Elephant picks up woman in Ayuthaya in its trunk and tosses her to the ground - she is severely injured

webfact

3 minutes ago, AlQaholic said:

Ok so if you see one of those paintings in Europe showing an ongoing war using horses "Cavalry" these are domesticated animals, while if you see those wall paintings in Ayuthaya showing a war between Burmese and Thai conducted on the back of Elephants or same thing in India, these are not domesticated? What would you call those Elephants then?

Horses are domesticated animals.... like cats and dogs.  They do not exist as wild animals and they have been selectively bred over thousands of years for their personality to become placid, calm and trusting around humans.

Elephants are wild animals.  They are captured from the wild and tortured or 'broken' in order to destroy their mind to make them basically slaves, scared of their human handlers.  Even though a few elephants are born in captivity this is a very small percent.. and its only 2 generations from wild ones.  They still have to be tortured to subdue them.. and many die during this process.

Many of the baby elephants you see in Thailand are actually stolen from the wild and smuggled to Thailand and then broken in. 

I hope now you can see that elephants are wild animals and should not be kept in chains and stabbed with metal hooks for the amusement and profit of ignorant or stupid people.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, jak2002003 said:

Horses are domesticated animals.... like cats and dogs.  They do not exist as wild animals and they have been selectively bred over thousands of years for their personality to become placid, calm and trusting around humans.

Elephants are wild animals.  They are captured from the wild and tortured or 'broken' in order to destroy their mind to make them basically slaves, scared of their human handlers.  Even though a few elephants are born in captivity this is a very small percent.. and its only 2 generations from wild ones.  They still have to be tortured to subdue them.. and many die during this process.

Many of the baby elephants you see in Thailand are actually stolen from the wild and smuggled to Thailand and then broken in. 

I hope now you can see that elephants are wild animals and should not be kept in chains and stabbed with metal hooks for the amusement and profit of ignorant or stupid people.

I stand corrected....Agree with you, due to the long reproductive cycle of Elephants, breeding is impractical and most Elephants are taken from the wild, I somehow thought most was bred actually.

1 hour ago, CaptHaddock said:

Interesting that, without hearing anything from the tourist, everyone readily believes the owner and the mahout, who after all have an interest in avoiding any responsibility by blaming the victim.

Tourists are not the most intelligent creatures....... Generally they are quite stupid!

2 hours ago, ukrules said:

What are you supposed to do - cook them ?

If this dumb ass elephant didn't want to eat them it should have ignored them.

Stupid elephant.

Elephants are nasty.   I just can't understand why anyone would think it cool to be anywhere near them.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

these elephants are not wild as someone said. they are the decedents of elephants that have been domesticated for many many generations. there were about 100 000 elephants used in the logging industry and the 3000 remaining ones used for elephant rides a decedents of them. there are a lot of trolls on face book talking about stealing wild baby elephants and treating them very poorly which is simply not true.

Even an Elephant can have an off day,they have an awful lot to

put up with,including stupid tourists trying to stuff unripe bananas

up it's trunk,you cannot blame the Elephant,and its the woman

who will never forget...her  encounter.

regards worgeordie

5 minutes ago, williamgeorgeallen said:

these elephants are not wild as someone said. they are the decedents of elephants that have been domesticated for many many generations. there were about 100 000 elephants used in the logging industry and the 3000 remaining ones used for elephant rides a decedents of them. there are a lot of trolls on face book talking about stealing wild baby elephants and treating them very poorly which is simply not true.

Well I thought like you, but did some research on the net, it is simply not practical to breed Elephants due to their long reproductive cycle, so most Elephants are actually taken from the wild.

Over the years i've read many reports of tourists being killed or seriously injured by elephants at these tourist spots around Thailand. I give the bloody things a wide berth.

1 hour ago, DoctorG said:

The tuk-tuk driver also reported the same thing.

We had a problem with local kids occasionally stealing our livestock.

I eventually caught 2 of them and they got a bit of a slapping. 4 ran away.

All 6 went to the police with their parents and all had the same bs story about how they were simply playing near our land but were being noisy. The nasty farang came over and was violent with them for no reason. As the news spread, the locals were in agreement, nasty farang.

When the police took me in and told me what had been said, I showed them video footage of the thieving little toerags.

Everything then changed, I even had a couple of locals tell me I should have killed them. 

The general consensus about the slapping they received after seeing the video?  'som nam na'.

And when I say kids, they were aged 15 to 17.

Two Thais with the same story?

As so often happens here (and everywhere else), without video we'll never know the truth.

1 hour ago, CaptHaddock said:

Interesting that, without hearing anything from the tourist, everyone readily believes the owner and the mahout, who after all have an interest in avoiding any responsibility by blaming the victim.

Well...what can I say?

Tourists!

At least I would not be surprised, if the incident went exactly like that!

I once walked into a herd of a dozen elephants, all chained at the foot.  I had a large bunch of bananas and was giving two to each elephant.  Near the end I was knocked to the ground (blindsided from behind) by a large female's trunk.  The message was clear: 'don't give bananas to the others. Give them to me!'   Luckily, she didn't follow up with a crushing foot.  

23 minutes ago, AlQaholic said:

Well I thought like you, but did some research on the net, it is simply not practical to breed Elephants due to their long reproductive cycle, so most Elephants are actually taken from the wild.

the 100 000 elephants from the logging industry were just left to die out? very sad to hear that they are being captured for domestic use. surely the general can do something about that. elephants are disappearing in the wild as well due to loss of habitat. hard times ahead for their species in thailand.

30 minutes ago, AlQaholic said:

What do you mean long reproductive cycle..  There are loads of baby elephants at the elephant 'sanctuaries', where do you suppose they come from?  They're born all the time in captivity.    A lot easier than risking your life in a forest somewhere, which would be breaking the law, too.

2 hours ago, CaptHaddock said:

And independant witness, as reported... (tuck tuk driver)

there could well  be more witnesses, but how many should be quoted in a news article?

as this incident did not include tourists, we need not speculate on exenphobic reporting and attitudes, as is so often the want, in these pages

Whereas usually the feed is ripe , the Elephant would have been disappointed to get unripe bananas that in the Wild it would never pick. After all, they will be ripe in a few days and it can come back to eat. 
On top of that, its mate of many years gets apparently spoken to angrily by the feeder.

Too many inconsistencies, and any animal would protect its own.
Don't mess with animals, especially big ones and those with sharp teeth.L1120051 - Version 2.jpg

44 minutes ago, grumbleweed said:

Take a huge mammal, keep it in captivity and beat it into submission,  and then be surprised if for some strange reason it gets the hump

Obviously it's all the elephant's fault

the raw bananas did it.

36 minutes ago, WinnieTheKhwai said:

What do you mean long reproductive cycle..  There are loads of baby elephants at the elephant 'sanctuaries', where do you suppose they come from?  They're born all the time in captivity.    A lot easier than risking your life in a forest somewhere, which would be breaking the law, too.

under  particularly monitored and structured conditions, it is possible to breed elephants in captivity.

2 hours ago, PremiumLane said:

It is quite simple really, Elephants should either be in the wild or wildlife reserves where they can live normal and natural lives. Not used as amusement for tourists.

i don't think the injured lady is amused.

1 hour ago, PremiumLane said:

Cats? Dogs? not really wild animals though are they, big difference. 

At some stage, every animal was a wild animal... perhaps the most dangerous of wild animals in homo sapien

wildness simply refers to tameness, surely... and any tame animal can twist off unexpectedly... especially humans, arguably the most domesticated of all animals

so... mess with nature... don't be surprised when nature messes with you, and if a praying man, thank your god that we no longer have to worry about dinosaurs, which, undoubtedly we (man) would have tried to harness (flintstone wise)

1 hour ago, TSF said:

Over the years i've read many reports of tourists being killed or seriously injured by elephants at these tourist spots around Thailand. I give the bloody things a wide berth.

to each his own but some tourists are thrilled at the show put up by the elephants and their trainers.accidents do happen but the elephants do not go about attacking people without any  reason.