Pound drops to lowest level since 1985 

webfact

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, i claudius said:

On AND on and on , its all the fault of Brexit , give it a rest , we voted to leave ,its done , who cares now , lets look to the future , and what is to be done , not constantly harping on and on and on and on and on and on.:passifier:

The vote is done but the detail of implementation is not. In fact, it is in play right now.

Edited by SheungWan

The vote is done but the detail of implementation is not. In fact, it is in play right now.

I do realize that,it's just to be honest there is nothing any of us can do about it ,so it just seems pointless to keep on harping on about it, lets just get on with our lives

Sent from my ASUS_T00J using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Grouse said:

Couldn't agree more. Took a stroll on Soi Cowboy last Saturday to look at the wildlife. Such pulchritude!

I hope you dropped a few baht into the outstretched hands of newly impoverished and threadbare Brits hovering around the entrance on Soi 23. I think we would also like to hear what feedback you got from the Soi Cowboy locals on how Brexit is going to improve their lives and particularly the impact of a return to sovereign decision-making powers long time as opposed to short time.

8 minutes ago, SheungWan said:

I hope you dropped a few baht into the outstretched hands of newly impoverished and threadbare Brits hovering around the entrance on Soi 23. I think we would also like to hear what feedback you got from the Soi Cowboy locals on how Brexit is going to improve their lives and particularly the impact of a return to sovereign decision-making powers long time as opposed to short time.

It would depend on whether he was hansum enough (traslated into English as 'packing a wallet') for them to want to talk.

2 hours ago, Grubster said:

The Pound being worth less means an increase in exports and jobs for brits, If you live there you will not notice the pound being worth less but you may suddenly have a few in your pocket.

Quite right in as far as it goes but how about jobs with foreign owned companies, what does the future hold for them?

8 minutes ago, Grouse said:

Treasury says Brexit will cost UK economy 80B USD per annum (about 10x net EU contribution)

A bit disingenuous, that, Grouse. It refers to a hard brexit (which won't happen), and is from figures compiled by the treaury pre-referendum under the discredited George Osborne's watch.

http://lankanewsweb.net/foreign/item/4328-hard-brexit-will-cost-britain-66-billion-per-year-claims-controversial-leaked-treasury-report

2 hours ago, Grouse said:

Please read up on EU laws and how they are debated, adopted, ratified. You clearly don't have a clear understanding. The piece you link to discusses laws that are INFLUENCED by the EU. Please provide specific examples of laws, influenced by the EU, that you object to. Obviously, it is a good idea to HARMONISE legislation. In my own field, harmonised electrical regs are a good thing. ?

The media has a lot to answer for, they make a big issue out of some particular regulations.

Back in 1990 when the EU Directive on gas appliances was introduced I was given the task of implementation in the company i worked for. Everyone was up in arms, company management for the increased workload and customers because of the price rises that came about.

Prior to its introduction customers were quite happy to purchase appliances that were potentially lethal, after all, ignorance is bliss. Now that the dust has settled customers are quick to use that legislation to take manufacturers to court, something that was extremely difficult prior to the EU directive.

Edited by sandyf

21 minutes ago, Khun Han said:

A bit disingenuous, that, Grouse. It refers to a hard brexit (which won't happen), and is from figures compiled by the treaury pre-referendum under the discredited George Osborne's watch.

http://lankanewsweb.net/foreign/item/4328-hard-brexit-will-cost-britain-66-billion-per-year-claims-controversial-leaked-treasury-report

Fair enough but that was what was just reported on BBC World News

3 hours ago, Grouse said:

Right, had my Marmite on toast and feeling substantially better! So, let's try and have a rational discussion.

Its too late to unwind the referendum result. However, and as I discussed at length previously, there was (is?) a way forward that would be acceptable to everybody without trashing the economy.

I would really like to know what, specifically, motivated Brexiteers to vote out?

I understand the problem with free movement of people but feel a compromise would be possible. (Limit the RATE of migration, limit numbers per country, job offers in advance etc etc)

I don't really buy the sovereignty issue. Nobody has provided a specific example of how we have suffered from sharing sovereignty.

I don't really buy the EU laws issue either. What law specifically are you against. To me, EU laws have worked to protect workers rights and protect the environment.

9B annual net contribution (0.45% of GDP) is not bad ( particularly compared with 600B drop in GDP when measured in USD)

Now, all I am pushing for is to reign in the cynical Tory opportunists who are now taking advantage of the situation to enrich themselves at the country's expense.

Brexit Lite would keep everyone happy IMHO (except that extreme 5th columnist who prays for the failure of the EU).

What are you worried about?

I'm worried about the anti-democratic antics of May and her gang of three....

" I don't really buy the EU laws issue either. What law specifically are you against. To me, EU laws have worked to protect workers rights and protect the environment. "

To me it seems like EU lawmakers were searching for things to do to justify their existence:giggle:

Over the last decade Brussels has made between 1,000 and 2,000 laws every year  covering such vitallyimportant issues as these examples

1. Cucumbers and bananas should not be bendy 

International ridicule erupted when the EU stated that all bananas must be "free of abnormal curvature". 

2. It's illegal to eat your pet horse

In 2009 the EU introduced a law which suggested it was illegal to eat "pet" horses after staggering figures revealed that around two million pet horses are eaten across the EU each year. 

3.Water does NOT prevent dehydration 

In 2011 they passed a law, which claimed scientists had found no evidence to suggest drinking water stopped dehydration.

4. Prunes will NOT fight your bowel problems

And after a thorough investigation, the EU ruled: "The evidence provided is insufficient to establish a cause and effect relationship between the consumption of dried plums of 'prune' cultivars and maintenance of normal bowel function" 

5. Turnips are NOT swede 

In 2010 the EU decided to make sure one and all knew the difference between a turnip and a swede. 

6. Diabetics should be BANNED from the roads 

Up to one million drivers faced losing their driving licenses - because harsh EU experts deemed people with diabetes "unfit" to drive. 

7. Eggs CANNOT be sold by the dozen

Fury erupted when shopkeepers were told all food must be weighed and sold by the kilo - instead of the number contained in the packet back in 2010. 

8. Washing up gloves must be able to handle DETERGENTS 

the EU imposed rigorous testing on these household products to stop people being injured. 

Optimistic about the high court case about whether section 50 requires parliamentary approval. May be, just may be, there is a chance of a sensible way forward to everyone's benefit.

Switzerland needs to negotiate a new deal. Is it possible the EU will see sense and compromise to avoid a brittle fracture?

Edited by Grouse

10 minutes ago, Asiantravel said:

" I don't really buy the EU laws issue either. What law specifically are you against. To me, EU laws have worked to protect workers rights and protect the environment. "

To me it seems like EU lawmakers were searching for things to do to justify their existence:giggle:

Over the last decade Brussels has made between 1,000 and 2,000 laws every year  covering such vitallyimportant issues as these examples

International ridicule erupted when the EU stated that all bananas must be "free of abnormal curvature". 

In 2009 the EU introduced a law which suggested it was illegal to eat "pet" horses after staggering figures revealed that around two million pet horses are eaten across the EU each year. 

In 2011 they passed a law, which claimed scientists had found no evidence to suggest drinking water stopped dehydration.

And after a thorough investigation, the EU ruled: "The evidence provided is insufficient to establish a cause and effect relationship between the consumption of dried plums of 'prune' cultivars and maintenance of normal bowel function" 

5. Turnips are NOT swede 

In 2010 the EU decided to make sure one and all knew the difference between a turnip and a swede. 

Up to one million drivers faced losing their driving licenses - because harsh EU experts deemed people with diabetes "unfit" to drive. 

Fury erupted when shopkeepers were told all food must be weighed and sold by the kilo - instead of the number contained in the packet back in 2010. 

the EU imposed rigorous testing on these household products to stop people being injured. 

I just remembered those children's TV characters are called Telly  Tubbies NOT numpties. Sorry.

9 minutes ago, Grouse said:

I just remembered those children's TV characters are called Telly  Tubbies NOT numpties. Sorry.

21 minutes ago, Asiantravel said:

5. Turnips are NOT swede 

Did you write all of this ? or cut and paste ?

10 minutes ago, Prbkk said:

Now Unilever is trying to force Tesco to put up the price of Marmite by 10%. They should be shot.

Should the oil companies also be shot when the price of petrol increases because the Pound has weakened against USD?

5 minutes ago, chiang mai said:

Should the oil companies also be shot when the price of petrol increases because the Pound has weakened against USD?

Marmite is made in the UK from local ingredients. The exchange rate has nothing to do with it other than a return to Dutch shareholders. 

7 minutes ago, Prbkk said:

Marmite is made in the UK from local ingredients. The exchange rate has nothing to do with it other than a return to Dutch shareholders. 

Marmite is a product purchased from a third party supplier who is based overseas, where it is made is irrelevant.

36 minutes ago, Grouse said:

Optimistic about the high court case about whether section 50 requires parliamentary approval. May be, just may be, there is a chance of a sensible way forward to everyone's benefit.

Switzerland needs to negotiate a new deal. Is it possible the EU will see sense and compromise to avoid a brittle fracture?

In addition to the court case it is possible that article 50 may go to the European Scrutiny Committee , where they could recommend a full debate

12 minutes ago, chiang mai said:

Oil is priced in dollars, so a weakening of sterling would put up the price of oil in sterling. I have to admit though that Marmite does look like congealed oil.

48 minutes ago, Asiantravel said:

5. Turnips are NOT swede 

Only a complete clot would take this post seriously .... it is in fact total fabrication......