60 day overstay?

• If you surrender at the airport you won't get banned. When the IO at passport control sees you have an overstay you'll be taken to the overstay desk to pay the 20,000 baht fine. They will stamp your passport showing the 60 day overstay and fine paid.
  • If you get caught before getting to the airport you could be arrested, detained, prosecuted, fined, deported and banned for 5 years.
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, elviajero said:
  • If you surrender at the airport you won't get banned. When the IO at passport control sees you have an overstay you'll be taken to the overstay desk to pay the 20,000 baht fine. They will stamp your passport showing the 60 day overstay and fine paid.
  • If you get caught before getting to the airport you could be arrested, detained, prosecuted, fined, deported and banned for 5 years.

Does an overstayer actually have to surrender to immigration at an airport? Can he not go to a local immigration office and surrender there?

3 minutes ago, Xircal said:

Does an overstayer actually have to surrender to immigration at an airport? Can he not go to a local immigration office and surrender there?

The Immigration website was telling people to surrender at border points and as far as I know that still applies. So technically, no, they can surrender at land and seaports too. 

4. If you have already overstayed beyond your permitted date before the order’s enforced date (20 March 2016), you may surrender to the authorities at the Immigration Checkpoint (land border, seaport, and airport). You must pay a fine of 500/day, but not exceeding 20,000 baht before you are allowed to leave the Kingdom of Thailand.

Source: http://www.immigration.go.th > More details

An overstayer could surrender at an Immigration Office, but I am almost certain they would be detained until flight time. Whether or not they would prosecute and ban someone under those circumstances is unknown. I wouldn't recommend anyone tries to find out and it is best to do it at the border.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Xircal said:

The complication is that a local immigration office cannot just collect the fine of 500 Baht per day, maximum 20,000 Baht and let him walk out to continue his overstay. It will have to lock him up in the Immigration Detention Centre (IDC), present him in court for sentencing and deportation order, then back to IDC until the court-ordered penalty, usually only a fine, has been paid and an airline ticket for a flight to the home country is produced. Finally, transportation to the airport under police guard and handing over to the flight captain. Additionally, a ban from entering Thailand again for a specific period is at the discretion of immigration.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, chipstack said:

Surendering at a land border is not advisable. There are immigration checkpoints before borders where officers will board your buss and check passports and remove overstayers.

Yes I've had that happen to me too actually. I was on a bus heading east to Sakaeo when the vehicle pulled over to a layby and three police officers boarded to check IDs. I'd only just arrived in the country at the time so it wasn't a problem for me.

13 hours ago, Maestro said:

The complication is that a local immigration office cannot just collect the fine of 500 Baht per day, maximum 20,000 Baht and let him walk out to continue his overstay. It will have to lock him up in the Immigration Detention Centre (IDC), present him in court for sentencing and deportation order, then back to IDC until the court-ordered penalty, usually only a fine, has been paid and an airline ticket for a flight to the home country is produced. Finally, transportation to the airport under police guard and handing over to the flight captain. Additionally, a ban from entering Thailand again for a specific period is at the discretion of immigration.

I was thinking along the lines that by admitting guilt so to speak by presenting yourself to immigration rather than risk being collared on your way to the airport was a better option. But from what you've said it looks like the trip to the airport is the better of the two since he might just make it to the terminal.