Is It Possible?

Hello:

I have been trying to find some information about visa's ( marriage visa in particular ) but cannot find anything that says anything different than what it said before the coupe.

I am a Canadian national presently working in China but planning on returning to Thailand in Feb 2007. I have married a Thai national lady ( the traditional ceremony only at present - we are planning on registering shortly after my arrival back in Thailand ). We would like to continue living our lives in Thailand but with all the turmoil with the visa laws, I am unsure whether I am able to get a one year marriage visa.

What I would like to know is this,

1. Am I able to get a 3 month Thai visa here in China? If not, would I be able to go to someplace like Singapore to get it?

2. After we register our marriage, what do I have to do to get the one year marriage visa?

I have read somewhere that I would have to return to my home country to get it. Am I able to go to Singapore to get it??? Or is there a less expensive place to go to get it? I really don't want to have to go through the expense, time and trouble of going back to Canada just to get the visa and return to Thailand a couple of days later.

I hope that someone can fill me in.

Thank you in advance.

Kel

Hello:

I have been trying to find some information about visa's ( marriage visa in particular ) but cannot find anything that says anything different than what it said before the coupe.

I am a Canadian national presently working in China but planning on returning to Thailand in Feb 2007. I have married a Thai national lady ( the traditional ceremony only at present - we are planning on registering shortly after my arrival back in Thailand ). We would like to continue living our lives in Thailand but with all the turmoil with the visa laws, I am unsure whether I am able to get a one year marriage visa.

1. Am I able to get a 3 month Thai visa here in China? If not, would I be able to go to someplace like Singapore to get it?

2. After we register our marriage, what do I have to do to get the one year marriage visa?

I have read somewhere that I would have to return to my home country to get it. Am I able to go to Singapore to get it??? Or is there a less expensive place to go to get it? I really don't want to have to go through the expense, time and trouble of going back to Canada just to get the visa and return to Thailand a couple of days later.

Thank you in advance.

Kel

As you are not married at the moment you would only get a 60 day tourist visa. After you are maried you can get a 90 day Non Immigrant O visa, locally that can be extended for 1 year if you have 40,000 Baht monthly income between the 2 of you.

1. Am I able to get a 3 month Thai visa here in China?

Unless you are a resident of China, in most cases the answer is no

If not, would I be able to go to someplace like Singapore to get it?

Yes or you can change it to a "O" visa inside Thailand with a income of 40K per month or 400K in the Thai bank. Please note: This is for change from a 30 day tourist visa exemption stamp or tourist visa, then money in the bank is allowed to meet the criteria.

With the extension of stay permit, only a income of 40K per month is allowed.

Marriage certificate

ID card of your wife

House registration

Pictures of the marriage

Pictures of her and you sitting on the sofa, clothes in the closet( hers and yours)

map to the house, tel #

passport

passport copy

PND #1 ( three months of withholding tax) if using your wife or your income inside Thailand

work permit if you have one

Letter from your Employer overseas if you have one

Letter from the Embassy certifying your income overseas( if you are using the employer overseas)

4 x 6 photo

You will not need to do this.

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com

Hello:

Thank you in advance.

Kel

As you are not married at the moment you would only get a 60 day tourist visa. After you are maried you can get a 90 day Non Immigrant O visa, locally that can be extended for 1 year if you have 40,000 Baht monthly income between the 2 of you.

From what I was reading, I was under the impression that I personally had to have an income of 40,000 baht monthly. Are you 100% sure about the "between the 2 of you"?

If that is the case, does the 400,000 baht in the bank part of what I have read have to be in MY bank account? Or is that also between the 2 of us?

Thank you for the helpful information. Hope that you are able to help with a couple more questions.

Unless you are a resident of China, in most cases the answer is no At present I DO have a resident permit for foreigner, is this what you mean?? Or are you referring to a Chinese national status?

Yes or you can change it to a "O" visa inside Thailand with a income of 40K per month or 400K in the Thai bank. Please note: This is for change from a 30 day tourist visa exemption stamp or tourist visa, then money in the bank is allowed to meet the criteria.

In reference with the part in red, are you referring to an actual VISA attached in my passport? A VOA does not qualify me for the money in the bank criteria, right?

Thank you

Edited by kel57

The new rule is family income of 40k per month.

The old rule of change using 400k bank account seems to still be used by that office (although I thought Sunbelt had indicated it was due to phase out in November) and expect joint account would be acceptable (as it was for support extensions in the past).

The is no VOA but both the 30 day stamp and normal tourist visa were being processed, at least in Bangkok, but change to non immigrant visa status during this time of change. There was a limit placed that stay had to have at least 21 days remaining and enforcement seems to be erratic so best to do early during the stay.

At any rate after marriage it is easy to obtain a non immigrant visa from Singapore or Kuala Lumpur if required.

The old rule of change using 400k bank account seems to still be used by that office (although I thought Sunbelt had indicated it was due to phase out in November) and expect joint account would be acceptable (as it was for support extensions in the past).

Has not been phased out yet, as they had expected on Nov 15th. They still go with the old rules of 400K in the bank for change of visa.

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com

Thank you for the helpful information. Hope that you are able to help with a couple more questions.

Unless you are a resident of China, in most cases the answer is no

At present I DO have a resident permit for foreigner, is this what you mean?? Or are you referring to a Chinese national status?

In reference with the part in red, are you referring to an actual VISA attached in my passport? A VOA does not qualify me for the money in the bank criteria, right?

Thank you

A 30 day tourist visa exemption stamp does allow you to have money in the bank and to change it to a "O" visa. As lop pointed out, 21 days should be remaining on the 30 day stamp.

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com

I have a 2 monts tourist visa issued in Vientiane. I also have a Thai marriage certificate. I would like to know:

The tourist visa allows me to stay until Jan 1 2007. Can I change this visa to a non imm O. If so - should i go Suan Pluh BKK (imm office in Aek Udon hospital said no)?

If the tourist visa can not be changed to a non imm O I will go to Vientiane to get a non imm O. Do I need to show an income statement for the 3 months non imm O visa stating purpose 'Visit wife'?

I read somewhere that you need a document stating your marital status in your home country. This document showing that I am divorced in farangland they kept at the amphur as a condition of issuing a Thai marriage certificate. As long as i stay in Thailand and has the Thai marriage certificate, will I ever have to prove that I don't have a farang wife?

What would be the minimum documents you have to bring to get a non imm O?

Do I have to bring my wife in person or only her ID?

Thanks (and I apolgize for asking questions that are partly answered before, but I am going to have a child in early March and would like to be here. Also Vientiane stamped my passport with something (only partly readable) like due to several visa runs I might be refused visa in the future,)

I have a 2 monts tourist visa issued in Vientiane. I also have a Thai marriage certificate. I would like to know:

The tourist visa allows me to stay until Jan 1 2007. Can I change this visa to a non imm O. If so - should i go Suan Pluh BKK (imm office in Aek Udon hospital said no)?

Yes to Suan Pluh BKK

If the tourist visa can not be changed to a non imm O I will go to Vientiane to get a non imm O. Do I need to show an income statement for the 3 months non imm O visa stating purpose 'Visit wife'?

Not to get the 90 day visa there.

I read somewhere that you need a document stating your marital status in your home country. This document showing that I am divorced in farangland they kept at the amphur as a condition of issuing a Thai marriage certificate. As long as i stay in Thailand and has the Thai marriage certificate, will I ever have to prove that I don't have a farang wife?

Obtained at the Embassy of your nationality, in Thailand. If you are changing the visa in Thailand, you will need this. If you are just applying for the extension, in most cases they do not ask for it. Bring it just in case.

What would be the minimum documents you have to bring to get a non imm O?

You will need the following:

1. Copy of Household Registration of Thai Wife.

2. Copy of Identification Card of Thai Wife.

3. Copy of Marriage Certificate

4. Statement of guarantee of pension income from your Embassy that you have an income of at least Baht 40,000 per month or letter of guarantee from a foreign employer, that you are a employee, salary, position, years worked or proof of this Thai income by you or your wife with the last three months of Phor Ngor Dor.1 (Personal Income tax form filed on a monthly basis) and Phor Ngor Dor.91 ( Filed on a yearly basis in March)

5.Copy of birth certificates of children. (if any)

6.Photo of place of residence. (show house’s number)

7.Map and telephone’s number of place of residence.

8.If working, a letter of guarantee from your employer. A copy of work permit as well if working in Thailand.

9. Photos of your wife clothes and your clothes in the same closet, picture of your wife and you sitting on a living room sofa and pictures of the wedding. (This is not required if you have a birth certificate of children together.)

10. Application form TM 7 with 2x2 inch square photo’s attached.

11. A valid passport

12.If married overseas, the marriage certificate must be certified at the local Embassy of the country where the marriage took place, and it must be translated and certified by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. This must then by certified by the District Office where the Thai spouse has their household registration.

Do I have to bring my wife in person or only her ID?

She must go as well

Thanks (and I apolgize for asking questions that are partly answered before, but I am going to have a child in early March and would like to be here. Also Vientiane stamped my passport with something (only partly readable) like due to several visa runs I might be refused visa in the future,)

Congrats on the coming baby.

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com

All the above information is GREAT!!

What I would like to know is this:

I have a website that is my main source of income in Thailand, exporting Thai products legally. I would like to know if this applies as income in Thailand. Also, if so, what would I have to produce to obtain and non immigrant O visa to stay with my wife in Thailand?

Thank you

I have a website that is my main source of income in Thailand, exporting Thai products legally. I would like to know if this applies as income in Thailand. Also, if so, what would I have to produce to obtain and non immigrant O visa to stay with my wife in Thailand?

Thank you

If you have a work permit and are a employee... Three months of the PND #1 (monthly withholding tax)

Otherwise, Your wife can show the PND 94( Half year report) and PND 90 ( Yearly report) If your wife is a employee... Three months of the PND #1 (monthly withholding tax)

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com

Thanks sunbelt, but do I really need the 40k for the 1st time 3 monts non O 'Visit wife'? And do I really have to bring a pregnant wife from the jungle to BKK to get this 3 months visa? And also - how many days must be left on the tourist visa (exp Jan 1)?

Thanks again

Edited by philo

Yes you really need a 3 month record and yes the wife is required. There is a slight chance immigration could accept a medical certificate but for first application believe they would more likely ask you to return later. Perhaps that would be a case where a law firm such a Sunbelt could be of extra help but will leave it for them to say if they believe it is possible or not.

For the change to non immigrant O visa valid for 90 days you can use a bank deposit of 400k - but you will not be able to use that for the one year extension of stay and that will require the 40k family income requirement be met. To obtain a visa at a Consulate normally marriage certificate and copy of wife ID are what is required. If you have a red stamp saying return not welcome believe I would try a different Consulate myself.

Edited by lopburi3

Thanks, but I have seen a lot of post stating that financial document are needed only for the 1 year extension, and also all I need is a proof of my pension validiated by my BKK embassy - the money does not have to go to a Thai account.

I will bring what I have to Suan Pluh. If I fail I will try to get 1 month extension of the tourist visa or go to Vientiane to get a new tourist visa.

All I want to do is to take care of my orchid garden in the Nong Khai countryside (sic)

To obtain the conversion to non immigrant visa at immigration requires the 400k bank account. You asked how many days had to remain on a tourist visa so that appears to be what you were asking and it was normally 21 days but recently that has not been strictly enforced. Immigration can accept the 400k for conversion but not for extension of one year.

You will require a bank account, letter of account balance even if using retirement pension. The amount will not be a major factor and your pension does not have to be deposited into the account. You obtain letter from your Embassy and provide and supporting paperwork to immigration.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks to everybody.

I now have a statement from my embassy in English that I have more than 1 million Baht a year in pension.

1, Must it be translated to Thai?

2. I have an account in SCB with a few k? Do I need this account and to bring an updated book?

3. As I have the pension - Do I need the 400k in my Thai bank ALSO - or is the pension letter good enough??

3. I get the pension on my farang account with Visa-card. No Thai-bank transfer needed?

Do I need my wife's birth sertificate (kor ror 2)? Or mine from farang-land?

(I wish I'd stayed home: even Suan Pluh has exchanged the names of TM 86 and TM 87 on the guide I was given ,,,)

Edited by philo

Are you trying to convert visa or extend your stay from a non immigrant visa? As your visa expired January 1 will assume you have done the conversion and are now asking about extension of stay? That is normally done with between 30 and 21 days remaining on your current permitted to stay stamp.

1. Embassy income statement should be acceptable in Thai or English. Supporting documents may also be checked so take with you.

2. Account and account letter/passbook/copies should always be taken.

3. 400k is not an option for extension of stay - only for conversion of visa.

3b. As new regulations are income and not support do not believe they will be required - but I suspect you or wife may be asked how you live with no money.

If you are over age 50 you might want to consider using retirement rather than marriage as it is less complex and your pension seems to be adequate.

Are you trying to convert visa or extend your stay from a non immigrant visa? As your visa expired January 1 will assume you have done the conversion and are now asking about extension of stay? That is normally done with between 30 and 21 days remaining on your current permitted to stay stamp.

1. Embassy income statement should be acceptable in Thai or English. Supporting documents may also be checked so take with you.

2. Account and account letter/passbook/copies should always be taken.

3. 400k is not an option for extension of stay - only for conversion of visa.

3b. As new regulations are income and not support do not believe they will be required - but I suspect you or wife may be asked how you live with no money.

If you are over age 50 you might want to consider using retirement rather than marriage as it is less complex and your pension seems to be adequate.

I am on a one month extension of my tourist visa (expires 31 Jan). I have been to see the f@#$%^& stupid immigration in Nong Khai, Udon and BKK several times - and every time I get different answers and requirements in spoken or written non understandable tinglish.

I cannot drag my 7+months pregnant wife everywhere so I think I will go Vientiane for a blind shot. If I don't get a 3 months non imm O in Vientiane on:

Passport, pictures etc ...

Marriage sertificate from Thailand

Letter from amphur that I really stay at her fathers' house

Letter from a big Thai hospital that I will have a child in 2 months time

ID, housebook for wife

Pictures of wedding, house, sofa etc.

Letter in English from my embassy that I have a (gross) pension of 100k+ a month (which everybody but the Thais will understand is withdrawn from a farang account on a Visa card).

Map of the way to her fathers house.

then I will try to get a new tourist visa or sit a boat over the Mekong back (sic).

Only in Thailand have I ever seen contradictionary stupidness such as you have to present a 'Single Sertificate' both BEFORE and AFTER you are married (it is required with TM 86 along with the marriage sertificate ...)

TIT & have a nice weekend

Edited by philo

You do not have to come to Thailand to "register" your marriage.

A legal marriage anywhere is acceptable.

If it can be done before you arrive it will make life easier.

To marry in Thailand you must first make a Declaration to your embassy, that you are free to marry.

Get it translated into Thai and certified by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

Not difficult, but tedious.

I must have missed something but is 400 000B in the bank now not used any more? This 40 000B a month thing I don't have. The 400 000B in a bank I can do and can leave it there. I have seen elsewhere that a requirement is the 400 000 Baht in the bank. Are you sure that this is no longer the case?

Very sure. Only 40k per month family income is accepted for new applicants since National Police Order 606/2006.

(6) In case of the applicant who is

married to a Thai wife, one of them

or both of them need to have the

total annual income that is

averaged out not less than 40,000

Baht per month. Except for the case

that the said foreign national has

entered Thailand before this Order

is enforced and the foreign national

has been permitted to stay in the

Kingdom by the result of having

married to a Thai wife, then if the

applicant does not have the said

income, then, the latest 3 months

records of the account book of any

Bank in Thailand with the account

name of either or both parties need

to have the amount of money not

less than 400,000 Baht.

5. According to the Criterion No. 6,

the applicant is required to attach the

certificate of having the savings in the

bank account of any Bank in Thailand

and copy of the bank account, or

evidences of personal income of either

party or both that shows the total

income of both parties not less than

40,000 Baht per month, such as the

evidence of the personal income tax

filing and the receipt, evidence of being

a pensioner, credentials of receiving th

interest of the saving money, or the

evidences of having other income from

other related organizations.

such as the

evidence of the personal income tax

filing and the receipt, evidence of being

a pensioner, credentials of receiving th

interest of the saving money, or the

evidences of having other income from

other related organizations.

As your wife does not require a work permit I believe it would not be that difficult to find her employment that results in tax payments on a 40k monthly income if push comes to shove. Any income you have would lower her tax payment requirement as it is combined income.

I believe you will find most middle income Thai indeed do have at least 40k family income these days as in most cases both work.

Thanks a lot for you prompt and helpful answers. Sorry to keep asking but I am stressing out.

OK, Mainly I work here volunteering and helping hil tribe people. I don't earn much, but I get paid for some things and can show Australian tax returns of about AU$10 000 a year. From last year I got paid extra money from the Army Reserve which doesn't show on my tax return (it is tax free) but does in my bank balance. Some of the money from the Army and some other sources also gets paid to me through a business. Hmmm, none of this is regular work. I do it when it is available and when I need it, but over I year I would have an average of 40 000B per month. Is there any way I can word all this to give them what they want?

Sorry I know that is a confusing way to live and make money, but it works for me.

Thanks sunbelt, but do I really need the 40k for the 1st time 3 monts non O 'Visit wife'? And do I really have to bring a pregnant wife from the jungle to BKK to get this 3 months visa? And also - how many days must be left on the tourist visa (exp Jan 1)?

Thanks again

I have just received my first 3 month non O and didnt need to show any proof of income.

Although i had it because i was told i needed it.

I got my proof of income letter from the British Embassy back within 1 hour on the with only 1 western union transfer slip of 25k baht (had 3 months worth with me but not asked for). Told them i recieved this weekly could have been lieing but wasnt and a letter from my employer (me) that i recieve 1.3 million baht per year (although illegal which i do not condone this could have been knocked up on any pc in 5 mins.)

Going back to UK for a month end of March so will get 1 year extension there no problems.

Good luck