How loyal are you to Thailand ?

autanic

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

19 hours ago, SiamBeast said:

Pretty loyal, I have a Thai wife, kids on the way, properties, vehicles, can speak Thai (level 6) and write (level 5).

Considering that the Western world lost its culture and is about to become one huge islamic republic, we see Thailand as a safe haven to retire and be in a place that beleives in family values - and that suits me just well.

Have you ever traveled to southern Islamic Thailand? Apparently not.

11 hours ago, joeyg said:

But consider this. I know this topic is about Thailand but as a means of comparison take a look at the situation in the USA my former home. What's it like in your country? http://www.marketwatch.com/story/most-americans-have-less-than-1000-in-savings-2015-10-06

Americans are living right on the edge — at least when it comes to financial planning.

Approximately 62% of Americans have less than $1,000 in their savings accounts and 21% don’t even have a savings account, according to a new survey of more than 5,000 adults conducted this month by Google Consumer Survey for personal finance website GOBankingRates.com. “It’s worrisome that such a large percentage of Americans have so little set aside in a savings account,” says Cameron Huddleston, a personal finance analyst for the site. “They likely don’t have cash reserves to cover an emergency and will have to rely on credit, friends and family, or even their retirement accounts to cover unexpected expenses.”

How many Thai's have ever seen $1,000?

20 hours ago, bwpage3 said:

Have you ever traveled to southern Islamic Thailand? Apparently not.

If the trouble makers cross the line and come north and interfere with tourist dollars, they will be shot down like dogs in the street.  Guaranteed.

On 7/1/2017 at 3:03 PM, yellowboat said:

Though my little gold digger does put some pressure on my finances, my reserves are always well above US$1000.  Touch wood.  Work in Asia.  Eat like Asian.  Save like an Asian.  Hope to get rich one day or work until the day I die.  One way or the other is fine with me.     

I cashed out 3 years ago at 62.  Thank God...

How many Thai's have ever seen $1,000?

Westerners Still think all thais are dirt poor. Totally incorrect. I would be asking how many expats have seen a thousand? So many are dirt poor on a pension living on the outskirts of any thai city in 4k fan rooms and oddly enough gloating about the rent on TV

On 9/27/2016 at 3:50 AM, Johnniey said:

... little bothy in the Scottish highlands sounds nice to me for 6 months a year.

Yes. Uh huh. In your imagination it has been a long hot June day, there are no midges and the slowly sinking sun is casting shadows on the hillside, causing the running deer to appear and disappear as you drink your Laphroaig. 

Face facts. There are about six weeks when you aren't actually facing death from hypothermia in said bothy, and even during that period drowning remains possible. Every local is an extra from the Wicker Man, and the only local shop is a Spar where a can of tuna has two numbers before the decimal point. The post bus arrives once a month and as fleeing German hill-walkers break cover they throw their rucksacks at the pursuing zombies to slow them down. The postie bears an uncanny resemblance to Bruce Willis. 

It worries me how ridiculously susceptible to socialization I am. I was in Nong Khai over the summer in 2014, and every night on the TV at eight they had the nationalistic broadcast - sweeping music, flag, soldier handing  child back to to grateful mother - and after a week of it I found myself in floods of patriotic tears. After two weeks I'd have been up for an invasion of Vietnam. I was genuinely quite upset when the king died. It meant a lot to the Thais, and I can't help entering into their worldview and I then get upset with them. I was watching that supercilious bitch Sue Perkins on the BBC travelling the Mekong and being sarcastic about the fact that people didn't speak English and I was furious. "It's their f****** country, why don't you make the effort...", and so on. 

The Thais make it quite easy to become a bit loyal and defensive. You don't go to Morocco and leave an honorary Moroccan, but the Thais (like lots of peoples) make it easy to become a little bit local. 

3 minutes ago, Craig krup said:

It worries me how ridiculously susceptible to socialization I am. I was in Nong Khai over the summer in 2014, and every night on the TV at eight they had the nationalistic broadcast - sweeping music, flag, soldier handing  child back to to grateful mother - and after a week of it I found myself in floods of patriotic tears. After two weeks I'd have been up for an invasion of Vietnam. I was genuinely quite upset when the king died. It meant a lot to the Thais, and I can't help entering into their worldview and I then get upset with them. I was watching that supercilious bitch Sue Perkins on the BBC travelling the Mekong and being sarcastic about the fact that people didn't speak English and I was furious. "It's their f****** country, why don't you make the effort...", and so on. 

The Thais make it quite easy to become a bit loyal and defensive. You don't go to Morocco and leave an honorary Moroccan, but the Thais (like lots of peoples) make it easy to become a little bit local. 

I had / have that socializing tendency in NZ (more so in the Main Island...), Norway, Polynesia, Madeira, Faroer, Cataluna, but I am in Thailand mostly for the good weather during the European winter. Too much fake & camp & superstition here, and no buddhist life style.

Not complaining though, as long as I can spend 4 months a year in Europe (the spring) and swim in my own mini swimming pool  in the middle of nowhere in Eastern non touristy Thailand for the rest of the year.

10 hours ago, Craig krup said:

Well said.  I really like Thais And really do find them some of the easiest people to get along with. As some Thai friends have gotten to know me, they say I must've been Thai In my previous life. It is possible... :jap:

55 minutes ago, joeyg said:

Well said.  I really like Thais And really do find them some of the easiest people to get along with. As some Thai friends have gotten to know me, they say I must've been Thai In my previous life. It is possible... :jap:

That has been my experience too... going back a long time.

On ‎9‎/‎27‎/‎2016 at 7:39 AM, hawker9000 said:

'Sort of a strange question...

I think using "loyal" was incorrect in the context of the OP. IMO it's more about how committed one is to staying in Thailand.

I used to be very committed to staying in Thailand and dreamed about it for over 10 years while working towards that goal. Unfortunately, LIVING in Thailand is different than a couple of short visits every year, and I really blew it by marrying the wrong woman, so that commitment to stay is no longer there, but I certainly like being here, rather than the cold place.

On ‎7‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 8:45 PM, RowdyAlpha said:

Loyalty for a country only has one meaning for me. Would you go to war and fight for that country if needed. Australia, yes. Thailand, no.

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

While off topic I feel that deserves a reply. IMO if Australian and fighting in any war since Korea, one is actually fighting for the US, as none of the "enemy" threatened Australia.

However, if I became a Thai citizen, I would feel obligated to fight for them, as that is an obligation that comes with citizenship.

Loyal as it salute the flag, or loyal as in obeying the local laws and following local customs? Or loyal by not going on forums and attacking the people, government and everything about the country you choose to live...because it isn't the same as your country where you choose not to live?

I am not Thai, however have no need to be accepted as a Thai. However Thailand is what it is, I choose to live here at times so I don't constantly moan about it and criticize it publicly. Is that being loyal or just being polite?

10 minutes ago, Rancid said:

Loyal as it salute the flag, or loyal as in obeying the local laws and following local customs? Or loyal by not going on forums and attacking the people, government and everything about the country you choose to live...because it isn't the same as your country where you choose not to live?

I am not Thai, however have no need to be accepted as a Thai. However Thailand is what it is, I choose to live here at times so I don't constantly moan about it and criticize it publicly. Is that being loyal or just being polite?

I see your point.

But I think that being critical is the only way to move forward.

And yes of course, being critical should not be confused with being negative.

+ and -

Personally, I think that in numerous examples  Europe goes too far to 1 extreme, and Thailand goes too far to the other extreme.

Maybe we could both learn?

But perhaps that is asking too much, of both Europeans AND Thais?

I am not patriotic. Never understood that. So I am not loyal to any country.

I am loyal to some people in my life, immediate family/blood relatives. Nobody else. 

Probably won't stay here forever. If didn't have children here, I'd leave tomorrow. 

Kinda feel dumb for settling down here. Fun place to live as a single man, or (maybe) in a relationship without kids involved. Otherwise, it ain't got much going for it.

Edited by FruitPudding