Jomtien: Retirement extensions address proof when you own condo

This is a very specific query.

Last year during my retirement extension time at Jomtien, there was a lot of noise here that condo owners were going to be required to get their names in a house book, or something like that.

I never really understood that and have been using a phone bill with name and address (obviously indicating ownership) for both address reports (when that used to be needed) and proof of address for retirement extensions.

Indeed, I did the same last year and wasn't screened out at the intake desk where they check your papers or the retirement desk.

There seems to be some more tightening in the last six months or so.

Is there anyone with a more recent report than mine as follows:

Jomtien office

Retirement Extension

Condo owner

Tried to use phone bill or utility bill for address confirmation only

If so, was the phone bill or utility bill accepted, and if not, then what happened?

Thanks for any information you can provide about this question regarding JOMTIEN office only.

1 minute ago, Jingthing said:

Is there anyone with a more recent report than mine as follows:

Jomtien office

Retirement Extension

Condo owner

Tried to use phone bill or utility bill for address confirmation only

If so, was the phone bill or utility bill accepted, and if not, then what happened?

August 2016. Electric bill. No questions asked.

• Like 1

If you own a condo, you would have a chanote, blue book (even without your name in it, is acceptable) , you can report yourself on a TM30 as the housemaster. you could even go and get a yellow book. You have lots of options for proving address. I did an extension a couple of weeks ago with a copy of blue book, at jomtiem, they didnt ask for it but I also put in a TM28 and TM30.

Edited by Peterw42
  • Like 1

Also, if you are moving to Pattaya, Immigration is denying retirement extensions in Jomtien Immigration, unless you have lived in that district for a minimum of 6 months!  They would not even take my change of address form after I showed a change of address supporting documentation including charges to my credit card. I recently moved and the big boss, out of uniform, in the office in the rear, referred me back to Bangkok Immigration.  I ended up not living in Pattaya, so I would not have to leave the country and start all over with an O visa.

I then attempted to get a retirement extension in Bangkok, District 1 Immigration and was denied as they took the position with the combination method; funds have to be seasoned 3 months at the time of the application which is contrary to their own website written rules.  I had over 800,000 THB in a Thai bank + my retirement letter notarized by my Embassy. Also, a bank letter and updated savings book dated the same date as my visit. They said to come back in 10 days as their formula will allow me to get the extension.   They are also demanded both the bank book and the bank letter be dated the same day as the day of the visit.

It really is hard to wrap my head around all this after 10 years living in Thailand. 

I, as most want to follow the rules, but if they would only update their website so time and money is not wasted, both for the Immigration Officers and the applicants.  It's gotten to a point, no one is confident they have everything in order to be granted an extension and many are having to return multiple times and the long lines reflect the confusion.

22 minutes ago, Kabula said:

Also, if you are moving to Pattaya, Immigration is denying retirement extensions in Jomtien Immigration, unless you have lived in that district for a minimum of 6 months!  They would not even take my change of address form after I showed a change of address supporting documentation including charges to my credit card. I recently moved and the big boss, out of uniform, in the office in the rear, referred me back to Bangkok Immigration.  I ended up not living in Pattaya, so I would not have to leave the country and start all over with an O visa.

I then attempted to get a retirement extension in Bangkok, District 1 Immigration and was denied as they took the position with the combination method; funds have to be seasoned 3 months at the time of the application which is contrary to their own website written rules.  I had over 800,000 THB in a Thai bank + my retirement letter notarized by my Embassy. Also, a bank letter and updated savings book dated the same date as my visit. They said to come back in 10 days as their formula will allow me to get the extension.   They are also demanded both the bank book and the bank letter be dated the same day as the day of the visit.

It really is hard to wrap my head around all this after 10 years living in Thailand. 

I, as most want to follow the rules, but if they would only update their website so time and money is not wasted, both for the Immigration Officers and the applicants.  It's gotten to a point, no one is confident they have everything in order to be granted an extension and many are having to return multiple times and the long lines reflect the confusion.

I just moved here (pattaya) 2 months ago and did a retire extension.

Edited by Peterw42

Copy of phone bill has always been enough for me.

Some two or three years ago, I was asked if it was my condo (yes) and it was suggested that I should include a copy of the chanot with my papers in the future. Never did - but never had any problem either.

26 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I wonder if it makes a difference whether it's a company owned condo or not. I own mine directly. I was asked if I own a few times years ago. I assume it's in their records.

Don't assume - it is most likely they will still want to see it again (provide copy & have original for verification if needed) - If the chanote is in your name, there should be no problems.

For the last year, things have been fluctuating at Jomtien Immigration - appears to be the whim of the Immigration Officer doing the processing - today its this and tomorrow its that -- same with the personal info form - one day its handed out, the next day (sometimes on the same day) it isn't.  In most cases, the Immigration Officers at the various desks don't ask for it - but I have had reports from some that they were asked.

I did my extension at the end of June - no problems (I use income letter from Embassy and copy of Lease from landlord).  As to owning a condo, one friend said they took his driving license as proof of residence since all he had was a copy of a bill addressed to him there.  Another, they wanted a copy of the chanote.   So be prepared and take the additional documents that you may have (e.g., chanote, blue book, bill addressed to you) to be on the safe side. Likewise with the Bank Letter if using money in the bank for all or part of the financial resources - Jomtien will usually take it if it was done the day before, BUT, depending on the Immigration Officer, decide they want dated the same day as previously mentioned in this thread.

1 minute ago, TerryLH said:

"... and have been using a phone bill with name and address (obviously indicating ownership)..."

How is that obvious?

Thanks,

Terry

So you don't think it's obvious. Curious -- immigration has always accepted it but I'm asking if they still will. There seems to be mixed impressions. 

7 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

If you own a condo, you would have a chanote, blue book (even without your name in it, is acceptable) , you can report yourself on a TM30 as the housemaster. you could even go and get a yellow book. You have lots of options for proving address. I did an extension a couple of weeks ago with a copy of blue book, at jomtiem, they didnt ask for it but I also put in a TM28 and TM30.

As I'm an owner, I've never reported myself and have never been required to. I'd much rather not get into that kind of stuff unless I am explicitly ordered to do so, which as yet, has never happened. Yes I've got some kind of book but my name isn't in it and I imagine it would be a hassle to get my name in it. 

• Like 1

I have been doing my extension for about 12 yrs. at Soi 5. The only requirement I needed for proof of address was a copy of my Tabien Ban. Didn't even need that for the last couple of years. I was asked this time to produce evidence of where I live in two months time....that's a first.

3 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

As I'm an owner, I've never reported myself and have never been required to. I'd much rather not get into that kind of stuff unless I am explicitly ordered to do so, which as yet, has never happened. Yes I've got some kind of book but my name isn't in it and I imagine it would be a hassle to get my name in it. 

You would have a Blue book, but westeners cannot go in blue book. I did my last extension just showing a copy of the blue book.

Yes you are probably right, if it aint broke, dont fix it. There have been lots of threads lately about people having problems because TM30 has not been lodged, getting fines from immigration etc. Technically, as the owner, you are the house master and you are supposed to report yourself as alien in residence. If they have taken a phone bill before, probably still acceptable.

7 minutes ago, dotpoom said:

I have been doing my extension for about 12 yrs. at Soi 5. The only requirement I needed for proof of address was a copy of my Tabien Ban. Didn't even need that for the last couple of years. I was asked this time to produce evidence of where I live in two months time....that's a first.

What evidence? 

3 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

You would have a Blue book, but westeners cannot go in blue book. I did my last extension just showing a copy of the blue book.

Yes you are probably right, if it aint broke, dont fix it. There have been lots of threads lately about people having problems because TM30 has not been lodged, getting fines from immigration etc. Technically, as the owner, you are the house master and you are supposed to report yourself as alien in residence. If they have taken a phone bill before, probably still acceptable.

Yes, blue book. I recall some posts last year about getting foreign name in there. Sounded like a major hassle that you wouldn't bother with unless really needed. Thus, the thread. Not sure what's really needed. Moving targets, you know?

• Like 1

"... and have been using a phone bill with name and address (obviously indicating ownership)..."

How is that obvious?

"So you don't think it's obvious. Curious -- immigration has always accepted it but I'm asking if they still will. There seems to be mixed impressions."

It shows your phone bill is sent to that address, but it's not obvious that it indicates ownership. 

In your mind does it also indicate ownership when someone uses a Thai drivers license to show their address?

How about a yellow tabian ban - does that indicate ownership?

All of those things indicate where you live, but in my opinion, none indicates ownership.

Terry

20 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I am not convinced that owners need to report themselves.

Here is an article that talks about recent TM30 crackdown.

http://perfecthomes.co.th/tm030-registration-thailand/

And here is the thread where I posed the question to our learned colleges, UbonJoe says its the case and he is usually correct.

2 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

Here is an article that talks about recent TM30 crackdown.

http://perfecthomes.co.th/tm030-registration-thailand/

And here is the thread where I posed the question to our learned colleges, UbonJoe says its the case and he is usually correct.

Thanks, I just read that, but isn't that a matter of local enforcement? Owners reporting themselves as residing in condos that they own (other than the usual 90 day reports) ... I find it hard to believe this is being widely or consistently enforced. I guess I'll find out. 

1 minute ago, Jingthing said:

Thanks, I just read that, but isn't that a matter of local enforcement? Owners reporting themselves as residing in condos that they own (other than the usual 90 day reports) ... I find it hard to believe this is being widely or consistently enforced. I guess I'll find out. 

Read that article, its always been the law, but is recently being enforced. (last couple of months) There are a couple of threads running at the moment about it. Some people talking about fines etc.

Not trying to get you into a mad panic, but it is something thats coming up in other threads, 

Just now, Peterw42 said:

Read that article, its always been the law, but is recently being enforced. (last couple of months) There are a couple of threads running at the moment about it. Some people talking about fines etc.

Not trying to get you into a mad panic, but it is something thats coming up in other threads, 

Thanks. I appreciate it.

But frankly, if they were really bothering condo owners for not filing forms (other than address reports) about residing in their own condo, I think there would have been a LOT more news about this.

I'm hearing some news, but can you show me one news story about enforcement against a condo owner not filing a form about living in her own condo?