buses are maintained ?

Held together by elastic bands and string by the sound of it.

22 hours ago, KarenBravo said:

Firstly, power steering on road going vehicles have been almost always powered by hydraulic assistance.   The hydraulic pump being powered by the  rotation of the engine. 

In recent years, a number of new technologies have been developed whereby either the hydraulic pump is powered by a separate electric motor (not the engine)  or  by  Electric Power Assisted Steering (EPAS) which has an electric motor and torque sensor fitted inside with the steering column and does not use hydraulics at all.    I am surprised that any Thai bus company would have a fully electric setup; but hey, good for them if they do.

Regardless; even if the power assistance fails, the driver is still able to steer the bus even though a lot more effort is required.