Welcome to Thailand! Tourists get a taste of Thai roads travelling from Swampy to Don Muang

webfact

Welcome to Thailand! Tourists get a taste of Thai roads travelling from Swampy to Don Muang

pm2.jpg

Image: Daily News

BANGKOK: -- Four tourists in a taxi travelling between the two Bangkok airports ended up crashing into the back of a 22 wheel truck that hit a pedestrian overpass at Don Muang last night.

Fortunately no one was injured though a serious traffic jam was caused on Viphawadee Road late last night, reported Daily News.

The truck hit the overpass causing its back section to topple backwards. The taxi following careered into the back.

Taxi driver Chai-anan Buppha, 31, said that he was taking four tourists to Don Muang from Suvarnabhumi airport. As he approached the scene there was a lot of dust and he could not see anything - he smacked into the back of the truck. He said it was lucky that no one in his taxi was injured.

Apparently the hydraulic system on the truck failed causing the back to rise up and hit the walkway. There was debris all over the road and the traffic jam caused was severe.

Police are interviewing Bunchu Sritan, 46, the driver of the truck that belongs to TJL Co Ltd.

Source: Daily News

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2016-10-03

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"As he approached the scene there was a lot of dust and he could not see anything..."

So, at this point of course he stops right?

Because, if you're driving a minivan with a bunch of people, of course you're not going to just keep driving forward right?

Because you can't see what's in front of you and that's really, reeeaallly important right?

If you can't outright stop you're going to slow waaay down as safely and as quickly as possible because, what's causing all that dust right?

Right?

Ahh <deleted> it! Just keep going.

So back to the story where of course " ...he smacked into the back of the truck."

Edited by metisdead
Profanity edited out of post.

3 minutes ago, colinneil said:

Is this just another piece of bs?

Usually when the hydraulics fail the ram would not push up.

Or am i missing something.

If a "valve" in the hydraulic system failed it would allow fluid to bypass and and lift the back?

10 minutes ago, colinneil said:

Thanks for that, i never knew that.

I doubt it....the hydraulic pump, which runs off the PTO, would need to be engaged....my guess is the truck bin was not lowered, or only partially lowered. Operator error. 

Edited by ChrisY1

Luckily, in another incident, tourists have left 4 trillion baht in the backseat of a taxi. 

That is enough to pay for repairs to the truck, taxi, overpass, and still have some let for a handsome reward to the taxi driver.

5 minutes ago, ChrisY1 said:

I doubt it....the hydraulic pump, which runs off the PTO, would need to be engaged....my guess is the truck bin was not lowered, or only partially lowered. Operator error. 

I agree most likely operator error! I should have said "could" !! hoist if??? to say the hydraulics cannot raise if there is a failure?? have you seen a typical "maintained" Thai hydraulic system?

43 minutes ago, colinneil said:

This is code for, "Somchai had forgotton to lower the loadbed and was driving along texting his gig at the time"

3 hours ago, colinneil said:

More likely the knuckle head engaged the power take off and presto instant chaos  :hit-the-fan:

Regardless of what happened with the hydraulics on the truck, the taxi driver was driving recklessly or he wouldn't have hit the lorry. Taxi drivers always drive to close to the vehicle in front and are then surprised when it stops suddenly but it's never their fault.

4 hours ago, CGW said:

If a "valve" in the hydraulic system failed it would allow fluid to bypass and and lift the back?

Tell me are you a truck driver if you are like I was that is impossible to happen ok like you say ok 

number 1 the drive forgot to drop it at his last job ok , that is more likely for it to be up .

Because you have to put the p t o  pump  on manually for it to go up I drive those trucks for 15 years.

The country of Thailand is so full of experts and geniuses of a much higher intellect level than us stupid westerners they will soon discover the truth it was the ghost of an old truck driver that aggressively pulled the tipping leaver up while on the truck was on the move and cause the accident.  

5 hours ago, jackspratt498 said:

"As he approached the scene there was a lot of dust and he could not see anything..."

So, at this point of course he stops right?

Because, if you're driving a minivan with a bunch of people, of course you're not going to just keep driving forward right?

Because you can't see what's in front of you and that's really, reeeaallly important right?

If you can't outright stop you're going to slow waaay down as safely and as quickly as possible because, what's causing all that dust right?

Right?

Ahh <deleted> it! Just keep going.

So back to the story where of course " ...he smacked into the back of the truck."

It's nice to see what superb drivers some TV members are as they assert their superiority over Thai people based on a 4 line translated post from the local press....hard to imagine what it's like to be such a perfect driver..........

16 minutes ago, cumgranosalum said:

It's nice to see what superb drivers some TV members are as they assert their superiority over Thai people based on a 4 line translated post from the local press....hard to imagine what it's like to be such a perfect driver..........

Sorry what do you mean by that ?

It is not impossible for the tray of the truck to raise without the driver knowing. Sounds crazy but it has happened twice in Sydney Australia in the last couple of years in motorway tunnels. In one instance the damage was very substantial to the tunnel the roof was smashed for a couple of hundred metres. I missed the follow up story but the comments on talk back radio by other truck drivers left no doubt it was possible if the driver had not followed all the operating rules. There is a lock out lever which is supposed to negate any mistaken raising of the tray but even this is not foolproof.

30 minutes ago, Jim walker said:

The country of Thailand is so full of experts and geniuses of a much higher intellect level than us stupid westerners they will soon discover the truth it was the ghost of an old truck driver that aggressively pulled the tipping leaver up while on the truck was on the move and cause the accident.  

Most likely explanation yet

5 hours ago, colinneil said:

Correct, if the hydraulics fail then NOTHING will happen. But if the driver in the cab hits the operating lever then something will happen, as in this case.

Remember recently another identical thing did happen but that driver said he accidentally bumped the operating lever.

1 minute ago, georgemandm said:

He has left it up from the last job more likely , because you have to manually engage the pump before it can go up just a bad  mistake by the truck driver as it can't go by it self .

If the girl rubs it, it will go up .

3 minutes ago, lungnorm said:

It is not impossible for the tray of the truck to raise without the driver knowing. Sounds crazy but it has happened twice in Sydney Australia in the last couple of years in motorway tunnels. In one instance the damage was very substantial to the tunnel the roof was smashed for a couple of hundred metres. I missed the follow up story but the comments on talk back radio by other truck drivers left no doubt it was possible if the driver had not followed all the operating rules. There is a lock out lever which is supposed to negate any mistaken raising of the tray but even this is not foolproof.

I seen the Sydney one as well it is driver  era that makes the try go up  , impossible to go up for by it self .