Ridicule and pity of Americans abroad ...

Jingthing

2 minutes ago, amykat said:

YOU SAID ...all your neighbors, "married to THAI WIVES" ....please read about "selection bias"

Please read about Sexism ...I did not invent it.  Most of you Western men, moved here to profit from it specifically. You write about in this very website.  But of course deny it at times like this. 

I came here for the deep fried vegetable fritters, but the girls ain't half bad

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

9 minutes ago, OMGImInPattaya said:

It's because many people around the world realize that elections in America, and who the American president is, has more effect on their lives than the votes they cast for their own leaders.

No, it's because it's on the news all day long, everyday for 18 months. It's impossible to avoid. We don't care about the result as much you think, and that's just you thinking you're more important that you actually are... which is a typical American personality disorder.

It's just a show for us, like watching a game of football and taking a side.

Go Trump! 

6 minutes ago, tropo said:

No, it's because it's on the news all day long, everyday for 18 months. It's impossible to avoid. We don't care about the result as much you think, and that's just you thinking you're more important that you actually are... which is a typical American personality disorder.

It's just a show for us, like watching a game of football and taking a side.

Go Trump! 

Your anti-Americanism is showing...it's not what I think, it's what I've heard people say when they've been quoted in news reports on this topic.

22 minutes ago, amykat said:

YOU SAID ...all your neighbors, "married to THAI WIVES" ....please read about "selection bias"

Please read about Sexism ...I did not invent it.  Most of you Western men, moved here to profit from it specifically. You write about in this very website.  But of course deny it at times like this. 

So - the person we select to vote for isn't based on the individual; but your sexist escapism.....Oddly enough, I must be voting incorrectly then.....I thought we voted on track record, qualifications, the promise for a better future, integrity, stamina, intellect, problem solving skills, beliefs, stability.....

But you've just told me how and why  - myself and people I happen to know, vote ........ 

How prescient of you.....And very eminently sexist.....

Here - saved you the trouble....Since you brought it up....

IMG_20161003_165518.jpg

42 minutes ago, OMGImInPattaya said:

It's because many people around the world realize that elections in America, and who the American president is, has more effect on their lives than the votes they cast for their own leaders.

Yawn 

24 minutes ago, OMGImInPattaya said:

Your anti-Americanism is showing...it's not what I think, it's what I've heard people say when they've been quoted in news reports on this topic.

I'm not anti-American, but there are quite a few Americans on this forum that I find unpleasant. I like Trump, does that make me anti-American now?

The presidential election is a show. Place your bets please! You can bet online with dozens of bookmakers... and I'm sure the majority of betters are Americans. Keep an eye on the latest odds on oddschecker.com. Trump 2, Clinton 1/3. (average over dozens of bookmakers).

No one will deny this is the best show you've put on, ever.

The presidential term is 4 years. 1.5 years is spent campaigning for the next general election. So whoever wins will be spending 37.5% of their term campaigning to win again. Do you not see the absurdity in this? That's no way to govern a country. Presidents come and go - the system is your enemy.

Edited by tropo

2 hours ago, anotheruser said:

Exactly a bunch of people who live in glass houses that are throwing stones. they gleefully talk about the demise of the USA with out a second thought where that would leave their own country. 

Y'all gotta look at positively as taking the heat off Obama. In fact some might the two candidates make him look pretty good, 

10 minutes ago, silent said:

Y'all gotta look at positively as taking the heat off Obama. In fact some might the two candidates make him look pretty good, 

Obama  is not an embarrassment to Americans. He's intellectually brilliant and electing him two times proved that Americans weren't as racist as many people thought. Of course he didn't perform perfectly but what president has? 

But now there is a backlash coming from one side, a very severe one, and to many of us Americans, that is something to be embarrassed about for our country, regardless of who we support. 

More generally things for Americans to be embarrassed about now --

Yes, this election has to got to be the LONGEST in U.S. history.

Yes, this election has got to be SLEAZIEST in U.S. history.

Yes, the "debates" are more like reality t.v. than sober true debates of important issues.

(More so now as one choice was a reality t.v. star, which is an absurdity in itself.)

Yes, even though lesser of two evil elections are not uncommon in the U.S. or other countries, in this case, it is EXTREME, as both choices are so very personally unpopular (regardless of their ideologies, if you can figure out what they really are, which many may be attracted to otherwise).

So the question how can such a large great nation which clearly has plenty of brilliant educated people, come down to a choice of these two particular (clearly less than the best of the best) people? There isn't a good answer. It is embarrassing. 

Edited by Jingthing

3 minutes ago, tropo said:

I'm not anti-American, but there are quite a few Americans on this forum that I find unpleasant.

The presidential election is a show. Place your bets please! You can bet online with dozens of bookmakers... and I'm sure the majority of betters are Americans. Keep an eye on the latest odds on oddschecker.com. Trump 2, Clinton 1/3. (average over dozens of bookmakers).

The presidential term is 4 years. 1.5 years is spent campaigning for the next general election. So whoever wins will be spending 37.5% of their term campaigning to win again. Do you not see the absurdity in this? That's no way to govern a country. Presidents come and go - the system is your enemy.

The question we were both responding to was why the worldwide interest in American elections. You posited that it was because of the extensive media circus surrounding the lenghty campaign period, while I argued it was because who the president is, and the policies that are decided in Washington D.C., have an outsize, and often direct, effect on the lives (and deaths) of people around the world. I still think mine is the better argument but I could be wrong.

As for the process itself, it may not be pretty but it usually comes up with a good White House occupant in the end.

1 hour ago, pgrahmm said:

I think it is pretty clear to all people that there exists men in the world who will be biased against any woman being President.

I made a statement that your particular group of self selected European older men, who moved to Thailand, and are all married to Thai women, (who you claim are all highly educated and all support Trump) might suffer from this bias.

You cannot admit that this bias even exists in the world apparently and are going off on some kind of crazy rant.  A reasonable person, would just say "why yes, maybe some of them could be biased, good point ...on the other hand ....blah, blah, blah.

I guess you are Trump-like through and through ...will you be tweeting about this later???

I am going to disengage now to save everyone else on this thread ...please don't embarrass us Americans anymore and also disengage!!

There is a definite and growing sense that america has slipped a few notches in international standing….which isn't isn't all to do with the election candidates.

Among the factors that have delivered this humbling blow:

1. Crooks running their financial system…running free to cripple the world economy doing exactly as they please like they own the government.

2. Disastrous foreign policy resulting in crazy wars and destruction of life/property….a totally disproportionate response to the tragedy that befell them on 9/11. Creating a far unsafer world.

3. One standard for themselves….a separate one for the rest of the world…..the masters of double standards. In just about every sphere of activity. We can pollute the environment through fracking but china cant pollute…..etc.

4. Economic policies that suck up to corporations who paid them instead of serving the people who voted for them

I don't think anyone would embarrass an american by bringing this up since its not the average americans fault….but there are sniggers galore.

Edited by JHolmesJr

4 minutes ago, JHolmesJr said:

There is a definite and growing sense that america has slipped a few notches in international standing….which isn't isn't all to do with the election candidates

But this HOT MESS of an election didn't emerge out of a social and political vacuum. So you're saying it is nothing to do with this election doesn't really cut it. 

Edited by Jingthing

I don't think Americans in particular should feel embarrassed by the low quality of their political contenders. After all there are few countries that have politicians of any worth. Most countries have two party systems where the parties have really morphed into the same fascist ideology with marginal and largely inconsequential differences.

All I find interesting is that those that actually rule aren't even bothering to put forward candidates of any value, its as if they don't even care any more, that could also be viewed as worrying. It's like the facade for some reason doesn't matter any more, it certainly isn't because voters are more astute.

1 minute ago, Jingthing said:

But this HOT MESS of an election didn't emerge out of a social and political vacuum. So you're saying it is nothing to do with this election doesn't really cut it. 

the topic is not where the election situation emerged from but the possible reasons for ridicule and pity of americans abroad….the election is just the manifestation….the reasons it has come to this are what I mentioned.

4 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Obama  is not an embarrassment to Americans. He's intellectually brilliant and electing him two times proved that Americans weren't as racist as many people thought. Of course he didn't perform perfectly but what president has? 

But now there is a backlash coming from one side, a very severe one, and to many of us Americans, that is something to be embarrassed about for our country, regardless of who we support. 

More generally thing to be embarrassed about --

Yes, this election has to got to be the LONGEST in U.S. history.

Yes, this election has got to be SLEAZIEST in U.S. history.

Yes, even though lesser of two evil elections are not uncommon in the U.S. or other countries, in this case, it is EXTREME, as both choices are so very personally unpopular (regardless of their ideologies which many may be attracted to otherwise).

So the question how can such a large great nation which clearly has plenty of brilliant educated people, come down to a choice of these two particular people? There isn't a good answer. It is embarrassing. 

Actually I'm not old enough to remember when US elections weren't on par with watching SNL, but don't take it too much to heart. I'm just disappointed that Rob Ford never got a chance to run against Trudeau with his nose for finding weapons of self destruction like the Donald can.

3 minutes ago, JHolmesJr said:

the topic is not where the election situation emerged from but the possible reasons for ridicule and pity of americans abroad….the election is just the manifestation….the reasons it has come to this are what I mentioned.

OK, fair enough, but this probably the most BIZARRE election in American history has massively AMPLIFIED any attitudes about the U.S.

This is an election where late night "twitter eruptions" are a thing.

It's all so divorced from reality.

I think Americans should not only feel justifiably embarrassed (and if ridiculed take it as DESERVED) but they should be VERY WORRIED for the future of our nation. 

Edited by Jingthing

1 minute ago, JHolmesJr said:

It's not your fault.

Not personally, but collectively as CITIZENS, I think Americans have FAILED. That we have these two choices. That the election is so sleazy. That the truth about anything is irrelevant. The founders knew the citizens needed to hold up their end of the bargain to make it work and that democracy is fragile and not a sure thing. They weren't fooling. 

5 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

It's all so divorced from reality.

but that is the problem. American reality is not the rest of the world's reality. That is why US foreign policy has been a total disaster for the rest of the world. 

As for the process itself, it may not be pretty but it usually comes up with a good White House occupant in the end.

So, you consider either Trump or Clinton a good White House occupant, or is this the exception to the rule?

31 minutes ago, amykat said:

I think it is pretty clear to all people that there exists men in the world who will be biased against any woman being President.

And there exists women in the world who will be biased against any man being President. :shock1:

However, most men will definitely support Ivanka Trump for President, no problem. :)

The USA election has nothing to do with why the interest on anything American...it's called still being the 800 IB gorilla on the world stage thank you WW2....

But it  was great stomping that pissy Rory on Sunday. Is is true Rory going to sign a  Budwiser endorsement contract next week?

Edited by cardinalblue

20 minutes ago, JSixpack said:

And there exists women in the world who will be biased against any man being President. :shock1:

However, most men will definitely support Ivanka Trump for President, no problem. :)

Really?  I haven't met any yet.  I do really like Ivanka a lot also.  She must be the best Trump by far!

16 minutes ago, amykat said:

Really?  I haven't met any yet.  I do really like Ivanka a lot also.  She must be the best Trump by far!

You gotta poll all your lesbian friends. If Trump gets elected hopefully he'll often bring out Ivanka and give her some meaningful role. She really helps balance out his rough edges.

Well, I'm a Brit and someone (can't remember who) famously warned that voting for Brexit would mean Brits could never ridicule Americans ever again. Whoever said it, I agree. We've not got a leg to stand on. However, the idea that Americans should be ridiculed and/or pitied has often come from U.S. comedians and writers, I hasten to add. The ever-popular Bill Bryson is one example of the type of Americans who have propagated this myth and it really catches on with Brits.