Pound drops to lowest level since 1985 

webfact

9 minutes ago, Johnyo said:

Germany manages to trade more successfully outside of the EU than Britain because they actually have something to sell because they manufacture it at home. But you keep blaming the EU if it makes you feel better.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

The UK now exports more to the rest of the world than it does to the UK.

https://www.uktradeinfo.com/Statistics/OverseasTradeStatistics/Pages/EU_and_Non-EU_Data.aspx

This could be even higher without interference from the EU who pay UK farmers money to have non productive fields and dictate what the can grow.

Why ?

Quite simply so that they can control the market.

It may have escaped your attention, but the EU market is shrinking year on year, the only Country that is benefitting is Germany as the euro is heavily stacked in their favour.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, ilostmypassword said:

You know, when I see an alleged quote that's too good to be true, I make damn sure to fact check it before citing it. You might want to consider doing the same. In this case, the attribution is fake. It wasn't written by Monnet but by Adrian Hilton in his book, The Principality and Power of Europe.

http://www.newworldencyclopedia.org/entry/Jean_Monnet

Actually, it does not really matter who it is attributed to.

It is a factual statement regardless of who actually penned it.

4 minutes ago, AlexRich said:

Thai's currently have less freedom to determine their own laws than any European country ... 

"or would allow some bureaucrats to make laws and decisions form another country. Neither would they allow this so called 'body of people' to tell you what you can produce or sell and to whom".

You're words above, not mine. Thais have no say in the rules that govern their country, they are run by a military dictatorship.

Let me mention it again. I was talking about the fact one poster was calling themselves European and not British or whichever country they are from. I was stating that many Thai friends laughed, as they would never consider themselves ASEAN. I am talking about national identity. Not laws and decisions, as I agree Thais have no say in who rules them. Lets ask the Thai TV posters here who considers them selves to be ASEAN or Thai. I know the outcome.

13 minutes ago, ilostmypassword said:

You know, when I see an alleged quote that's too good to be true, I make damn sure to fact check it before citing it

Actually I did cite where it come from. You are saying it is from somewhere else but are also saying what was written was true. So which bit is to good to be true? Does the quote upset you? It is exactly what the EU is and by your own omission whether from someone else or not (I will investigate) it was said. So what is the big deal?

It's a real impasse on here.

Those that voted leave seem to think that, because they are in the majority, we should agree with their ideas. Why? Further, they seem to think they can dictate terms!

That's no way to make progress. We need sensible informed discussion. All this "I hate EU" is just such "low rent". We all know things need improvement or change. But to disregard all the benefits achieved by and derived from the EU just demonstrates ignorance. Last night the Hungarian foreign minister was on hard talk defending the Hungarian stance on asylum seekers. However, they are still staunchly pro EU and a good friend to the UK. I would welcome some reasoned discussion. Thank you.

24 minutes ago, Johnyo said:

Germany manages to trade more successfully outside of the EU than Britain because they actually have something to sell because they manufacture it at home. But you keep blaming the EU if it makes you feel better.

And let me ask you another question.

As the EU's market share is decreasing year on year.

What is that white elephant AKA as the EU going to do about this little problem

_91958925_eu_unemployment_v2.png

Stick their head up their collective jacksies and pretend that it does not exist until it erupts ?

16 minutes ago, SgtRock said:

Given what you've offer as facts about EU and Deutsche Bank, I'm not surprised that you regard a fake quote as factual.  I guess when your arguments are weak, you take what you can get.

The UK now exports more to the rest of the world than it does to the UK.

https://www.uktradeinfo.com/Statistics/OverseasTradeStatistics/Pages/EU_and_Non-EU_Data.aspx

This could be even higher without interference from the EU who pay UK farmers money to have non productive fields and dictate what the can grow.

Why ?

Quite simply so that they can control the market.

It may have escaped your attention, but the EU market is shrinking year on year, the only Country that is benefitting is Germany as the euro is heavily stacked in their favour.

"EU market is shrinking'

Would you like to take that back?

3 minutes ago, ilostmypassword said:

Given what you've offer as facts about EU and Deutsche Bank, I'm not surprised that you regard a fake quote as factual.  I guess when your arguments are weak, you take what you can get.

I have not offered anything as fact about the EU or DB.

What I have done is posted articles from other sources and made comment.

Which is totally different from stating anything as fact.

When you can work out the difference and you still think anything is '' WEAK '' reproduce what you think is '' WEAK '' and we can discuss it in more depth.

45 minutes ago, SgtRock said:

No, not at all.

You prove me wrong by providing an independent source to back up your assumption.

Incorrect, still growing albeit only 1.8%

EU maybe slowly declining as share of global total.

Just google it

Edited by Grouse

4 hours ago, Grouse said:

Quad erat demonstrandum

You are clearly human Grouse even though you have slated me before for a slight error.

I don't mind a good debate and I certainly don't feel superior because the leave won, on the contrary. I am saddened that the UK have lost their sense of pride. You are clearly passionate about your beliefs as am I, mine.

57 minutes ago, Grouse said:

It's a real impasse on here.

Those that voted leave seem to think that, because they are in the majority, we should agree with their ideas. Why? Further, they seem to think they can dictate terms!

That's no way to make progress. We need sensible informed discussion. All this "I hate EU" is just such "low rent". We all know things need improvement or change. But to disregard all the benefits achieved by and derived from the EU just demonstrates ignorance. Last night the Hungarian foreign minister was on hard talk defending the Hungarian stance on asylum seekers. However, they are still staunchly pro EU and a good friend to the UK. I would welcome some reasoned discussion. Thank you.

As you well know Grouse, I am a great supporter of Britex,yet I do respect your points of view on this subject,unlike Some other Remoaners who are nothing more than twopenceapenny millionairs. You have at least acknowledged that the EU has many imperfections, unfortunately you are under the false illusion that the EU can be changed from within. If this had been the case,perhaps Sections of the country would not now be at loggerheads with each other. As an example, If last February,when Cameron begged the EU to relax the stringent rules on open borders, for the UK, simple by allowing the UK to limit the entry to those for whom the British economy needed ( notice not to stop immigration )and they had agreed, then we would probably not be having this discussion. Unfortunately due to the intransigence of the bully boy Bureacrats in Brussels, this did not happen, resulting unfortunately in the short time of some ex-pats here in Thailand suffering financially, along with what may happen to some of the people in the UK and many workers in Germany and elsewhere within Europe. 

So to the future,the country has democratically voted for Britex, so let's unite and make a success of our new found freedom, or do you envisage a repetition of the results in the Netherlands and France referendums in 2005.

5 minutes ago, nontabury said:

As you well know Grouse, I am a great supporter of Britex,yet I do respect your points of view on this subject,unlike Some other Remoaners who are nothing more than twopenceapenny millionairs. You have at least acknowledged that the EU has many imperfections, unfortunately you are under the false illusion that the EU can be changed from within. If this had been the case,perhaps Sections of the country would not now be at loggerheads with each other. As an example, If last February,when Cameron begged the EU to relax the stringent rules on open borders, for the UK, simple by allowing the UK to limit the entry to those for whom the British economy needed ( notice not to stop immigration )and they had agreed, then we would probably not be having this discussion. Unfortunately due to the intransigence of the bully boy Bureacrats in Brussels, this did not happen, resulting unfortunately in the short time of some ex-pats here in Thailand suffering financially, along with what may happen to some of the people in the UK and many workers in Germany and elsewhere within Europe. 

So to the future,the country has democratically voted for Britex, so let's unite and make a success of our new found freedom, or do you envisage a repetition of the results in the Netherlands and France referendums in 2005.

If the EU had done it for the UK, then it would have to be done for everyone.  So no, the EU was not bullying the UK.

34 minutes ago, Grouse said:

Incorrect, still growing albeit only 1.8%

EU maybe slowly declining as share of global total.

Just google it

Had you actually read the whole conversation between myself and Johnyo, rather than jumping in on a single post, you would have clearly identified that we were talking about Global Trade.

Anyway, my thanks for confirming that the size of the EU market in terms of World trade is declining :thumbsup::thumbsup:

10 minutes ago, nontabury said:

You have at least acknowledged that the EU has many imperfections, unfortunately you are under the false illusion that the EU can be changed from within. If this had been the case,perhaps Sections of the country would not now be at loggerheads with each other. As an example, If last February,when Cameron begged the EU to relax the stringent rules on open borders, for the UK, simple by allowing the UK to limit the entry to those for whom the British economy needed ( notice not to stop immigration )and they had agreed, then we would probably not be having this discussion. Unfortunately due to the intransigence of the bully boy Bureacrats in Brussels, this did not happen, resulting unfortunately in the short time of some ex-pats here in Thailand suffering financially, along with what may happen to some of the people in the UK and many workers in Germany and elsewhere within Europe. 

Very well said. The EU has had 40 plus years to review and it has in fact just gone the one direct federalisation route, crushing any country that gets in its way, just like it is trying now with the UK.

2 minutes ago, Laughing Gravy said:

Very well said. The EU has had 40 plus years to review and it has in fact just gone the one direct federalisation route, crushing any country that gets in its way, just like it is trying now with the UK.

I think that you just have to look at the Greek fiasco to understand that under no circumstances would Greece be allowed to leave the euro.

Too scared of the domino effect, regardless of the financial cost

Edited by SgtRock

3 hours ago, SgtRock said:

For someone who is shouting about the education levels of Brexiteers.

You have plumbed new depths.

Britain, regardless of what happens, will always be a part of Europe and European.

Less mouthing off about the education levels of others and back to school with you.

Except I didn't say that - reading tuition for you maybe?

18 minutes ago, Laughing Gravy said:

The EU will just let us go, of that I am sure.

There are other solutions which would be better for everyone.

3 hours ago, SgtRock said:

For someone who is shouting about the education levels of Brexiteers.

You have plumbed new depths.

Britain, regardless of what happens, will always be a part of Europe and European.

Less mouthing off about the education levels of others and back to school with you.

6 minutes ago, Loeilad said:

Except I didn't say that - reading tuition for you maybe?

My apologies. I miss understood what you said.

What you actually said

7 hours ago, Loeilad said:

I have to say that your statement would do a 12 year old school kid proud,

Splitting hairs much 

2 hours ago, ilostmypassword said:

You know, when I see an alleged quote that's too good to be true, I make damn sure to fact check it before citing it. You might want to consider doing the same. In this case, the attribution is fake. It wasn't written by Monnet but by Adrian Hilton in his book, The Principality and Power of Europe.

To ilmpw, I did some more research and just to let you know this quote and letter is not something that's new to me in fact I have known it for several years. When you look at different sites there are many using the same quote from the person. With everything from the internet you have to use your intuition, expertise and believe on what you feel to be correct. I still stand by the quote itself and I mentioned it as it sums up very much what the EU is, in my opinion. As the forum rules I quoted something and sent the link where it came from. I could have put more links with the same information. That's the internet for you. Individuals will have to decide themselves if they feel it is right or not. What my point about the whole quote was how very true it is.

2 hours ago, SgtRock said:

It matters if there is a fraudulent attribution as this indicates a willingness to either make dishonest statements or intellectual laziness copying and pasting junk from some website without checking and it further extends as shallow thinking by dismissing, nay embracing such dishonesty by doubling up selling a matter of opinion as a fact. Not that I expect anything other than persistent bombast from certain quarters on this thread. In reality dull bulbs posing as bright sparks really.

17 minutes ago, SheungWan said:

It matters if there is a fraudulent attribution as this indicates a willingness to either make dishonest statements or intellectual laziness copying and pasting junk from some website without checking and it further extends as shallow thinking by dismissing, nay embracing such dishonesty by doubling up selling a matter of opinion as a fact. Not that I expect anything other than persistent bombast from certain quarters on this thread. In reality dull bulbs posing as bright sparks really.

Been checked on many websites as I have replied.

5 hours ago, Laughing Gravy said:

Does it really matter about peoples grammar? No. It is a forum, message board not somewhere to present a research paper.

Yes it does matter, unless of course you think it perfectly acceptable to post incorrect statements.

People should not try and be clever in their comments when they do not understand the text that has been used.

56 minutes ago, Laughing Gravy said:

To ilmpw, I did some more research and just to let you know this quote and letter is not something that's new to me in fact I have known it for several years. When you look at different sites there are many using the same quote from the person. With everything from the internet you have to use your intuition, expertise and believe on what you feel to be correct. I still stand by the quote itself and I mentioned it as it sums up very much what the EU is, in my opinion. As the forum rules I quoted something and sent the link where it came from. I could have put more links with the same information. That's the internet for you. Individuals will have to decide themselves if they feel it is right or not. What my point about the whole quote was how very true it is.

But the only reason that quote carries any authority t is because it is alleged to come from Monnet. If you were to say that this quote is Adrian Hilton's, who would care? Why would it be significant? 

7 hours ago, Laughing Gravy said:

As we are in Thailand I explained the concept of the EU to my Thai friends. They were in fits of laughter. They never consider themselves to be Asian or would allow some bureaucrats to make laws and decisions form another country. Neither would they allow this so called 'body of people' to tell you what you can produce or sell and to whom. They found the whole concept absolute farcical of which the EU is.

based on the fact that Thailand is a member of ASEAN and based on your Thai friends laughter which indicates they have no idea about ASEAN it is logical to assume that they either don't know what the EU stands for or perhaps think they that EU is a non-spicy western dish.

:glare:

Edited by Naam

6 hours ago, Grouse said:

I suggest you continue debating with the locals. It would be closer to your level of erudition.

I've been kind to you Gravy, but you just don't understand the subtleties do you? You are entitled to your views but frankly your comments are just too facile to be answered directly. I suggest you LISTEN to the valid points raised by the half of the population who understands the benefits of Europe generally. Sorry.

The sheer bl**dy arrogance of that statement and the approach it reflects to people whose views don't mirror yours very probably  why a majority decided "to hell with the EU and those who wish to ram its edicts down our throat, let's leave!"