webfact

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, stander said:

It's a great day for democracy. Teresa May confirms Brexit will commence early next year and Hungary rejects Brussels diktat on refugees.

Wrong on every point!

You should get a prize!

Well now a date has been set but the timing is hardly impressive.  The two most influential members of the EU are having elections later on next year so there is going to be no appetite for any negotiations or commitments until that has happened.  It is true that the UK want to negotiate new trade deals outside of the EU and they will be making headway with that.  However that is not going to be easy when the relevant countries  are not going to know where we stand until the EU negotiations are over.  Bearing in mind no agreements are possible with the EU until after we have left that means that it will be at least two and a half years before the picture is clear.  Until then we are bound by the EU regulations so no immediate change is in sight.

Britain will come through it OK but because there are more than two tears to go before the divorce nobody yet knows just how messy this is going to be.

7 minutes ago, dunroaming said:

Well now a date has been set but the timing is hardly impressive.  The two most influential members of the EU are having elections later on next year so there is going to be no appetite for any negotiations or commitments until that has happened.  It is true that the UK want to negotiate new trade deals outside of the EU and they will be making headway with that.  However that is not going to be easy when the relevant countries  are not going to know where we stand until the EU negotiations are over.  Bearing in mind no agreements are possible with the EU until after we have left that means that it will be at least two and a half years before the picture is clear.  Until then we are bound by the EU regulations so no immediate change is in sight.

Britain will come through it OK but because there are more than two tears to go before the divorce nobody yet knows just how messy this is going to be.

"More than two tears" indeed!

Mrs Malaprop couldn't have put it better...?

28 minutes ago, Grouse said:

"More than two tears" indeed!

Mrs Malaprop couldn't have put it better...?

Oops!

I think that it is safe to say there will be far more tears than years before we are clear of all this.

I won't edit the post though.

5 minutes ago, stander said:

It´s time now to look at all those who forecast disaster for leaving the EU and fire them for having rotten judgement, remainers are anti British and have no place in the UK government.

That'll be Cameron Osborne and May then.  Well Cameron and Osborne have gone and May is orchestrating brexit using the brexiteers so it's hard to see your logic?

6 minutes ago, stander said:

It´s time now to look at all those who forecast disaster for leaving the EU and fire them for having rotten judgement, remainers are anti British and have no place in the UK government.

You are obviously and blissfully unaware of reality

Have you any idea how much Famous Grouse it takes to get me into the same state?

I won't disturb your reverie by explaining the situation for you ?

QUOTE OF THE DAY

‘We are not leaving the European Union only to give up control of immigration again...We are going to be a fully independent, sovereign country—a country that is no longer part of a political union with supranational institutions that can override national parliaments and courts.’

—British Prime Minister Theresa May signaled that the U.K. would pursue a clear break from the European Union, saying that the U.K. would trigger the process of disentangling from the bloc by the end of March.

21 minutes ago, stander said:

QUOTE OF THE DAY

‘We are not leaving the European Union only to give up control of immigration again...We are going to be a fully independent, sovereign country—a country that is no longer part of a political union with supranational institutions that can override national parliaments and courts.’

—British Prime Minister Theresa May signaled that the U.K. would pursue a clear break from the European Union, saying that the U.K. would trigger the process of disentangling from the bloc by the end of March.

Yes and that statement meant the pound once again fell and today sits at £1.00 = $1.29.  Worse still for the poor Brit ex-pats in Thailand where it shows at 42 baht = £1.00

Along with May's announcement today Hammond warned that it was going to be a hard ride with brexit.   Taking the hard brexit approach may well backfire. Time will tell. Fasten your seatbelt!

1 hour ago, stander said:

QUOTE OF THE DAY

To return sovereignty to the executive,bypassing parliament using secondary legislation. 

1 hour ago, dunroaming said:

Yes and that statement meant the pound once again fell and today sits at £1.00 = $1.29.  Worse still for the poor Brit ex-pats in Thailand where it shows at 42 baht = £1.00

Along with May's announcement today Hammond warned that it was going to be a hard ride with brexit.   Taking the hard brexit approach may well backfire. Time will tell. Fasten your seatbelt!

42 THB/GBP. Can you show me where you got that figure from.

I looked at this site 2 minutes ago.

https://daytodaydata.net/default.aspx

Only Siam Commercial Bank is showing less than 44THB and their rate is 43.991THB

and this one too

http://www.xe.com/currencyconverter/convert/?Amount=1&From=GBP&To=THB

3 hours ago, billd766 said:

42 THB/GBP. Can you show me where you got that figure from.

I looked at this site 2 minutes ago.

https://daytodaydata.net/default.aspx

Only Siam Commercial Bank is showing less than 44THB and their rate is 43.991THB

and this one too

http://www.xe.com/currencyconverter/convert/?Amount=1&From=GBP&To=THB

Thanks for that.  It came from Bangkok Bank today when my wife transferred money from the UK to her Thai account.  I will tell her to check the other banks first.  However do you think that 43.99 baht is OK? No problem for me as most of the time I am sending money from Thailand but if you live there and the traffic is the other way.....

7 hours ago, stander said:

QUOTE OF THE DAY

Of course you can be fully independent: that's your prerogative.

But just remember that the economy will suffer with multinationals packing up and moving lock,  stock and barrel to the continent. That will send the Pound into freefall. We've already seen what happened to Sterling this morning when May made her announcement: 1% knocked off its value already even though Britain is still part of the EU at this moment in time. What d'you think is going to happen to it when the UK does leave?

A fall in the value of the Pound makes exports cheaper but imports more expensive. Since Britain imports more than it exports the economy will suffer from rising inflation and taxes will increase significantly.

You can trade with other countries but it won't encourage companies like Nissan to remain in the UK if the country loses access to the single market. Similarly, Britain will lose its passporting rights as well which will result in a loss of prestige in the City as well as massive job losses as finance houses move to Amsterdam, Frankfurt and Paris.

I predict that May will consider the consequences of rejecting free movement of workers as untenable if it means that the country will suffer too much and they'll be a quiet little U-turn with life returning to normal once more. The only real difference will be that Britain will no longer be a member of the EU and will have lost the all important negotiating position it once held. This means it will have to accept EU directives without being able to object to their content if it wishes to have continued access to the single market.

Also it will no longer qualify for EU subsidies but will still have to contribute to EU budget albeit at a lower figure than it pays at the moment.

Will you still be singing "Happy days are here again" when that turn of events take place? I think not.

34 minutes ago, Xircal said:

Of course you can be fully independent: that's your prerogative.

A fall in the value of the Pound makes exports cheaper but imports more expensive. Since Britain imports more than it exports the economy will suffer from rising inflation and taxes will increase significantly.

Also it will no longer qualify for EU subsidies but will still have to contribute to EU budget albeit at a lower figure than it pays at the moment.

Will you still be singing "Happy days are here again" when that turn of events take place? I think not.

Why  would an increase in the price of imports affect taxes? In fact UK has a very big balance of payments deficit,  therefore import inflation is a good thing. It will act to rebalance the economy. 

UK always paid more in than received from the eu,  especially after labour gave away our exemption. We aren't going to negotiate some kind of Norway type deal our economy is far larger & negotiating position stronger.

It will likely be academic anyway when Netherlands,  or Austria or maybe even France get their own referendum.

EU farming subsidies could be diverted to NHS after Brexit, says Theresa May adviser'

Some of the billions of pounds handed to farmers every year could be diverted to cash-strapped hospitals after Britain leaves the European Union, Theresa May’s top policy adviser has said.

George Freeman MP, who chairs the Prime Minister’s policy board, said once people realised how much cash was spent on farming subsidies they would want it to be diverted to hospitals, unless ministers made a strong case for how the money was spent.

Mr Freeman was speaking hours before Andrea Leadsom, the Environment secretary, confirmed at the party's annual conference in Birmingham that the Government was committed to keeping farming subsidies at their current level until 2020.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/10/03/billions-of-farming-subsidies-could-be-diverted-to-nhs-after-bre/

3 minutes ago, stander said:

Some of the billions of pounds handed to farmers every year could be diverted to cash-strapped hospitals after Britain leaves the European Union, Theresa May’s top policy adviser has said.

Some of those Billions are paid to farmers to keep their fields empty.

For  some the gravy train is about to end.

They now have about 2 years to get those empty fields operational and start producing produce that the UK is currently importing.

Britain's food self-sufficiency at risk from reliance on overseas imports of fruit and vegetables that could be produced at home

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/britains-food-self-sufficiency-at-risk-from-reliance-on-overseas-imports-of-fruit-and-vegetables-9574238.html

28 minutes ago, stander said:

What a great idea! Where have I heard something like that before?

160627070351-boris-johnson-nhs-pledge-780x439.jpg

11 hours ago, dunroaming said:

Thanks for that.  It came from Bangkok Bank today when my wife transferred money from the UK to her Thai account.  I will tell her to check the other banks first.  However do you think that 43.99 baht is OK? No problem for me as most of the time I am sending money from Thailand but if you live there and the traffic is the other way.....

No I don't think that 43.991 is OK but I have lived here with less income and a worse exchange rate.

Tell your wife to transfer Thai baht from the UK and not GBP and she should get a better rate.

8 hours ago, ace said:

Why  would an increase in the price of imports affect taxes? In fact UK has a very big balance of payments deficit,  therefore import inflation is a good thing. It will act to rebalance the economy. 

UK always paid more in than received from the eu,  especially after labour gave away our exemption. We aren't going to negotiate some kind of Norway type deal our economy is far larger & negotiating position stronger.

It will likely be academic anyway when Netherlands,  or Austria or maybe even France get their own referendum.

Increased price of imports leaves less disposable income to spend on other products resulting in lower tax intake. It is a simplistic story to assume a hey presto economy shift. As for welcoming import inflation just another example of delusional voodoo economics from some of the brexit crowd subsisting on nationalist claptrap. Not that any of this should matter too much to expats in Thailand other than the fact that sterling will be even further driven down. Run!

Edited by SheungWan

44 minutes ago, billd766 said:

No I don't think that 43.991 is OK but I have lived here with less income and a worse exchange rate.

Tell your wife to transfer Thai baht from the UK and not GBP and she should get a better rate.

A better rate buying baht in the UK rather than Thailand? I don't think so.

7 minutes ago, SheungWan said:

Increased price of imports leaves less disposable income to spend on other products resulting in lower tax intake. It is a simplistic story to assume a hey presto economy shift. As for welcoming import inflation just another example of delusional voodoo economics from some of the brexit crowd. Not that any of this matters too much to expats in Thailand other than the fact that sterling will be even further driven down. Run!

Correct but pointless trying to explain this to Brexiteer numpties looking forward to the sunlit uplands of a truely independent England & Wales.

I note that "business representatives" on Today are already baying for more "flexible" employment laws "like they have in China and USA"!  Poor C2, Ds, they don't even see what's coming. Snuggle up to nice Mrs May and keep away from the big bad EU wolf!

Cable now at 30 year low! Great ?

12 hours ago, ace said:

Perhaps I should have said that prices rises will indirectly cause tax rises. Price rises mean that people have less money to spend and therefore the Chancellor receives less revenue from VAT. Increasing taxation is a means of compensating for the loss.

Britain did pay more into the EU than it received but richer countries are expected to contrtibute more to balance the contributions from poorer nations. That's only fair after all.

The Netherlands is one of the six countries which created the concept of a single market in 1957 so it's highly unlikely that it withdraw from something it created. The Dutch government has in any event dimissed any move towards a referendum. Likewise, the other five countries which are Belgium, France, Germany, Italy and Luxembourg are all part of the top tier group of rich countries which form part of the EU. Unless you're talking about minority parties like the French National Front none of these have expressed any desire to leave the EU.

Britain can try and negotiate a deal so that it can remain in the single market but it's important to understand that any one of the other 27 member nations can veto the agreement if it feel that it will be unfavourable towards them. The Visegrad Four comprising of Hungary, Poland, the Czech Republic and Slovakia has already made it crystal clear that free movement of workers is set in stone and that they will veto any deal which doesn't include it.

9 hours ago, stander said:

EU farming subsidies could be diverted to NHS after Brexit, says Theresa May adviser'

George Freeman MP, who chairs the Prime Minister’s policy board, said once people realised how much cash was spent on farming subsidies they would want it to be diverted to hospitals, unless ministers made a strong case for how the money was spent.

Mr Freeman was speaking hours before Andrea Leadsom, the Environment secretary, confirmed at the party's annual conference in Birmingham that the Government was committed to keeping farming subsidies at their current level until 2020.

Don't be fooled by that. After all, back in 2013 Britain fought hard to keep farm subsidies: https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2013/jul/01/farm-subsidies-blatant-transfer-of-cash-to-rich

22 minutes ago, Xircal said:

Don't be fooled by that. After all, back in 2013 Britain fought hard to keep farm subsidies: https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2013/jul/01/farm-subsidies-blatant-transfer-of-cash-to-rich

The following should shed some light on farm subsidies and politics

https://www.euractiv.com/section/uk-europe/news/uk-consistently-waters-down-reforms-of-eu-farming-subsidies/

FREE SPEECH CRACKDOWN: Europe tells British press NOT to reveal if terrorists are Muslims

MEDDLING Brussels has said the British press should not report when terrorists are Muslims in a slew of demands to the Government to crack down on the media.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/717627/free-speech-crackdown-EU-report-British-press-hate-crime-violence-terror

19 minutes ago, stander said:

FREE SPEECH CRACKDOWN: Europe tells British press NOT to reveal if terrorists are Muslims

MEDDLING Brussels has said the British press should not report when terrorists are Muslims in a slew of demands to the Government to crack down on the media.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/717627/free-speech-crackdown-EU-report-British-press-hate-crime-violence-terror

Poor Journalism

ECRI is not an EU body, cant order anything, didnt even say this anyhow