ramifications of reporting a death to British Embassy

prk888

unsure where this post should be

What does the Embassy do when a Brit  has died here?  For example is the NHI number used to eg stop state pensions and/or any benefits, (maybe?) close relevant bank accounts,  etc.  The question really is what has to be actioned here and then has to happen in the UK to be legal in the UK ?  Thanks

have reviewed the site referred to and thanks.  

No-one i know has passed yet but at our age it will happen.  Better to be prepared than panic at what will be a sad time for all involved.

So hence the post and any info on what the Embassy does will be distributed and stored for reference.

9 hours ago, lostinisaan said:

If you've got more details, please write some details here: http://www.farang-deaths.com/

Sorry that I can't answer your original OP> ...

The name of that website is a bit misleading - it does not just document "farang" deaths. I see people from China, Senegal, Japan and Hong Kong.

The name of that website is a bit misleading - it does not just document "farang" deaths. I see people from China, Senegal, Japan and Hong Kong.

I know Farang typically applies to people of 'European' descent; but doesn't it broadly refer to any foreigner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

41 minutes ago, Aussie69 said:

I know Farang typically applies to people of 'European' descent; but doesn't it broadly refer to any foreigner.

Some people use it that way, yes. But you are correct, it is caucasian people that it actually refers to.

The Thais have other names for people from other various places and skin tones.

24 minutes ago, clifric said:

I note from the website http://www.farang-deaths.com/ that Phuket Police have informed the US Consulate/Embassy in cases of 'farang' deaths. Does anybody know if this is a standard procedures across Thailand? A friend of mine in Bali is trying to establish which countries do this as a matter of course.

Yes it is. Often the Embassy or Consulate must provide a release form for matters to progress.

2 hours ago, blackcab said:

Yes it is. Often the Embassy or Consulate must provide a release form for matters to progress.

I specifically asked the US embassy about them delaying the disposition of my assets etc after death. They said if I had a Thai will made out specifying that my Thai heir should be allowed to take charge immediately without hindrance from the embassy, they would abide by that.

Not sure if they would notify such entities as Social Security to prevent postmortem payments being made.

A Very Good friend of mine died 3 years ago...he passed away in a government hospital.....the hospital told his wife to go to the local amphur and tell them he had died....at the amphur the amphur requested a letter from the doctor in the hospital...so my friends wife went back to the hospital got a letter saying her husband had died....the amphur contacted the british embassy....and my friends wife got a phone call from the british embassy next day....his uk government pension was stopped from that date....what happened next i am not sure......if you can make a will....please do.....as my friends thai family and his kids in the uk are still fighting over his small pot of money...

Edited by nongsangcity
spelling

6 hours ago, nongsangcity said:

.....if you can make a will....please do.....as my friends thai family and his kids in the uk are still fighting over his small pot of money...

And where there,s a will there,s a relative.........:sad:

35 minutes ago, nongsangcity said:

A Very Good friend of mine died 3 years ago...he passed away in a government hospital.....the hospital told his wife to go to the local amphur and tell them he had died....at the amphur the amphur requested a letter from the doctor in the hospital...so my friends wife went back to the hospital got a letter saying her husband had died....the amphur contacted the british embassy....and my friends wife got a phone call from the british embassy next day....his uk government pension was stopped from that date....what happened next i am not sure......if you can make a will....please do.....as my friends thai family and his kids in the uk are still fighting over his small pot of money...

IMO, ( having thought about it since I made a will at some expense ) open a combined bank account and put all the money you want Thai wife to have into it, but don't let her have the book. Then tell her in the event of your death to take everything out before notifying anyone as they put a hold on the bank accounts.

Of course, if you want anyone else in Thailand to share you would have to make a will.

That way, if you had to find money, you could still use that account yourself, but in the normal course you wouldn't touch it.

18 hours ago, lostinisaan said:

If you've got more details, please write some details here: http://www.farang-deaths.com/

Sorry that I can't answer your original OP> ...

Sad sad website......myself,... I was mediating of late about what are the important things in life and what are,  simply put,  the trivial bulls - - -  things I used to spend a lot of my time focusing on. More than lightly it is due to my getting old(er) now that a certain "enlightenment" has entered my spirit. I have taken steps to correct this (giving as much as I can afford to to those near and dear to me) and being kinder to myself ....I have to tell you....the results were instant. A certain pride and dignity has been restored to me that had been dwaining. I am beginning to enjoy the beautiful feeling of being "at peace with myself"....Life is beautiful and I welcome each glorious day that I have blessed to receive.

I'm English.  

You must inform the UK Embassy as it's possible the  temple will not cremate the body without a release form from the Embassy.

You do not have to register the death formally at the Embassy.  It's expensive and just gets you a mention in "Died Abroad" registers in the UK.

Unless you're really rich don't ask for the body to be sent home.  It's expensive.

You must inform the local immigration office.  They will want the departure card from the passport.

Tell your widow to pay the hospital bill if you die there.  They will not release the body otherwise.

Make a will.  Loads of information on TV about that.  (And a fair few arguments too!)

Any money you want your wife to have put in a joint account.  From experience  Kasikorn Bank will not change a single name account to joint account, you'll have to open a joint account and transfer money into it then close the single name account.  Or maybe they were just having a bad day.

Write down a list of home contacts for your wife,  email addresses, snail mail addresses and 'phone numbers.

Write down a list of your pension/insurance companies too.

At the moment (it may change next year) the widow is entitled to bereavement benefits from the government.  Get the form downloaded and fill in as much as possible for her (BB1 form).

Get three or four Thai death certificates and have them officially translated.  She''ll need them.

If you have a UK state pension your widow can no longer claim on the strength of that.  But if you also have a private one  then she may be able to claim a portion of it.  Check the pension company handbook for details.  My wife will be able to claim 50% of my private one and I have already sent them a copy of our wedding certificate and my wife's birth certificate so they know we're married.  They acknowledged them and returned the docs.  Keep the acknowledgement letter!  Think where the pension payment will go in future.  A joint UK bank account?  They'll need to know to take your name off.

Keep all of this data in a folder, tell your wife where it is, and keep it up to date.

Your circumstances might vary from mine, more paperwork or less.

1 hour ago, Davehappen said:

What a load of bother, why can't you die in peace anymore??????

dying (peaceful or otherwise) is not the problem, it's the possible unholy mess created afterwards for someone else (for whom you may care) to sweep up

1 hour ago, Davehappen said:

What a load of bother, why can't you die in peace anymore??????

dying (peaceful or otherwise) is not the problem, it's the possible unholy mess created afterwards for someone else (for whom you may care) to sweep up

15 hours ago, lungbing said:

I'm English.  

You must inform the UK Embassy as it's possible the  temple will not cremate the body without a release form from the Embassy.

You do not have to register the death formally at the Embassy.  It's expensive and just gets you a mention in "Died Abroad" registers in the UK.

Unless you're really rich don't ask for the body to be sent home.  It's expensive.

You must inform the local immigration office.  They will want the departure card from the passport.

Tell your widow to pay the hospital bill if you die there.  They will not release the body otherwise.

Make a will.  Loads of information on TV about that.  (And a fair few arguments too!)

Any money you want your wife to have put in a joint account.  From experience  Kasikorn Bank will not change a single name account to joint account, you'll have to open a joint account and transfer money into it then close the single name account.  Or maybe they were just having a bad day.

Write down a list of home contacts for your wife,  email addresses, snail mail addresses and 'phone numbers.

At the moment (it may change next year) the widow is entitled to bereavement benefits from the government.  Get the form downloaded and fill in as much as possible for her (BB1 form).

Get three or four Thai death certificates and have them officially translated.  She''ll need them.

If you have a UK state pension your widow can no longer claim on the strength of that.  But if you also have a private one  then she may be able to claim a portion of it.  Check the pension company handbook for details.  My wife will be able to claim 50% of my private one and I have already sent them a copy of our wedding certificate and my wife's birth certificate so they know we're married.  They acknowledged them and returned the docs.  Keep the acknowledgement letter!  Think where the pension payment will go in future.  A joint UK bank account?  They'll need to know to take your name off.

Keep all of this data in a folder, tell your wife where it is, and keep it up to date.

Thanks for your valuable info. I knew about half of the points you mentioned, but never thought about the others. Thank you!!

On ‎9‎/‎29‎/‎2016 at 10:20 AM, Aussie69 said:

On ‎9‎/‎29‎/‎2016 at 11:03 AM, muzmurray said:

Some people use it that way, yes. But you are correct, it is caucasian people that it actually refers to.

The Thais have other names for people from other various places and skin tones.

That's right; the term farang - from the Farsi word farangi - has been part of the Thai lexicon since the early 15th century.

On ‎29‎.‎09‎.‎2016 at 7:25 PM, lungbing said:

I'm English.  

Hmmmm. If I am fortunate enough to die in LOS, there will be no one to claim my body, so what happens in that situation?

Far as I'm concerned they can cremate me with the hospital waste- a dead body is just a lump of decomposing meat- the spirit has long gone, and funerals are only for the living.

On 9/30/2016 at 5:00 AM, Aussie69 said:

Its from a Farsi word? I thought it was based on the sound of their pronunciation of "foreigner"

The first (or there abouts) westerners to visit Thailand were French and called "Farangseht", this was eventually applied to all westerners and shortened to"Farang".

Check Google Translate and click on speaker to get pronunciation.

Falang.JPG

Edited by riceyummm

On 9/29/2016 at 5:25 AM, lungbing said:

I'm English.  

Thanks, very helpful, copy and paste in my "Prepare to die folder".