Chinese Tour Bus Rolls Into Our Private Road

LivinginKata

Yesterday we residents were all amazed to see a tour bus in our road. But it started backing up so we all thought it made a wrong turn. But no ... next thing we saw hoards of Chinese tourists entering apartments in the condo opposite us. These are privately owned condos by multiple owners .... this is a very bad sign for us owner locals.

We have had plenty of independent Chinese travellers ... but never a full tour group.

A dozen of your neighbors are stocking up wholesale on powdered milk, baby formula, fancy Thai rice and other things the Chinese will be packing back home with them.

Opportunity knocks...  Not everyone answers the door.

Edit:  If it were me, I'd be looking into renting them bicycles.  Coming in on a bus, they're stuck with no transport.  In the recent past, bicycles were how they all got around back home.  They desperately want to go shopping here, and providing them with the means would be filling a market gap.  Scooters?  Not a chance.  You'd be scraping them off the pavement.  They don't have gasoline scooters in big cities back home.

Edited by impulse

Yesterday we residents were all amazed to see a tour bus in our road. But it started backing up so we all thought it made a wrong turn. But no ... next thing we saw hoards of Chinese tourists entering apartments in the condo opposite us. These are privately owned condos by multiple owners .... this is a very bad sign for us owner locals.

We have had plenty of independent Chinese travellers ... but never a full tour group.

Report them.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

14 minutes ago, impulse said:

A dozen of your neighbors are stocking up wholesale on powdered milk, baby formula, fancy Thai rice and other things the Chinese will be packing back home with them.

Opportunity knocks...  Not everyone answers the door.

Edit:  If it were me, I'd be looking into renting them bicycles.  Coming in on a bus, they're stuck with no transport.  In the recent past, bicycles were how they all got around back home.  They desperately want to go shopping here, and providing them with the means would be filling a market gap.  Scooters?  Not a chance.  You'd be scraping them off the pavement.  They don't have gasoline scooters in big cities back home.

I was thinking you should install some vending machines selling mama noodles.

If you cannot beat them join them, just about the only accommodation businesses making money at present are catering to chinese tourists and there are plenty doing it

Just make sure you have plenty of tea money available

If its your private road just put a guard and barrier on it and solve the problem, and charge them a entrance fee 

Edited by madmax2

50 minutes ago, madmax2 said:

If you cannot beat them join them, just about the only accommodation businesses making money at present are catering to chinese tourists and there are plenty doing it

If its your private road just put a guard and barrier on it and solve the problem, and charge them a entrance fee 

Key money for what?

2 hours ago, madmax2 said:

It's not my personal private road. The road is owned by the developer and all the residences have permission to use the road, including those renting out apartments for the night.  Get's back to the issue of owners renting by the night without a hotel licence.

At least the minimart on our road might make some extra sales ...

My point of the topic was to highlight how much these coach tours are permeating into residential areas. 

Isn't there a minimum duration that someone can rent a 'private' accommodation?

That's why add my Vote to the Reporting them - as it just might work...

... but the Chinese are really smart as foxes:

a tour bus holds 50

Chinese populace has many different names, but picking a token set List of 50 names,

might let them cover the naming variations of new tourists coming through

Mr and Mrs Lim, Wan, Zhing etc etc

and tying to make it seem like it is the same people are there for a longer period

1 hour ago, tifino said:

Isn't there a minimum duration that someone can rent a 'private' accommodation?

That's why add my Vote to the Reporting them - as it just might work...

... but the Chinese are really smart as foxes:

a tour bus holds 50

Chinese populace has many different names, but picking a token set List of 50 names,

might let them cover the naming variations of new tourists coming through

Mr and Mrs Lim, Wan, Zhing etc etc

and tying to make it seem like it is the same people are there for a longer period

What about if Xinhua tours books the rooms/apartments for 3 months at a time?  Does the law apply to "friends" that stay?

7 minutes ago, steelepulse said:

What about if Xinhua tours books the rooms/apartments for 3 months at a time?  Does the law apply to "friends" that stay?

well, every individual foreigner that turns up is supposed to be reported upon Arrival aren't they?

3 minutes ago, tifino said:

well, every individual foreigner that turns up is supposed to be reported upon Arrival aren't they?

Absolutely, but what does that have to do with a bunch of random Chinese showing up at the condos?  Point is, what does the law say about having "friends" stay at your condo whether they are reported or not if the tour group rents out the condo for 3 months? Raise you hand if you truly believe that these tour groups are reporting on their Chinese tourists that are here for 4-5 days.

well, it seems we already know it's not happening:

but individual friends visiting and bunking in for a bit of catch up time with friends or family ,

is a little different to being a part of a  bunch of organised tour participants...

a parallel, to demonstate similar principle to divide the two:

• a person who voluntarily picks up a piece of litter from the ground, (tolerated)
  • is a little different to a volunteer participating in an organised Litter day (work permit needed)

maybe get your friendly neighbours to join in,

and place a lot of witches hats and chairs on the street,

- before the bus man does

Is the street getting blocked, I should have asked earlier?

Can anyone answer this? Busloads of Chinese tourists gather daily at a strip of shops on a main road in Bangkok. I have seen upwards of 10-15 buses there at any one time, completely blocking one lane of a busy 2 lane road. The shops appear to sell Chinese foodstuffs etc, and there is a Chinese restaurant.

Why on earth would you visit another country to buy home produce and dine at your home style restaurant? Beats me :jap:

1 hour ago, ebonykap said:

Can anyone answer this? Busloads of Chinese tourists gather daily at a strip of shops on a main road in Bangkok. I have seen upwards of 10-15 buses there at any one time, completely blocking one lane of a busy 2 lane road. The shops appear to sell Chinese foodstuffs etc, and there is a Chinese restaurant.

Why on earth would you visit another country to buy home produce and dine at your home style restaurant? Beats me :jap:

"Why on earth would you visit another country to buy home produce and dine at your home style restaurant?" - because they get a very cheap holiday, under the proviso they stay / spend in Chinese owned businesses.

24 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

You haven't said why having Chinese staying in your street, not even in your building, is a problem.

Why is it a problem?

"Why is it a problem?" - there goes the neighborhood.  :)  

Property devaluation is one reason.  Traffic and parking another.   

16 hours ago, LivinginKata said:

I would rather they bugger off.

I'd rather stay young forever.  But while I'm waiting for that miracle potion, I'm prepping for it anyway.  I suspect we both have about the same odds of getting our druthers.