Widespread flooding and traffic nightmares in Bangkok

webfact

Widespread flooding and traffic nightmares in Bangkok

31ec17c135d89fb97e2cb8d019845463-wpcf_72

BANGKOK: -- Torrential rains lashed Bangkok late Monday afternoon, causing widespread flooding and traffic nightmares on expressways and several main roads and sois.

The heaviest rainfall was recorded in Bang Sue district with record high 100 mm, turning 12 locations into small klongs of between 5-30 cm in depth such as areas in front of Pongpetch market, in front of th Constitutional Court and TOT Chaengwattana, Bang Khen circle on Pahonyothin road, Sapan Dam tunnel on Kamphaeng Phet road, in front of Amornphan market, Taopon intersection among others.

A netizen by the name of Nuttharudee Non posted a message in his Facebook page, saying he was caught in the traffic at Lat Phrao intersection for about four hours as his wife was waiting at Central Lat Phrao for him to pick her up. Then she bought food and water and walked all the way to his stationary car to take over the steering wheel.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/widespread-flooding-traffic-nightmares-bangkok/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2016-10-04

1 hour ago, webfact said:

A netizen by the name of Nuttharudee Non posted a message in his Facebook page, saying he was caught in the traffic at Lat Phrao intersection for about four hours as his wife was waiting at Central Lat Phrao for him to pick her up. Then she bought food and water and walked all the way to his stationary car to take over the steering wheel.

I'm not believing this story until I see pictures of the "food" on Facebook.

Simply water waiting to drain.

No flooding.

Had to go through about a length of 500 meters on it on my motorbike, I must say, having to ride a bike though high water is about as unpleasant driving experience as you get get.

Having been here in Bangkok at least once every year snce 1977 I know that "flooding" in Bangkok is not going to be solved soon.

I can remember on Sukhumvit around the then Rex hotel wading through knee high water in the street about 1980 in Ocober.

At that time i lived in a guesthouse on soi 38, a few meters off of Sukhumvit road.

That was long before the current military or even today's ploticians and political parties.

Let's face it, it floods in Bangkok in September, October, and even November.

it has or years and it will keep doing it as long as there ae those heavy torrential thunderstorms that overwhelm any drainage system  as they do.

But don't tell that to the tourists.

1 hour ago, Crossy said:

Ch7 news this morning had images of a Ferrari stalled out in the flooding, more than likely wrecked :(

Shows an interesting relationship between size of bank balance and size of brain.

My wife said that the Ferrari was on the TV news last night.  Apparently, they said it was going to cost 2,000,000 baht to repair.  

4 hours ago, Thechook said:

Oh dear.  Prayuth promised last week that there will not be any flooding in Bangkok.  He is personally holding yingluck responsible for the last floods so is he going to take responsibility for this and also face prosecution?

I think there's a slight difference between a flash flood caused by heavy rain and the long term floods he was talking about. 

11 minutes ago, TEFLKrabi said:

I think there's a slight difference between a flash flood caused by heavy rain and the long term floods he was talking about. 

None the less if we get rains comparable to 2011, and we very well could, then it will be every bit as bad if not worse. Weather is very unpredictable outside of a week unless you live in a desert.

Show me a city anywhere in the world where you won't get some street flooding with 100 mm of rain in a few hours.

Better Google before you do.  I promise someone will find images of that city's streets- flooded.

Edited by impulse

When the Bangkokians are finally going to spolve their flood problem ? They already steel a large part of the revenues earned in the Central, to enrich Bangkok, but solving infrastructure problems ? NEVER.

1 hour ago, puipuitom said:

When the Bangkokians are finally going to spolve their flood problem ? They already steel a large part of the revenues earned in the Central, to enrich Bangkok, but solving infrastructure problems ? NEVER.

I actually don't agree with that. Thailand has spent a lot of money to improve infrastructure in this area and Bangkok has come far when it comes to drainage. Bangkok is better than most other very large cities in the tropics where monsoon rains are a part of life

Take Sukhumvit on a very bad day and compare

The early 80's and before that and flooding could go waist high

The late 80's and flooding could go mid-thigh

The late 90's and flooding was down to possibly a bit higher than knee-high

We almost never more than 30-40 cm nowadays

That is impressive improvement

11 hours ago, MikeyIdea said:

So that's why it took a whole 5 minutes longer to drive home after work yesterday, on my motor cycle

I just have to follow up on my own post about yesterday. I talked to friends in the office today and one of the girls said that it took her nearly 5 hours to get home yesterday, she left the office at 6:30 PM and arrived home in Ngam Wong Wan at 11:20 PM. 

I politely didn't laugh or anything and we left the building, it started to rain and I came to my bike and realised that I'd forgotten my rain suit. It was wet yesterday evening and I forgot to put it back this morning...

True